The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 6, 2018, 04:05 PM   #1
Orion6

T/C Compass question(s)

Hello,

I’m in the need for an affordable deer rifle for this Fall and I’m looking at the deals out there on 3-4 different rifles.

The Compass has the most features, but I’ve read a few reviews where the accuracy was just so-so, even with costlier factory ammo.

I can get a Venture for the same price, but they seem to be hit and miss also.

My question is this - what kind of accuracy are YOU getting with the Compass with factory ammo? I’m looking at .308 or .30-06. I can’t reload anytime real soon due to financial constraints, but hope to do so eventually.

I’m also looking at a 783 or Ruger American, but the American just doesn’t do much for me. I know a ton of people like them.

I really like the features and sub-$300 price, but I am concerned about inconsistency and TC’s track record with rifles.
Old June 6, 2018, 04:18 PM   #2
imp

Just curious, but can you elaborate on why the American dosent do anything for you? I would take it in a heartbeat over the 783, and while I know nothing about the Compass, if it has a history of spotty accuracy, I'd pass on it too.
Old June 6, 2018, 08:43 PM   #3
Orion6

The Rugers, to me, just look rougher than even the other cheap rifles.

I’m not a Ruger hater - I have several handguns. I just wasn’t impressed with the fit and finish (which I’m not expecting “nice” in these rifles) and the stocks. I’ve looked at several and all had one side of the stock channel touching the barrel, not to mention a really crude finish.

My daughter has an Axis and it’s much nicer in metal finish and the stock is free-floated completely.
Old June 6, 2018, 09:34 PM   #4
fourbore

I looked at the Venture and it seemed like a better stock and feel than either Ruger American or Compass. I have an american in 450 BM and I am happy with the gun. But if I was looking for a low-moderate price 7mm-08 for deer, today I lean toward the Venture.

The compass and american are both light enough to carry all day. That is a plus for either of those. Venture also. My 450 is very light and fast. The short barrel makes a difference. I think Ruger has that covered better. You can get a compac model and use the longer butt insert.

As for accuracy the Venture has had great reviews and a friend has one. No problem with 1moa. You dont even need that in a deer rifle. The venture has the accuracy for some serious paper punching off season. Now,the Ruger and Compass may do the same. At this price point gun to gun accuracy will vary. Ruger does produce the occasional lemon. Same with savage - most everybody I guess. IIRC, the Venture has a 3 shot 1moa guarantee. You wont get that from Ruger. Venture is not hit and miss.

I dont know what a 783 is. If it is a Remington, not a gift. No way.

My buddies have a couple 243 American's that can shoot 1moa or close enough from what they tell me. The stocks are thin. The gun is very light and handy. My 450 is amazing, but again for a typical 7mm +/- deer rifle, today, I would probably go venture. Or pay more for the Tikka. Now its more money. The venture is more money than a compas. People hate to pay up, so; its (venture) days are limited. Cheap sells.

BTW, the Ruger floats the barrel and used steel bedding blocks in the stock. It is a great system. The Ruger bolt is a good design but no better or worse than TC. I dont know how TC beds the action. The Ruger trigger can be set very light and remain safe if that matters. I dont know what you can do with the TC or if its needed or wanted by the OP. I do like the savage accu stock with the metal insert. But; I am not a fan of savage in general. No reason, just me. Savage deserves credit for driving the industry with safe (accu type) triggers and steel insert bedding.

TC has a great reputation for rifles and pistols. I dont know what you are reading? BUT! , OK, today TC is part of smith and wesson. I dont actually know anyone with a TC/S&W bolt action. That was IIFC an older venture. I do know of a recent Encore and the trigger was beyond horrible. it was off the scale on my gauge that reads to 8 pounds. A spring kit fix that problem. The gun was purchased as a frame only, so we dont know how the new barrels might perform. The OP does not seem focused on fine points like how the gun carries and points but more some vague accuracy concern to hit a deer. Heck, I can do that with a smooth bore shotgun.

So much talk and I forgot to summarize. I suggest you handle all the guns mentioned and forget the accuracy question. Pay attention to the weight and balance. How the rifle shoulders. How does the grip and forarm feel. How will you will hold it while walking. Dry fire if you can. If you are like me, a heavy gun will wear you down. Read the specs.

