The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2019, 09:38 AM   #1
unclejack37

Hammer Vs Striker

I've had a Beretta Nano 9mm as my EDC for about 6 years now. The nice thing is the Nano is very easy to conceal and very easy to shoot for me. I have modified it to fit my hand better and to change the looks. The not so good things are it's striker fired and has a limited ammo supply. I'm leaning towards a hammer fired SA/DA high capacity magazine with a fixed safety.
I really love carrying and shooting my 1911 when I walking my property in a cocked and locked position. It just feels right. Does anyone have any experience with these guns. Beretta PX4 storm (compact), CZ P-07 (compact), SIG Sp2022. All 3 are reasonably priced, SA/DA, 15+1 magazine, Safety or de-cocker switch. Any feedback on these 3 handguns will be appreciated and helpful for me to decide on which one to purchase.
Old February 4, 2019, 10:08 AM   #2
gnystrom

Striker vs. hammer fired is a good way to start a bar fight.
Old February 4, 2019, 10:33 AM   #3
unclejack37

Hmmm, good point. That was not my intention. I was looking for feedback on the 3 handguns I'm looking at.
Old February 4, 2019, 11:14 AM   #4
Fishbed77

I own a CZ P-07. It's an excellent pistol - extremely accurate for me, reliable, and soft-shooting. Bore axis is quite low for a hammer-fired pistol (especially compared to the SP2022), though I don't really consider that to be the most important factor in choosing a pistol. Mags were expensive, but have now become affordable, since P10C mags are compatible and cost much less. The ergonomics are very good, although the slide release is a bit a of a reach (even with my long fingers). Fit and finish are very good, and it's built like a tank (perhaps a reaction to the cosmetic frame bulging issue with the older Gen 1/DUTY version).

My only caveat is that while it is compact (in the sense that it's smaller than the full-size P-09), I wouldn't call it a small pistol, and it is not as lightweight as some other similarly-sized polymer-framed pistols (which also contributes to its soft felt recoil). Overall dimensions are similar to the Glock 19, but it has a rather chunky slide. Of course, the PX4 and SP2022 are no smaller.

Last edited by Fishbed77; February 4, 2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old February 4, 2019, 11:32 AM   #5
TailGator

I have a PX4 Compact in 9 mm in my safe. Very soft shooting pistol, quite accurate, grip is very comfortable for me (though your hand may be different, of course). It has been reliable if kept lubed. The rotating barrel locked up once when I went to long without firing it and didn't lube it before taking it to the range. Is that a fault of the gun or the operator? Maybe a bit of each? For carry, a lot of people down-size the safety lever. The lower profile safety is available, and can also convert it to decocker only if desired.
Old February 4, 2019, 12:53 PM   #6
Cyanide971

Have a P-07 (converted to DAO), and a second PX4 Compact currently on layaway after having to sell my first one. If you told me I had to pick only one of them, and in stock, base model configuration well, it would depend on my mood for the day! Personally love both of them as I’m a huge fan of Beretta and CZ, here’s my quick personal take, concerning stock models:

The P-07 has better grip texturing and ease of decocker use since right above the thumb of either shooting hand (which can be converted to a safety), but it is a bit chunkier in the slide width, whereas a narrower grip. It can also use regular CZ 75 mags, albeit with a slight wobble.

The PX4 has a better stock trigger and easier disassembly, but has a combo safety/decocker with large, sharp-edged levers that many aren’t a fan of. It also can only use PX4 mags, with no interchangeability that I’m aware of with Beretta 92/96 or Cougar models (not an issue for me).

Now granted, the PX4 is easily converted to decock-only and has slim levers available, unless you purchase the upgraded Compact Carry model, which already has those installed, an orange outline front night sight, along with Talon Grip wraps installed, and removal of the right side slide release lever.

Both shoot exceptionally well for me and soak up recoil very nicely, and I love the placement of the controls concerning the magazine release and slide release levers. Even though I’ve had the P-07 converted to DAO, it’s decocker was extremely easy to use, and the Beretta lever is intuitive for me as well, having carried and used them for so long.
Old February 5, 2019, 09:57 PM   #7
jmhyer

SP2022...
Love mine, though it doesn't get carried much. It's quite a handful, though the interchangeable grips help in the customization. It's accurate and reliable. The bore axis is, indeed, fairly high but it's still quite soft-shooting. Factory mags are pricey, but, if you are patient, you can occasionally find them on sale. There's no safety option...just the heavier (though smooth) DA pull. Also, the after-market options and accessories are a bit limited, but that may also be true for the others you mentioned.
Old February 5, 2019, 10:19 PM   #8
pete2

Why not the 1911?
Old February 6, 2019, 11:28 AM   #9
hammie

"pete2" has a good point. If you're familiar with the operation of a single action 1911, and like it, why not? Colt makes some compact 1911's in 45 ACP and 9x19. Springfield Armory makes a modified 1911 in .40 S&W and 9x19mm, with a 3 inch barrel. I've been looking closely at the springfield EMP with a 4 inch barrel as a future nightstand gun.

