The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 10, 2011, 08:17 AM   #1
BillyBeards

First time shooting a pump gun at the trap range.

I'm very new to this so this may be a dumb question so please bare with me.

Yesterday was the second time I went to the local skeet/trap range and like the first time I had a blast, no pun intended. But here's the only difference. For my first round they give me a semi-auto 12g Beretta to use and all went well. For my second game they gave me a Remington 12g 887 pump and boy could I feel the difference in recoil on my cheek. My face was sore all night.
I know they say the semi-auto have less felt recoil but is it really that different or was I doing something wrong?

I'm still trying to decide on what I would like to purchase for myself so I see this as a good thing. I did not like the 887.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Bill
Old July 10, 2011, 08:26 AM   #2
krimmie

A buddy was complaining about this after our third round yesterday...turns out his 870 has a 14" lop(too short for him) and his thumb was smacking his face. I carry an adjustable slip on pad in my bag, once we increased the lop to 14.5", his problem was solved.
Old July 10, 2011, 08:30 AM   #3
oneounceload

While a gas gun can elongate the recoil pulse so the recoil FEELS less, cheek slap (and the bruise) is from a gun that does not fit you properly - and that does not mean just LOP
Old July 10, 2011, 12:26 PM   #4
zippy13

Bill, now you may be getting the point why we stress the importance of gun fit and recommend trying various guns before you make a new gun selection. Remember, the gun makers size their guns based upon their interpretation of the average shooter's dimensions.

Yes, an auto loader and reduce kick considerable. The main reason the Beretta 390 was so well received by comp gunners was its soft shooting. I have yet to run into anyone who selected a gun because it had more kick than others.
Old July 10, 2011, 06:51 PM   #5
BigJimP

A good pump gun - is not a bad choice for a first gun / especially for Trap.

I think you'll just need some time getting a good gunmount / work on your other fundamentals --- and get some tips on "fit". An angled comb gun like most pump guns / can be straightened out with a "comb pad" and to adjust the angle for a good fit. Lenght of pull can be adjusted by different recoil pads.

But if you have the budget for it ....a good semi-auto is not a bad choice either - like the Beretta 390 or 391 series guns/Browning silver, etc ...