Last edited by fourbore; June 6, 2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old June 7, 2018, 06:40 AM   #5
taylorce1

The one and only T/C Venture rifle I owned was MOA or better with pretty much anything I fed it. I just didn't need another .270 so when a buddy needed a deer rifle I hooked him up. Most of the guys I've read using the Compass are getting good results as well, most are shooting the Creedmoor though.
Old June 7, 2018, 03:59 PM   #6
Orion6

Thank you for the input.

I can actually get a Venture new for the same money as any of these. I may go that route, although I love the 3-position safety on the Compass.
Old June 8, 2018, 05:43 AM   #7
Bfglowkey

All have minor issues but think long game

The T/C compass, Rueger Americans, Savage Axis, Mossberg Patriots and Remmy 783's all have similar shortcomings due to the production method used to get these mostly excellent entry level rifles into our hands. Thinner barrels, flimsy stocks etc. Small differences in features and future upgradeability are the key to making a good decision for yourself.

Every model above will have to be broken down, inspected and re-seated into their factory stocks to ensure true free floating of the barrel. You could rely on luck that yours didn't need it but I have handled 10 different entry rifles of friends ( some multiple copies of same manufacturer) and by taking that time averted or fixed issues both actual and potential. Good torque discipline on all screws, inspection of barrel channel will alleviate problems. Here is what else I noticed of each one I handled:

T/C Compass: Magazine was loose and was finicky both in factory stock and when upgraded to Boyd stock. Trigger was decent, action was surprising and smooth but if aggressive on the cycle could bind SLIGHTLY forcing you to slow down a smidge and make sure you were doing things right. The threaded barrel is a very nice bonus. It got hot FAST but wasn't horrible. Handled the 308 and 6.5 chamberings of this rifle.

Savage Axis: Axis without the accutrigger is a tough pill to swallow. That thing is not fun to pull at all. Lucky for a few bucks or some You Tube ingenuity you can bring it down from the 8.4 lbs it comes at ( avg of the 3 I touched) to about 3lbs. The bolt head design on the Savages is pretty nice and all of them shot well. If you like to tinker you will enjoy the ease and aftermarket support for the long term. Factory stock felt uncomfortable in my hands and was not easy for me personally to get a good finger rest on the trigger. Fouled or clean that barrel refused to give up its accuracy which is noteworthy since many times we forget to clean our rifles after a hunt.

Ruger Americans: 2 touched and both had the exact same barrel touching on the left side channel near the end of the forearm grip. Easy to fix just annoying. The bedding blocks are a great design and once you get the stock trimmed down on the left side ( very very minor trimming...more like sanding) it really doesn't move much. Bolt cycling on the Ruegers is worry free after a few minutes of wear in. The full action design means no binding if your overly aggressive and I personally loved the "zip" sound it made. Some hate it. The magazine design is also tried and true but either loved or hated. It was easy and never failed both on factory stock and on upgraded stocks. Trigger adjusted well and only had creep on the lowest setting ( 3.1 lbs as tested)

Mossberg Patriot: Best feeling factory stock of the bunch. Trigger was avg, but I will say again it feels real good when you shoulder it. Accuracy was good but not great. Harder to find aftermarket support for them but the do exist. Of all the bolt designs I liked this one the least but it was reliable and rugged ( just the look of it was my beef...but we all have different tastes) This one took the most work but my buddy LOVES the results and he is the current front runner on pig hunts.

Rem 783: Action feels like a "plastic" version of the 700. Only way to describe it. It cycles good but I just don't feel confident it will hold up over the years. Otherwise the factory stock was good. Felt solid when shouldered. Barrel had a bit of discoloration form quickly. Reading up many say they rust quick due to factory coating not being very good. We cleaned it up and applied our own Blueing….never saw an issue again. Most finicky of the bunch ( all 3 were picky with loads) but handloads cleared up the problem. But all 3 did like the Winchester Xtreme point 150g hunting ammo so inexpensive backup we all carry if we are using our 308s. ( all 3 remmys were 308) Triggers were blah but no creep. 2 of them got swapped out and it made a noticeable difference in accuracy.
Old June 8, 2018, 11:31 AM   #8
Don Fischer

