The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 15, 2021, 10:09 AM   #76
FairWarning
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 9, 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
I don't know about that, I hope that you are wrong because I love the 45 ACP.

I do agree that the 45 will play second fiddle to 9mm (it already does), and it may wane a bit in appeal compared to the rising popularity of the 10mm, but there is no chance that it will disappear as a popular pistol carry cartridge. It has some unique characteristics that make it desirable, and the price is already down to $0.42 per round and keeps dropping. 10mm is at least 50% more expensive.

In my opinion this would be like thinking that the 30-06 does not have a future as a hunting round because of the popularity of .308 and 6.5 Creedmore. There is room in the shooting market for all.

Speaking of those who "go for more power in a handgun", for the life of me I do NOT UNDERSTAND why those in the 45 ACP community have not embraced the 45 Super and .450 SMC loads. In my opinion these bring the .45 caliber to its full potential, and most 45 ACP shooters don't know about them!!
It has been said that the .45 ACP/1911 Cult (I am a member) was on its last legs for DECADES. But it's more popular than ever today and will outlive even a very young person today unless we go to all phased plasma rifles in the 40 watt range.

Likewise for the good ol' .30-06. Despite all naysayers, it's been around over a century, and 8mm Mauser even longer than that. I love 8mm and although it's a cult caliber in the US, it's still plenty popular in Europe for such an old design. Nostalgia plays a part, but whatever, nostalgia drives many purchases.
__________________
Mauser Werke, Schmidt-Rubin, Colt, Walther, HK, Weatherby, Sig Sauer, Browning, Ruger, Beretta, etc, etc....a few friends of mine
FairWarning is offline  
Old August 15, 2021, 04:43 PM   #77
TruthTellers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 22, 2016
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
Agree with the 10mm dominating for "field use" (camping, hiking, backpacking, hunting sidearm, etc.).

For concealed EDC where it's a 9mm, the compact micro models seem to be the dominant trend right now. That could change, however, if there's ever a federal 10-rd limit (re-)imposed on pistol magazine capacity.

Under the last "Hi-Cap mag" ban (1990s), the trend was clearly toward concealable smaller guns with mags holding 10-rds of Big Bullets: 45acp & 10mm, or .40, but not 9mm.
If a 10 rd limit comes back I don't think people are going to suddenly up and decide to buy a .45 over a 9mm. The ammo being almost twice the price being a major reason.
__________________
"We always think there's gonna be more time... then it runs out."
TruthTellers is offline  
Old August 15, 2021, 05:59 PM   #78
JustJake
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 12, 2020
Posts: 241
Quote:
If a 10 rd limit comes back I don't think people are going to suddenly up and decide to buy a .45 over a 9mm. The ammo being almost twice the price being a major reason.
Wrong.

Back in the '90s, the difference (in relative pricing) was also "twice the price" of a box of 9-minimeter, yet that didn't deter CCW folks from choosing a G30 or a G29, or an Colt 45 Officers, over a similarly sized 10-rd 9mm pistol.

Focus, dude. The past is prologue, and it ain't rocket science.
__________________
I use the Jake Brake every chance I get.
Don't care if it annoys you.
Hear me now?!
JustJake is offline  
Old August 15, 2021, 06:28 PM   #79
Carl the Floor Walker
member
 
Join Date: June 3, 2017
Location: South
Posts: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
Wrong.

Back in the '90s, the difference (in relative pricing) was also "twice the price" of a box of 9-minimeter, yet that didn't deter CCW folks from choosing a G30 or a G29, or an Colt 45 Officers, over a similarly sized 10-rd 9mm pistol.

Focus, dude. The past is prologue, and it ain't rocket science.
This ain't the 90's, Dude.
Carl the Floor Walker is offline  
Old August 16, 2021, 07:12 AM   #80
JustJake
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 12, 2020
Posts: 241
Quote:
This ain't the 90's, Dude.
Just discovered that did ya, Bucky?
__________________
I use the Jake Brake every chance I get.
Don't care if it annoys you.
Hear me now?!
JustJake is offline  
Old August 17, 2021, 01:03 AM   #81
TruthTellers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 22, 2016
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
Wrong.

Back in the '90s, the difference (in relative pricing) was also "twice the price" of a box of 9-minimeter, yet that didn't deter CCW folks from choosing a G30 or a G29, or an Colt 45 Officers, over a similarly sized 10-rd 9mm pistol.

Focus, dude. The past is prologue, and it ain't rocket science.
IDK what was out there in print media or the few gun related shows back in the 90s for ballistics testing, but my guess is after Miami 86 a lot of people became suspicious of 9mm's ability to work and went with bigger calibers because... well, bigger must mean it's better.

Things change, we have a lot more scientific evidence to determine what's satisfactory and 9mm has checked all the boxes. Even before all these P365 type pistols came out what were the hottest selling pistols for conceal carry? Single stack polymer 9mm's with capacities well under 10 rounds.

Also, if states that already have 10 rd mag capacity laws then why is it we're not seeing or hearing about an usually high amount of people with CCW's are carrying .45's? The answer is they're not, they're carrying 9s.
__________________
"We always think there's gonna be more time... then it runs out."
TruthTellers is offline  
Old August 17, 2021, 07:40 AM   #82
JustJake
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 12, 2020
Posts: 241
Quote:
Also, if states that already have 10 rd mag capacity laws then why is it we're not seeing or hearing about an usually high amount of people with CCW's are carrying .45's? The answer is they're not, they're carrying 9s.
Huh? ... How did you discern that all these CCW folks are not carrying 45s, 10mms or 40s, or .357Sigs?

