The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 19, 2019, 07:27 PM   #1
MTT TL

Visting Colorado

I will be visiting Colorado next month and wanted to make sure I don't run afoul of their magazine capacity restriction laws. I can't find anything that prohibits possession for out of state visitors of magazine greater than 15 rounds.

Does such a law exist?
Old September 19, 2019, 11:24 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The law in question would be C.R.S. 18-12-302 (1) (a):

Quote:
Except as otherwise provided in this section, on and after July 1, 2013, a person who sells, transfers, or possesses a large-capacity magazine commits a class 2 misdemeanor.
The "as otherwise provided" is
Quote:
The offense described in subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to:
(a) An entity, or any employee thereof engaged in his or her employment duties, that manufactures large-capacity magazines within Colorado exclusively for transfer to, or any licensed gun dealer, as defined in section 18-12-506 (6), or any employee thereof engaged in his or her official employment duties, that sells large-capacity magazines exclusively to:
(I) A branch of the armed forces of the United States;
(II) A department, agency, or political subdivision of the state of Colorado, or of any other state, or of the United States government;
(III) A firearms retailer for the purpose of firearms sales conducted outside the state;
(IV) A foreign national government that has been approved for such transfers by the United States government; or
(V) An out-of-state transferee who may legally possess a large-capacity magazine
(b) An employee of any of the following agencies who bears a firearm in the course of his or her official duties:
(I) A branch of the armed forces of the United States; or
(II) A department, agency, or political subdivision of the state of Colorado, or of any other state, or of the United States government; or
(c) A person who possesses the magazine for the sole purpose of transporting the magazine to an out-of-state entity on behalf of a manufacturer of large-capacity magazines within Colorado.
I can't find a definition of "out of state transferee"... if I had to guess, it means you came here to buy it from someone in state and are leaving with it?

If it were me, I'd rather buy a 15 round magazine than a lawyer to cover my "test case" to see if I'm right.

Give me a holler if you're in the area... we'll grab lunch or something.
Old September 19, 2019, 11:56 PM   #3
DockRock

While there has effectively been no enforcement of the law and many sheriffs have gone on the record opposing it, you don't want to be the guy who gets nailed.
Old September 20, 2019, 06:54 AM   #4
MTT TL

I think for the two extra rounds that they will provide maybe the risk is not worth the reward.
Old September 20, 2019, 10:45 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT TL
I think for the two extra rounds that they will provide maybe the risk is not worth the reward.
I would certainly concur in that assessment.
Jeepaholic