For what the OP want's I can see only one way to go. Read about the different inexpensive rifle's here nd site's like this and he'll find two rifle's that will do what he want's. In fact the TC just may do it also but sound's like hit or miss with it. I don't care for rifle's with plastic stocks so wouldn't buy a Ruger American or the Savage. Both have a really good bunch of people that really like them and claim great accuracy. I've never used either but at some point enough is said about this rifle and that, that the chance is worth taking, Savage and Ruger are both there for me. Let me throw one more in that never get's talked about, Mossberg Patriot! I got the first one to see if it really would shoot. Long winter and bored! I got it with the plastic stock as that's all I could get here but changed it out right away with a factory wood stock. Very very good shooting rifle. 243 and I tried a box of inexpensive factory Federals with it. Stayed right 3/4" to just over 1" with that stuff. Haven't got much to not like for me. Because it it I bought a second in 308. Never put a jacketed bullet through it, got it just for cast bullet's. Now the first one with the plastic stock cost me $299 without a scope. I think with a scope they are under $00 or maybe just over. So add that as a third choice base only on my experience with the ones I have.

I know nothing abut the TC and have read very little about it but what I have read has been good. Something your gonna find no matter which rifle you buy is that every manufacturer let's a bad one out now and then! And in the price range your looking at, I wouldn't expect to much in the way of accuracy, maybe right around 1 1/2 2 100yd with the right ammo. But from what I have heard and experienced, these inexpensive rifles are much better than that. Don't know why, they just are. I am a fan of Remington's and have several. one was a present years ago in a plastic stock, one of the worst shooting rifle's I have ever owned, but it was inexpensive. I like to fool with bedding on rifles and trigger's and that Remington needed completely re-bedded. I could have removed the action screw's and fire the rifle with no problem, couldn't hit anything though! Completely re-did the bedding and it turned into a great shooter. It does have a wood stock I picked up along the way. Much as I like Remington's, I would never buy one with a plastic stock. O do like inexpensive rifles though, I can afford them! I an also a fan of inexpensive scope's. I have two Nikons and two leupold/Redfields, both very nice scope and hven't been able to shoot any of then off a rifle yet! As well as these are working, especially for my needs, I wouldn't buy a scope much more expensive than them. $300 should buy one heck of a nice scope that will last a lifetime if taken care of. You could buy a $2000 scope and abuse it and you would likely turn it into garbage!

I'm gonna get another new rifle or two this year. Got enough now but just want something new. Going to look for a Savage in a wood stock in maybe either a 260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoore. Just something to do!
Old June 9, 2018, 12:46 AM   #9
dvdcrr

TC compass 243 Win. 1.1 moa with factory ammo. Better with handloads. This rifle fits smaller shooters very well. Has some heft, not Kimber light. Scope comes up perfect for me. Trigger has almost no creep, but is stiff. Plastic stock is a little soft, barbed wire easily scratches it. Metal finish is very nice. Overall I recommend.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old June 9, 2018, 04:00 PM   #10
Woodsbum

They are great rifles,my 308 shoots as well as my savage model 10 with a 24" heavy barrel.Only tried 2 different loads so far but I plan on trying rem core -loc soft points soon.
Old June 12, 2018, 07:28 AM   #11
Orion6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfglowkey View Post
The T/C compass, Rueger Americans, Savage Axis, Mossberg Patriots and Remmy 783's all have similar shortcomings due to the production method used to get these mostly excellent entry level rifles into our hands. Thinner barrels, flimsy stocks etc. Small differences in features and future upgradeability are the key to making a good decision for yourself.

Every model above will have to be broken down, inspected and re-seated into their factory stocks to ensure true free floating of the barrel. You could rely on luck that yours didn't need it but I have handled 10 different entry rifles of friends ( some multiple copies of same manufacturer) and by taking that time averted or fixed issues both actual and potential. Good torque discipline on all screws, inspection of barrel channel will alleviate problems. Here is what else I noticed of each one I handled:

T/C Compass: Magazine was loose and was finicky both in factory stock and when upgraded to Boyd stock. Trigger was decent, action was surprising and smooth but if aggressive on the cycle could bind SLIGHTLY forcing you to slow down a smidge and make sure you were doing things right. The threaded barrel is a very nice bonus. It got hot FAST but wasn't horrible. Handled the 308 and 6.5 chamberings of this rifle.