Source for your claim "they're carrying 9s"?
__________________
I use the Jake Brake every chance I get.
Don't care if it annoys you.
Hear me now?!
JustJake is offline  
Old August 17, 2021, 11:38 AM   #83
Pumpkin
Member
 
Join Date: October 18, 2020
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
IDK what was out there in print media or the few gun related shows back in the 90s for ballistics testing, but my guess is after Miami 86 a lot of people became suspicious of 9mm's ability to work and went with bigger calibers because... well, bigger must mean it's better.

Things change, we have a lot more scientific evidence to determine what's satisfactory and 9mm has checked all the boxes. Even before all these P365 type pistols came out what were the hottest selling pistols for conceal carry? Single stack polymer 9mm's with capacities well under 10 rounds.

Also, if states that already have 10 rd mag capacity laws then why is it we're not seeing or hearing about an usually high amount of people with CCW's are carrying .45's? The answer is they're not, they're carrying 9s.
They are carrying 40s!
Pumpkin is offline  
Old August 18, 2021, 01:31 AM   #84
TruthTellers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 22, 2016
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
Huh? ... How did you discern that all these CCW folks are not carrying 45s, 10mms or 40s, or .357Sigs?

Source for your claim "they're carrying 9s"?
Actually, I decided to ask them on the Northeast Shooter's forum as most of the people there are in Massachusetts and they've been living with magazine capacity restrictions since the beginning and the resounding reply was...

everything. There is no caliber that they are carrying that held a sizeable plurality.
__________________
"We always think there's gonna be more time... then it runs out."
TruthTellers is offline  
Old August 18, 2021, 09:14 AM   #85
wild cat mccane
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 22, 2011
Posts: 2,592
This is an odd conversation that doesn't have much to do with the topic.

But we know the answer of what is being most carried and most shot.

American made 38/357 has basically not been made AT ALL until a few months ago by Vista Outdoors (Federal/CCI/Speer/Remington/Estate) with only Federal American Eagle being made. CCI doesn't appear to be putting out Gold Dot 38/357 in any number.

With a lag of over a year...do you think Vista is doing this because they don't want to sell 38/357 at $41 dollars currently listed on their website, or is 9mm the faster mover?

Same has pretty much been true of 40/45, though not as bad.
__________________
My wife is a pulmonologist (respiratory Dr) and epidemiologist. If you have any questions on COVID, please reach out to me in PM.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; August 18, 2021 at 09:19 AM.
wild cat mccane is offline  
Old August 19, 2021, 08:57 AM   #86
Seedy Character
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 5, 2021
Location: SW Okla
Posts: 164
The bean counters are in charge
Many stupid policy will be forth coming.
Seedy Character is offline  
Old August 19, 2021, 07:46 PM   #87
Pistoler0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 15, 2019
Location: Conifer, CO
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedy Character View Post
The bean counters are in charge
Many stupid policy will be forth coming.
Yes, America has become a country of managers. Everybody aspires to be a manager, that is where the big bucks are.
Eeeeverybody wants to be boss without knowing much else to do but to attend meetings, put together powerpoints, use self important "professional" language, and tell other people to "do your job".

What is the most popular major in college in the US? Business Management and Administration.
What is the most popular major in Chinese universities? Engineering

I read a criticism of NASA years ago saying that it had gone from being an engineering focused organization to a management focused one.
It figures

Same could be said of Boeing, and countless others.

But..... I digress, off topic. I just had to agree with Seedy Character's post (I like that name)
__________________
Life is simply an inter-temporal problem of constrained optimization.

Last edited by Pistoler0; August 19, 2021 at 07:53 PM.
Pistoler0 is offline  
Old August 19, 2021, 09:40 PM   #88
Metric
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 4, 2016
Posts: 246
The classic Beretta 81 series is on its last legs. No longer listed on the US webpage, still on the Italian one. Imported in small numbers, and the MSRP is in the stratosphere. I admire the fact that it's been able to hang on as long as it has, in the era of injection molded plastic pistols.
Metric is offline  
Old August 21, 2021, 02:18 PM   #89
kymasabe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 10, 2005
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,594
I think S&W SD9VE's days are numbered. I have SD9 with Apex trigger components and is great gun, but I dont see S&W selling a ton of them.
__________________
God's creatures big and small, eat them one, eat them all.
kymasabe is offline  
Old August 22, 2021, 02:05 AM   #90
Carl the Floor Walker
member
 
Join Date: June 3, 2017
Location: South
Posts: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Actually, I decided to ask them on the Northeast Shooter's forum as most of the people there are in Massachusetts and they've been living with magazine capacity restrictions since the beginning and the resounding reply was...

everything. There is no caliber that they are carrying that held a sizeable plurality.
Lol, which guns will be discontinued? I think those poor folks in Mass. got it right. The bean counters might not even have a job at the end of the next three years.
Carl the Floor Walker is offline  
Old August 22, 2021, 07:15 AM   #91
tarhealcracker
Member
 
Join Date: July 8, 2018
Posts: 46
One wonders how long a Thread is allowed to continue on this forum. Even counting the odd highjack posts, this Thread ran out of new/useful information about 3 pages back.

Of course if you are looking for new highs in "snark" this Thread has it all. Oops, there I go snarking again my own self.
tarhealcracker is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2020 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Page generated in 0.12118 seconds with 10 queries