The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 31, 2005, 11:08 PM   #1
TwinGT

Browning Sweet 16 for clay shooting?

I've been clay shooting a couple of times. I've rented O/U. My grandfather has an old Belgium Browning 16 ga. auto. Can I use this for clay shooting? What loads are available? Thanks.
Old January 1, 2006, 09:23 AM   #2
bergie

16 gauge load selection is somewhat limited, both in choice and availability. A box of shells in 16 g. also costs a couple of dollars more than a box of 12 g. One of the bigger gunshops in my area will order 12 and 20 gauge hunting and target loads by the pallet, but would make it though a year with only a couple of cases of 16. If you wanted 16 you bought what they had (if they had it) no choice except to smile and say thank you as you straightened up and pulled up your pants. The good thing is that it is getting better since Rem. started making shotguns chambered in it again, and others are importing guns also. Mail order (or online) is also an option and will bring the price per box down to a more reasonable level, but shipping may well negate any savings.

bergie
Old January 1, 2006, 10:46 AM   #3
K80Geoff

The biggest complaint from 16 GA shooters is the lack and unavailability of decent target ammo. Most of the loads available are cheap field loads.

Some of the specialty ammo manufacturers are starting to produce 16 ga loads as the 16 is seeing a resurgence of popularity. Do an internet check for RST ammo, they have some new 16 ga loads targeted at the Sporting Clays crowd.

If you decide to stick with 16, learn to reload.