The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 13, 2006, 10:11 AM   #1
rc_racer_007

Very close one last night...

Last night I called off work to go to a local bar to see a band I really like play, my girlfriend was with me, my two friends from Moorehead, KY. (this was in Charleston, WV BTW) and one of their friends. So were standing outside, well its still inside, you walk through these wooden doors then there is this open area where you can go upstairs to the real bar (its 21+) or enter the downstairs bar and concert area which is 18+ (im 20 BTW). So we were standing in this open area talking to the bassist of the band we went to see and the bouncers tell us to go inside cause other bars are letting people out and if they see us they may want to try and get in and they werent letting any more people in. Its about 3am at the time.

So we go inside and the band we came to see went onstage to do a jam thing with another band. During this one of the bouncers went racing to the door, and at the time i was pretty close to the door. maybe 20 feet from the entrance to the little open space in the front i talked about. And these two big guys (ill leave it at that) were starting trouble at the door. one of em was about 350-400 pounds (not fat but just BIG, ya know), and the other about 250 id say. so I kept watching and they started shoving then it looked like it calmed down, one of the bouncers came inside told them to kill all the speakers and turn the house lights on, two guys were holding up cell phones, i guess talking to 911 and them recording every thing.

Then all of a suddon the one bouncer and the big guy get into it and the bouncer was on him long enough to get him to the ground then the shut the doors and press against em with all they got to lock em and keep the guys out and they started yelling every one to the back! And then i heard they had a gun. I made sure my friends were going, i thought I had my gf but it was my friend, so i stopped and got her and made sure i had ahold of her and ran to the back. Every one stopped at the stage area,, which if they shot through the door they would have been hit. I went pass the stage and into the bands area and loading dock thing they have for the bands, me and some of the band we were going the back door tell the guys outside to get in, lock the door, make sure there is no other way in.

then we talked to one of the bouncers and they said the guy pulled a gun, and this bouncers are big mean guys, one guy is like the state ultimate cage fighter guy. he said he might have gotten one shot off but not too was he wouldna got his trakia (sp?). But the big guy did fire 1 or 2 shots. someepopel said they heard three, but he only fired them in the air was he walked away aroudn the corner. I guess showing his dominance?

But they police came and arrested both guys as they got into their car. No one was hurt, but it left every one pretty shaken up. And that was a really stupid reason to pull a gun. Cause they wouldnt let you in a bar at 3am after the other ones are closed? Seriously. Im just glad no one got hurt. The guys in the band we came to see said in 5 years of playing nothing like that has ever happened. I mean for christ sakes, its charleston, wv! but that just goes to show that this crap happens every where. I mean i know charleston isnt a safe heaven by any stretch, but i thought it was safe enough from that crap.

This just further reinforces why I am getting a Springfield Armory XD45 in a month when i turn 21 and a permit to carry sometime after. (Yeah i know i nths sutation pulling a gun would have been stupid, but you all know what im getting at). but yeah, just figured id share this with yall. Im going back out tonight to see the same band in huntington (about 30 miles away) last time they will be around here foir a while before they start doing a national tour. Id give band names and such, but im sure yall dont wanna hear that, lol.

keep safe.
Old May 13, 2006, 10:16 AM   #2
yomama

Even if you get your permit, you can't bring it to the bar buddy. They will really have a field day with you.

Most of safety and preperation focuses on not being in the wrong place, and not putting yourself there. I would ask, do I really need to go here? I don't care for bars due to gun laws.
Old May 13, 2006, 10:45 AM   #3
XavierBreath

If you choose to carry a gun, you will have to make some lifestyle changes, I think. Eventhough West Virginia does not list bars as being off limits, the bar owner simply has to post a No Firearms Allowed sign any where, any way, in any language, and you are illegal to carry in his establishment. I would be willing to bet every bar in WV has such a sign somewhere.

You made the best decision........escape the building,........ except you chose to lock yourself in instead of escape. Not a good move. If you had a gun on your person, your best option would still have been to escape. If trouble is coming in the front of the building, go out the back.

Quote:
he said he might have gotten one shot off but not too was he wouldna got his trakia (sp?).
Yeah, that bouncer is a knucklehead. He won't be grabbing anyone's trachea with a bullet bouncing around in his skull.

I would choose my bars a bit more wisely, or perhaps catch some sleep at 3AM. When you carry a gun, you make some lifestyle changes, or your lifestyle will sooner or later catch up with you.

Quote:
Places off-limits while carrying in WV
Date updated: Jul 29, 2005 @ 8:19 am
?61-7-11a.
Court Houses.
Family Law Masters Office.
Magistrates Office.
Primary and Secondary School Property including School buses.
Any facility that is being used for a Primary or Secondary School Function while that function is going on.
Any where a sign is posted saying No Firearms Allowed. The signs do not have to be of any set size or design.
All Federal restrictions apply. Federal Buildings, Post Offices, Military Compounds, Federal Courthouses. Etc.
Old May 13, 2006, 11:05 AM   #4
rc_racer_007

guys, im not saying im gonna carry into a bar, i wouldnt, thats asking for trouble.,,, that was a hypothetical statement. i was just telling yall what happened last night, and crayz people like that reinforces why i want to carry.

idk, fleeing a bar when people with guns outside doesnt seem smart to me even now after its all over. I still woulda dont the same thing if i was i nthe situation again.
Old May 13, 2006, 12:23 PM   #5
mgdavis

Better grammer, punctuation, and capitalization would have made that story much easier to wade through.
That being said, I used to go to local all-ages shows, and understand being out late to see a favorite band play. Next time, you might want to consider packing up and heading home before the bars close, this is a time when there are quite a few drunk drivers on the road. Also, if the bouncers are expecting trouble, it could be a clue that you don't want to be there anymore.
Old May 13, 2006, 12:53 PM   #6
12-34hom

Staying away from potential spots that harbor incidents that you described will go a long way in keeping you safe and out of legal troubles.

XB stated that = lifestyle changes are mandatory when CCW. I'll second that notion.

A gun will never replace common sense.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old May 13, 2006, 01:26 PM   #7
Win62a

Alcohol and violence... a marriage made in hell.
Old May 13, 2006, 01:52 PM   #8
Wildalaska

Quote:
crayz people like that reinforces why i want to carry.
Stay out of crazy bars at 3am and you will likely to reduce your statistical probability of seeing crazy people.

WildlesscraziesduringdaylightAlaska
Old May 20, 2006, 12:00 AM   #9
Eghad

Depending on where you live pulling into your driveway at 3:00 am can still be an adventure sometimes.

NRA Life Member
Old May 22, 2006, 12:40 AM   #10
The Body Bagger

So what bar were you at where you're not even 21.......just kidding, thought I'd point out the obvious.
Old May 22, 2006, 08:02 AM   #11
jcoiii

Um, he did note that the bar is divided into two sections. Downstairs = 18+ for the bands. Upstairs = 21+ where the alcohol is served.

I do not aim with my hand.......
Old May 22, 2006, 08:17 AM   #12
HangFire83

Glad you made it out okay.

Jeff Cooper.
Old May 22, 2006, 10:23 AM   #13
SpookBoy

EXACT SAME REASON I want to carry..
Considder yourself lucky you and your comrades walked away.