The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 10, 2015, 03:15 AM   #1
MWDG3

BADLANDS Home Defense

http://badlandstactical.org/

Last weekend Badlands offered a new Home Defense course not yet on the schedule. No firearms were required for the two days. Instructors were Oklahoma 2015 Sheriff of the Year Bobby Whittington and DOE Federal Agent Rich Johnson. Cost was $350 including lodging.

Day one started with lecture about the five arenas of combat. Discussion involved typical information on different types of firearms homeowners expect to use in a home invasion. Most of the time was spent on subjects most of us rarely take the time to consider. Subjects like the psychological impact on the victim forced to take a human life. They spoke about their own experiences including psychological impact on family, friends and community. We also discussed legal considerations, civil vs criminal liability and impact from media. After lunch we went to the range for terminal ballistic demonstrations with typical home defense calibers and construction materials. Based on student reactions I believe this part of the class had the biggest impact on our perceptions.

Day two began back in class with lecture about strengths and weakness of home construction and design. How to develop a saferoom and plan for defense or escape during a home invasion. Then split into groups to discuss ways of hardening our residences. After lunch we ended the day with actual home invasion scenarios using simunition rounds.

This was not my first course at Badlands. Overall the curriculum was laid out well which is what I've learned to expect from this facility. All instructors are knowledgeable with the subject matter and have the people skills to transfer said knowledge. It's good to see new courses and constantly evolving existing courses. With continued facility upgrades I'm happy to see my tuition reinvested and look forward to future training opportunities at Badlands.

https://www.oklahomasheriffs.org/201...f-of-the-year/

Terminal ballistics.

BYOB, bring your own bag!

Old December 10, 2015, 09:36 AM   #2
g.willikers

Sounds like a good course.
Like the quote sez - "The gun is the least of it." - whoever originated it.
Thanks for the info.