The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 4, 2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Big Tom

Which .22 and Why? (CC ?)

Hey guys, I recently injured my wrist really badly when I took a fall. I hurt it so badly in fact that I can't even shoot my Bersa CC without severe pain taking over. It's so bad I can't even get a follow up shot before I must stop or completely miss my target. I have a Kel tec P32....and sad to say I couldn't do any better with that. I need something lite weight and compact for cc but with minimal recoil. I also need to be able to buy ammo and get good with it.....Enter the .22 LR. I have decided on a Taurus or Beretta tip up design. Here is my ?, which one should I get? Both have pros and cons. The Beretta has the name, fit/finish, and probably a better trigger pull. The Taurus has the longer barrel (every bit helps ballistically speaking), it carries one more round, and its about $70 cheaper (which in terms of .22 means a boat load of ammo for practice. So which would you recommend and why? Thanks guys.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:08 AM   #2
chris in va

I wouldn't use 22 for SD purposes just for the fact they have a high dud rate compared to centerfire cartridges.

Also the Taurus is notorious for jams, not sure about the Beretta.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Big Tom

so .25 then?
Old September 4, 2012, 10:20 AM   #4
9mm

22>25 imo. 22 is proven itself to have killed people, the 25 I havnt heard much. I knew of a story once, a paramedic came to a scene of a guy being shot in the b@lls with a 25, it stopped in his jeans zipper...
Old September 4, 2012, 10:21 AM   #5
chris in va

I'll defer to others on recommendations, but have you considered 'weak hand' carry in the meantime? IE non-dominant side. We practice a lot with it at our matches.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:29 AM   #6
SW40F

Although this is the Semi-Automatic forum, do consider an 8-shot wheel gun such as the Ruger LCR. Less worry about 'dud' ammo, just pull again and select the next round to fire.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Big Tom

I am not good shooting with my off hand. Maybe point blank belly, throat, and head shots would work....but this is for defensive work, not execution style shooting. That just how inaccurate I am with a gun off hand.

As to the wheel gun suggestion: I totally agree with that statement. Problem is I am very, very financially unstable and so one of those two semi autos is more affordable for me. Another factor is that my local gun shops don't have the LCR 22's in. And I cant find em on buds either. I assume they are over $250? Thats all I can afford right now as I am a college student paying his own way through school. plus rent, food, and cell phone.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:36 AM   #8
aarondhgraham

This 22-PLY has been extremely reliable,,,

This 22-PLY has been extremely reliable,,,
It is Taurus' polymer framed version of their PT-22,,,
I use CCI Mini Mags and can't remember ever having a failure.

It only takes a few minutes to clean and lube the gun,,,
Therefore I keep it slick and shiny at all times,,,
And it has always gone bang when I shot it.

I don't know anything about the steel frame Taurus pistols,,,
Nor do I know much about the little Beretta pistols,,,
I just know this one has always performed well.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 4, 2012, 10:47 AM   #9
Big Tom

aaron, thats the one i was looking at with ss slide though! looks nice!
Old September 4, 2012, 11:04 AM   #10
sgms

Haven't had any shooting time with a Taurus but have one of the Beretta tip ups in .22, carried is as a BUG in summer for several years (must say I haven't carried it since the micro 9m/m's have come out) and with mini mags I haven't had a misfire or any other problems with it. A larger caliber would be preferable to the 22 but, if it is what you can handle till your wrist has healed go for it. A .22 is a lot better than an empty hand.
Old September 4, 2012, 11:10 AM   #11
chris in va

Interesting, that polymer Taurus might work.
Old September 4, 2012, 11:18 AM   #12
Big Tom

yes I feel better having something than nothing. I found a thread on another forum concerning the debate of the .22 vs .25. According to 2 of the posts guys did do some ballistics tests on pocket sized .22's and .25's with the .25 coming out on top in all around performance. The problem I see with the .25 is that it is just too expensive for what it is and being that the caliber is bashed and let's be honest dated for the times I can see the .25 one day being extinct and so what good would that do me? I guess I am sticking with .22's with CCI Velociters and Mini Mags for carry. Still debating on the guns though. Love those tips ups and if they prove reliable they can make decent back ups to my .380 or .38.
Old September 4, 2012, 11:37 AM   #13
militant

I wouldn't trust my life with a .22. For similar size, weights and size, you can get a better round for SD. I know the .22 kills people every year, but during an attack, you want to stop an attacker ASAP, not wound, let him/her wound or kill you and then die.
Old September 4, 2012, 11:42 AM   #14
Crow Hunter

Personally, I would take the money that you are going to spend on a new gun and buy extra practice rounds for your current weapon and practice shooting offhand until you can get better. Being able to shoot with either hand is a vital skill to have if you are carrying a gun for defense.

