The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 24, 2006, 09:35 PM   #1
perpster

Sling for Mossberg 500?

I'd appreciate your recommendations on what sling to buy for my Mossberg 500 with 18.5" barrel.

I'm looking for sling to use for carry and for shooting, that will allow for quick transition to belt-holstered handgun in tactical/CQB situations.

I have swivel mounts on stock and magazine spring cover. I don't want to add a third swivel point (like for Ching Sling).

Thank you.
Old September 24, 2006, 09:58 PM   #2
DonR101395

For what your stated intention I would go with a GG&G single point mount ($30) and use a length of tubular nylon ($6) with an HK type snap ($6) for the sling, but given you want to use the stock swivel mounts get yourself a standard M16 sling from CDNN ($15) and some sling swivels from wal mart ($10). The transitions won't be as quick with the two point set up but it can be done.
Old September 25, 2006, 07:19 AM   #3
perpster

Would any of these be good?

http://outdoorconnection.com/products/slings/slings.htm
Old September 25, 2006, 11:30 AM   #4
cloudcroft

I use the Outdoor Connections "SuperSling+" series slings on ALL my long arms, but I "rework" them to suit the particular arm length-wise (distance between sling-swivels) and have to make a second buckle (retainer) for it as well as relocate where/how the Chicago Screws connect, but I do not change the length (i.e., cut) of the sling. I didn't need the "quick-adjust" feature anyway and wanted to make the sling more useful as a "emergency short rope" if needed when afield which it is not if you install it as it SUPPOSED to be.

But all that is way too much trouble for most people.

As it comes from the factory, the SuperSling2+ probably won't tighten-up all the way on your gun and will always have slack in it (which I didn't want). The distance between sling-swivels sometimes is too short on some long arms and you get too much slack when the sling is tightened-up as much as it can be.

The FIRST SuperSling+ I bought years ago didn't fit my rifle right and the company said (on the package I think or maybe it was their website) if I gave them the distance between sling-swivels they'd make me a custom-length sling that WOULD fit -- and I would send in the one in bought to them in exchange -- but they charged me some $$ for that "help"...I argued that charge -- I bought one of their slings that was SUPPOSED to fit properly already -- and they let it go. Don't know if they still do "customs" but you might ask.

I bought the SuperSlings for their decent quality considering the price, and didn't mind the extra work because once it's done the sling needs no further attention. Also, finding just a few Chicago Screws (expensive) isn't easy and the SuperSling+ already had them. So all the "parts" are there for the "rework" except for the extra buckle. I did not make any new holes for the Chicago Screws, I just used the ones already there differently.

In your (and most people's) case, however, you may want to find something different and not go through all that.

Or, just order some quality webbing of the width you want, some buckles to fit said webbing's width, some Chicago Screws and make your own custom-fitted slings. And for your friends, etc.

Frankly, it seems like you really don't know how these "modern" slings are REALLY going to fit -- or not -- until you buy one and put it on your gun...THEN you do. If it doesn't fit right and you don't want to modify it, then you have to take it back and take a chance on the next one you buy, too...probably repeating the process several times until you get one you like. This is true of the more sophisticated slings like the SuperSling2+ which is not so obvious just looking at it in the package due to it's convoluted design...a simple sling -- one that goes from one swivel to the other with no extra loops, retainers, finger-pull loop, etc. -- is easier to figure out if it will fit/work for you or not. Not so of the SuperSling+ series.

But there doesn't seem to be any other way to find out.

-- John D.