The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 29, 2013, 04:35 PM   #1
ZVP

Recoil pads?

I just ordered a slip on recoil pad due to my project H/D Shotgun having no pad (what a sholder breaker!).
I had origonally wanted to try a LimbSaver but they are out of stock all over the net! JUst finding a second choice was quite a process! I got lucky at Midway Arms and the salesperson found a second place brand which Ican;t remember.
Nevertheless, brands be damned, what is going on with simple parts like recoil pads? There were no "fitted" pads available for my Mossberg 550 stock!
It seems like all areas of gun repair are affected in this "Recession" on the firearms front!
Parts seem to be affected across the board!
BPDave
Old April 29, 2013, 07:30 PM   #2
OkieCruffler

I've been waiting 8 weeks now for a set of High Standard springs from Wolff. Things are slow all over.
Old April 30, 2013, 11:00 AM   #3
BigJimP

Things are just backed up all over --- with the volume of orders out there...

Recoil pads...I don't know why they'd be in short supply / but most pads have to be "Fit" to the stock ----although some of them are direct replacements for the OEM butt plate or pad...there aren't that many direct bolt on pads. Any decent gunsmith ...or woodworker can grind a new pad to fit your gun ( Kick Eez is my personal favorite )...but whatever you like.
Old April 30, 2013, 01:57 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

2 second Google search found them on Amazon, SVL Limbsaver, Midway USA, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, and at Cabela's - all have them in stock

Where were you looking?
Old May 6, 2013, 09:11 PM   #5
CDR_Glock

Recoil pads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinFL View Post
2 second Google search found them on Amazon, SVL Limbsaver, Midway USA, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, and at Cabela's - all have them in stock

Where were you looking?
My assumption is that he was shopping locally.

I find the Limbsaver for the M4 to work well with collapsible stocks. Slug, Magnums or double magnums are not an issue.
Old May 6, 2013, 09:20 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

Nope, he said he was searching all over the net.....
Old May 6, 2013, 11:21 PM   #7
dwaawd

+ one on the Kick Ezz. I'm getting the Sporting Clay Dual Action put on my Win 97 now.

http://www.kickeezproducts.com/grind...ecoil-pads.php
Old May 7, 2013, 02:14 AM   #8
MrApathy

limbsaver makes a slipon pad. I love my limbsaver pads they really tame the recoil and make a day on the range not a bruising experience. sorry to hear you had trouble finding one.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old May 7, 2013, 04:47 AM   #9
Virginian

Its about like pump guns. Limbsaver, Kickeez, Pachmyr - they all work. I was in Lafayette Shooters the other day and they had a few recoil pads. Only one "black" gun on the wall, but tons of everything else. The run is still on.
Old May 8, 2013, 01:48 AM   #10
ZVP

A helpful phone salesman at Larry Potterfields site found a Kick-Eze to fit for only $30 so I grabbed it!
I guess the main problem is that I needed the meduim sized one and it is the most sold out!
I got her now!

ZVP
Old May 11, 2013, 07:05 PM   #11
ZVP

Kickeez slip on

I took the Project shotgun out yesterday to really run the new Kickeez Slip on Recoil pad thru it's paces with a variety of loads.
To my suprise Remington H/V Phesant loads had the biggest kick! Nothing that the Kickeeze couldn't handle though! The violent shock turned into a well padded push! Next worse was the Estate heavy target loads , again handled admirablly
!
I have a theroy that a slip-on gathers air during recoil and also applies it to recoil reduction. I used the additional insert pad and there is an air gap, Hey if the theory is correct, good for it!
Very satisfied with the product and the slip-on cover dosen't detract from it's function!
BPDave
Old May 11, 2013, 07:43 PM   #12
ninjaamt

Has anyone improvised a jacket pad?? I received a nice trap vest for Christmas but has no pad or pad pocket. I was thinking of sewing something inside it. I'm sure someone else has already done this. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old May 12, 2013, 06:49 AM   #13
BigD_in_FL

Browning vests have a pocket for their pad called, IIRC, Reactar or something like that. The Issue with a pocket pad is that it changes your LOP and if you shoot without it one day (like when it is 95 and 95% humidity, your scores might change.
Put a good pad on your gun to the right dimensions for you and forget about it being there