The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 25, 2020, 01:27 PM   #1
Bailey71

H&R Buffalo Classic 45/70

Long story short. My wife’s aunt went through a divorce some 4 or 5 yrs ago. Unbeknownst to me she kept most of the rifles they owned in a locked closet at my mother in laws house. One day my wife’s aunt heard me talking about wanting a 45/70. She said “I have a 45/70”. I said whaaaaat?!!? She said yeah and told me where the rifles were. She said go look at em and you can hunt with em if you want. I opened the closet and my eyes went starlight to the 45-70. I pulled it out and the dang thang was as long as a well rope. I think it’s a 32” or 34” barrel. It’s a Harrington & Richardson model 1871 Buffalo Classic single shot with a scope. So she doesn’t shoot and it has just been sitting there for four or five years. I asked her to sale it to me and she just says “Ohhh I don’t know...”. That’s just nuts if you ask me. I don’t know a lot about the Buffalo Classic. All I know is it’s dinged up a little bit with no rust and I want it.
Old May 25, 2020, 01:43 PM   #2
Pahoo

Shoot it and have fun !!!

Quote:
All I know is it’s dinged up a little bit with no rust and I want it.
I guess there is a question in there somewhere. The most important part, is that they are very serviceable and fun to shoot, with target loads. I had tang sights on mine. Furniture on main was Birch and mechanically very stout. Other than that, don't know what else to add. …..

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=21&ajaxhist=0

https://www.cabelas.com/product/H-R-...fle/705467.uts

Shoot it and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; May 25, 2020 at 07:10 PM.
Old May 25, 2020, 02:43 PM   #3
Bailey71

I almost bought a Henry 45-70 instead I opted for the 30-30. I have shot a Henry 45-70 a few times. Nice gun. Now that I have the 30-30 I find myself still wanting a 45-70 and if I can get this one I’m sure I can get it cheap. I was just wanting to see if anyone had any personal experience with the BC. Are they good guns or crap? Are they are they reliable and accurate?