The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 17, 2012, 09:36 AM   #1
kilotanker22

Which action to build on for comp.

Hello all in my area there are numerous long and medium range events during the spring and summer months. I am going to build a rifle for such competitions but have not decided on the action to use.

They are Remington 700, savage target action, or the fn produced Winchester model 70 action. Caliber will likely be 300 wsm.
Old November 17, 2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Bart B.

Winchester 70; it's near 3 times as stiff as the Remington and Savage.
Old November 17, 2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Nathan

Savage...the floating bolt head works...

A Sako 75 or true custom are good choices too, but Savage should get you 99% of the othersIMHO
Old November 25, 2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Jimro

I hate to disagree with Bart B. on this....

Savage Target Action, it is the only one of the three that is a true single shot only, and that extra steel on the bottom makes it stiffer than a standard Savage action. Plus floating bolt head for proper alignment, and the fastest lock time of the three.

Jimro
Old November 25, 2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Bart B.

Jimro, Winchester made a couple dozen solid bottom pre '64 classic receivers for the US Army Rifle Team in the 1950's for their .300 Win. Mag. long range match rifles. No magazine cut out whatsoever. Nothing's been as stiff as those. Some outfits tried to get Winchester to make them for custom smiths to use but they refused.

Some 'smiths asked Remington to make a long action single shot 40X for long cartridges, they refused, too.

This aside, no single shot action made to day's equalled the accuracy the standard Win. 70's produced; stiff or flimsy.

And all the round receivers have problems keeping good contact with epoxy bedding with heavy recoiling loads torquing the barreled action. Several folks tried 2 inch long recoil lugs but that didn't help. Only when they were sleeved in flat bottom/side aluminum did they stay in place. Benchresters started sleeving their Rem 722 and 700 short actions long ago with 22 and 24 caliber PPC cases because hot loads torqued them too much. Nowadays all the top ranked benchrest receivers are all flat bottom and sides.

Last edited by Bart B.; November 25, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old November 26, 2012, 04:14 PM   #6
hounddawg

I agree with Jimro so another vote for the Savage target action. Floating bolt head is a wonderful thing.
If you are looking for a 1000 yard rifle you might want to consider taking a look at the 6.5 Creedmore ballistics
Old November 28, 2012, 09:34 AM   #7
kraigwy

My vote goes to the Winchester Model 70.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 28, 2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Jim Watson

A friend is awful happy with his Barnard.
Old November 29, 2012, 01:12 PM   #9
Bart B.

Jim Watson, yes, Barnard. Finest shooting thing to ever come out of New Zealand:

http://www.barnard.co.nz/actions.htm

And then there's the Musgrave, great stuff from South Africa that's kicked the pants off all the others at World Palma Championships a time or more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musgrave_rifle

Checked a couple out in South Africa when shooting there years ago; good as any custom single shot action made in the USA.
Old November 29, 2012, 05:36 PM   #10
davery25

when you're saying savage target action - is this the one found on the savage 12 or something out of their custom shop?
Old November 29, 2012, 07:00 PM   #11
hounddawg

Savage Target actions

you can find them for around 550 last time I looked. They were about half the price of a BAT or other custom action. For someone at my level the extra money would be a waste better spent on powder and trigger time. Way I see it if I am still doing this in 3-5 years I will splurge on a custom rifle. I have seen a lot of guys spend 5K on a rifle then give up in disgust when they did not place first their first season. Just my opinion of course

Last edited by hounddawg; November 29, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old November 30, 2012, 03:59 AM   #12
scsov509

Another vote for a Savage action. I built a gun on a Savage action this last year and couldn't be happier. Aftermarket parts are widely available and it's easy for the DIY type build.
Old November 30, 2012, 01:41 PM   #13
Catfish

1 more vote for Savage. If you are planning on a hot rod barrel burnner you can change out the barrels on the Savage very easily yourself. All you realy have to know is how to head space them.