The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 27, 2011, 05:27 PM   #26
Unclenick
Staff

12" is better than 14" in that regard. You should do OK as long as the length isn't stretched out extra long. A flat base design is usually a little shorter for a given weight, and can work where a boattail the same weight won't.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 2, 2011, 11:53 AM   #27
jagwire

55 gr. Sierra Gameking

So after I found that my rifle wouldnt stabilize a 60 gr. Nosler PArtition well enoough for good accuracy I decided to try the 55 gr. Sierra Gameking SBT. After a long search I finally found a box in stock. It appears this is an extremely popular bullet. They all seemed out of stock. Loaded with a charge of 34.0 gr. Hodgdon Varget, this bullet shot 1.5" groups at 200 yds. So I think this will be my load for deer this fall. I did shoot some water filled milk jugs from 200 out to 385 yds. Accuracy seemed to be very acceptable even a 385. Whats good is that the trajectory seems very similar to my stanadard varmint load. Both loads zeroed at 200 yds hit in the same place. So no need to change zero when switching ammunition. I am actually very impressed with the products that I have purchased from Sierra, very good quality.