That being said, I would go with a S&W 43c over an automatic for self defense.

If you misload and get the rims out of "order" and get a rim behind the round below it instead of in front of it, you run a greater risk of having a failure to feed in an automatic.

I don't remember for sure but I think those small tip up style autos don't have an extractor in them. I think I remember that from some people who got shot because they thought they cleared one of them only to find out a round was still in the chamber.

If that is true and you have a failure to feed or a dud round, you can't just rack the slide and get a fresh round.

Good luck.
Old September 4, 2012, 11:52 AM   #15
Mystro

I carry a NAA 22lr revolver when I cant carry a big gun. Its the size of my pocket knife and has finished off dozens of deer from car/deer hits. I use Stingers or Yellow jacket and I have never had a 22lr not fire in over 100K of rounds in my life.

Old September 4, 2012, 11:59 AM   #16
L_Killkenny

My Bersa T22 has proven to be reliable with MiniMags and it would give you a great practice platform for your current gun. My pick over you're other two choices.

Learn to shoot with your other hand.
Old September 4, 2012, 12:16 PM   #17
pilpens

If you are limited to a .22LR for defense, then try it in a revolver. Misfire in an emergency situation would be less difficult to resolve with a revolver than with a semi-auto.
=====
Had a Taurus .22LY semi-auto (can't remember the model - similar to the PLY-22 but has aluminum frame). We bought for my GF's grandmother but later sold it back to the store because it was unreliable -- trigger reset issues.
Old September 4, 2012, 12:19 PM   #18
TacticalDefense1911

Have you thought about carrying and shooting weakside? I would find this to be a better option then using a 22lr in an injured strong hand. Just a thought.
Old September 4, 2012, 05:33 PM   #19
Big Tom

I did not consider shooting with my weak side.....than again I suck shooting off handed too.
Old September 4, 2012, 06:12 PM   #20
Bill DeShivs

If you can find a Beretta 950 Jetfire, that might be your best bet. There are millions of .25 autos out there and people buy ammunition for them. The .25 won't be extinct anytime soon!
The Beretta 21 in .22 lr could be a good gun for you-if you find one that works reliably, and you use premium ammunition.
The little NAA mini revolvers are neat.
Old September 4, 2012, 06:18 PM   #21
10-96

Just a wild tangent thought here, Big Tom, but have you given any thought to a .38 revolver with cowboy action loads? Those are crazy mild to shoot, still an acceptable bullet weight, and then there's that grip thing.

When gripping a DA/SA revolver with cowboy loads, you can cup your injured hand with your off-hand and put your off-hand thumb on the left hand side shroud. You're still shooting strong handed, but the majority of the support is coming from the other hand.

I wouldn't recommend one of those ultra lightweight revolvers, but a regular type of 2" - 4" bbl length depending on what you prefer.

Just a thought or two. Hate to see a guy who wants to carry go around all unarmed. Good luck, and I hope the wrist gets better for ya.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 4, 2012, 06:27 PM   #22
moxie

Beretta 21A if you must go auto.

But, I'd go with the Ruger LCR. 8 shots of CCI Velocitors. Good combo. An LCR is light, easy to carry in a pocket holster, reliable, and has a great trigger and great sights.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old September 4, 2012, 07:05 PM   #23
Cheapshooter

I recently bought a Taurus PT22 Poly. Great little gun, and a lot of fun to shoot. To me it is a range shooter, not a CCW firearm. I carry nothing less than a 380ACP for SD. You can do a search on this forum to see some reviews of the little bull mouse gun. Most people have had the same opinion as me. great little gun, especially for the price. I got mine on sale at BPS for a couple pennies under $200. It runs fine with CCI Mini-Mags, Winchester Wildcats, and OK with RGB bulk ammo, and some Federal. It absolutely will not run on Federal Champion. But neither does my Browning Buckmark, or Walther P22. Just not good ammo for an autoloader I guess. If and that is a gigantic if, I were to carry it CCI Mini-Mags would be my only choice.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 4, 2012, 07:20 PM   #24
Kreyzhorse

If you can't handle any type of recoil, a .22lr is better than no gun at all. In a semi auto however, a .25 acp might function better than a rimmed .22 case. I know some posters have reported good functioning .22 semi autos but i dont have any experience with them so I am just winging it here. Anyway, if I were inclined to buy a .25 though, I'd go up to a .32 acp. Again, no power house but a better option than either a .22 or a .25.

A good example of a nice .32 is a Beretta Tomcat.
Old September 4, 2012, 07:39 PM   #25
Bill DeShivs

He already said he can't handle his P32, and that is about the softest-recoiling .32 acp made.