Another thing: I will not buy another new pistol with a high capacity magazine. I DO NOT want to start a political discussion, but we are probably only one democratic president away from a national ban on high capacity magazines. Again, not to devolve into rep vs dem, but it is easy to see which way the winds are blowing and political realities are political realities. With a high capacity pistol, you will wind up looking for modified magazines, and with a pistol that is bulkier than needed for its capacity.

Also, would you consider a revolver? Kimber makes a nice, 6 shot compact .357 revolver. Ruger, Colt, and S&W offer the similar platforms. I'm not trying to move the discussion away from your boundaries. Just offering something to think about.
Old February 6, 2019, 12:46 PM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
Another thing: I will not buy another new pistol with a high capacity magazine.
Standard capacity for the P-07, PX4, and SP2022 is 15 rounds.
Old February 6, 2019, 01:46 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

"...start a bar fight..." As fast as, if not faster than, Ford vs Chevy. It makes no difference whatsoever. It's a 100% personal choice, "how does it feel?" thing.
Old February 6, 2019, 02:13 PM   #12
Hawg

Hammer, single stack, SAO.
Old February 6, 2019, 04:29 PM   #13
stephen426

Striker fired guns have proven very reliable. Giving up second strike capabilities is mostly meaningless unless your gun is prone to light strikes. If that is the case, get it fixed or remove the mods that made it have light strikes.

The one advantage most hammer fired guns have is a lighter and shorter trigger pull. It is hard to beat the clean crisp pull of a finely tuned 1911.

The only striker fired gun I know of that has a phenomenal trigger is the H&K P7M8. It can rival the trigger on great 1911s and is better than most guns. Then again, it is a true single action where the trigger only releases a fully cocked striker. I know someone who actually carries it and she is a great shot with it. Prices have gone through the roof since they were discontinued, they are heavy, and only hold 8 rounds (unless you get the M13).

The PPQ has a decent trigger out of the box and Glock triggers can be improved with the vast number of aftermarket parts available.

I see a hammer as something that can snag for concealed carry. I only carry striker fired guns at this point, but carry what you like.
Old February 9, 2019, 11:00 AM   #14
Carl the Floor Walker

You mention that the Nano is striker fired, however as you know it is a DA trigger. And a mighty fine one to Boot. Very smooth and deliberate. Around 6lbs of pull. Less after break in.
The Pico is hammer fired. I do wish my Nano also had re-strike capable feature. As you also said "Easy to Shoot". That is so very true. Extremely Mild shooter. Many describe it as feeling like they are shooting 380 ammo.
Personally really do not care for more ammo capacity. I will take the trade-offs the Nano gives. For EDC it became my favorite after a exhaustive 6 month search of trying just about every gun out there. Or at least 10 of the most popular.
Old February 9, 2019, 11:47 AM   #15
tallball

I own or have owned a full-sized PX4, CZ P-0something, and Sig P226.

They all go bang every time. I happen to like the Sig the best of the three. It's probably a question of how well they each happen to fit a particular shooter's hand, and how good the trigger is on that particular pistol.

IMHO, the OP would be fine with any of the three.
Old February 9, 2019, 11:51 AM   #16
Siggy-06

+1 for the CZ P-07. You can change the safety to a decocker, and swap the palm swells for grip size. Frames come in different colors if you dont want the normal black.
Old February 9, 2019, 12:48 PM   #17
JDBerg

IMHO, for a casual shooter, a DA/SA with a thumb safety might be a better way to go than a striker. But for a skilled shooter there is really no difference, only preference. I think that a skilled shooter can shoot well with just about anything you hand them if they train & practice with it regularly, and if it has decent sights, is reliable, and the trigger is usable. The rest is simply preference based on the intended purpose for the gun itself.

Last edited by JDBerg; February 9, 2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old February 10, 2019, 10:44 AM   #18
unclejack37

I like the 1911 frame and prefer the 1911 frame but I want a compact or sub compact with a higher round capacity in 9mm and something a little less expensive that a Colt. It does not need to be new but it must be hammer fired, SA/DA, 15 + rounds.I like my Nano a lot and nothing but good things to say about it except it is striker fired, and only has 8 rounds max. Thanks for the advise so far and I will check out the Taurus TH9C
Old February 10, 2019, 11:18 AM   #19
PatientWolf

Based on your posts, I would shy away from the Beretta. For me the safety release is backwards.

I keep looking at them, because I've only heard old reorganize on them, but every time I handle one, I remember the safety works opposite all my other safeties, which to me is the last thing I want in a carry gun.

Of course YMMV, and my advice is probably not worth what you paid for it.

Good luck with your search!
Old February 12, 2019, 08:51 AM   #20
GoPappy

The PX4 can be converted to de-cocker only with a kit Beretta sells.
Old February 13, 2019, 06:07 AM   #21
PatientWolf

Quote:
Interesting. Down to de-cock? This may make it worth reconsideration for me, depending on the cost of the kit.
Old February 13, 2019, 06:40 AM   #22
bjw741

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Doesn't look like you even need a kit from Beretta. Here's a how to vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWc6i506oEQ

Yes, down to de-cock.

Last edited by bjw741; February 13, 2019 at 08:04 AM.