Savage Axis: Axis without the accutrigger is a tough pill to swallow. That thing is not fun to pull at all. Lucky for a few bucks or some You Tube ingenuity you can bring it down from the 8.4 lbs it comes at ( avg of the 3 I touched) to about 3lbs. The bolt head design on the Savages is pretty nice and all of them shot well. If you like to tinker you will enjoy the ease and aftermarket support for the long term. Factory stock felt uncomfortable in my hands and was not easy for me personally to get a good finger rest on the trigger. Fouled or clean that barrel refused to give up its accuracy which is noteworthy since many times we forget to clean our rifles after a hunt.

Ruger Americans: 2 touched and both had the exact same barrel touching on the left side channel near the end of the forearm grip. Easy to fix just annoying. The bedding blocks are a great design and once you get the stock trimmed down on the left side ( very very minor trimming...more like sanding) it really doesn't move much. Bolt cycling on the Ruegers is worry free after a few minutes of wear in. The full action design means no binding if your overly aggressive and I personally loved the "zip" sound it made. Some hate it. The magazine design is also tried and true but either loved or hated. It was easy and never failed both on factory stock and on upgraded stocks. Trigger adjusted well and only had creep on the lowest setting ( 3.1 lbs as tested)

Mossberg Patriot: Best feeling factory stock of the bunch. Trigger was avg, but I will say again it feels real good when you shoulder it. Accuracy was good but not great. Harder to find aftermarket support for them but the do exist. Of all the bolt designs I liked this one the least but it was reliable and rugged ( just the look of it was my beef...but we all have different tastes) This one took the most work but my buddy LOVES the results and he is the current front runner on pig hunts.

Rem 783: Action feels like a "plastic" version of the 700. Only way to describe it. It cycles good but I just don't feel confident it will hold up over the years. Otherwise the factory stock was good. Felt solid when shouldered. Barrel had a bit of discoloration form quickly. Reading up many say they rust quick due to factory coating not being very good. We cleaned it up and applied our own Blueing….never saw an issue again. Most finicky of the bunch ( all 3 were picky with loads) but handloads cleared up the problem. But all 3 did like the Winchester Xtreme point 150g hunting ammo so inexpensive backup we all carry if we are using our 308s. ( all 3 remmys were 308) Triggers were blah but no creep. 2 of them got swapped out and it made a noticeable difference in accuracy.
Thanks for that.

I actually looked at more Americans and Axis’ this past weekend.

Same left channel touching on the barrel, but I feel like I can fix that.

I’m pretty well down to the Compass or American. I do also like the Mossberg.
Old June 12, 2018, 08:34 AM   #12
Bfglowkey

Glad it was useful. Last rounds to consider:
If you are not going to tinker much with it for a while then all 3 (Mossberg, rueger and T/C) will serve good as is and my final vote would probably go to the Mossberg. It has plenty of accuracy to hunt and it just feels best out of the box ( to me anyway...shoulder them all yourself and make sure you like the way it feels)and if you decide to upgrade it later down the line the after market support may get better in a year. Also a point to consider is the Patriots and Americans have scope combo deals...if that isn't a factor then no worries. Am excited to hear what you end up with and a range report!
Old June 16, 2018, 02:08 PM   #13
schotzfyred

I've posted this before but it's worth another posting:

My T/C Compass .223 is more than I expected.
I fired the first four rounds at 50 yards, and while the group was just barely on the 8 1/2 x 11 target, it measured .552".
After adjusting the scope, the second group measured .306", third group .356, and the fourth group was in the 10 ring and measured .382".
I was not using premium ammo.
I used my first ever hand loaded .223 Remington consisting of:
Once fired Lake City 5.56 cases.
Bulk Hornady 55 gr soft point bullets
H4895 powder
CCI 400 primers

John "Duke" Wayne