The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 25, 2016, 02:41 AM   #1
Zorro

Copper Bullets.

I am in California so Lead Bullets are the normal option elsewhere.

Thing is....Copper bullets really work.

Anyone see a downside?
Old October 25, 2016, 04:14 AM   #2
Snyper

The biggest "downside" is the added expense and the limited number of choices compared to lead bullets.

They do perform well on game if you can find one that's accurate in your guns.
They don't outperform standard projectiles well enough to justify using them if you have a choice
Old October 25, 2016, 06:41 AM   #3
jmr40

Used properly copper works very well and lots of folks use them even where not required. Their disadvantage is that they are less effective at very long range compared to standard lead bullets because they don't expand well at slower impact speeds. As a rule when impact speed is less than about 2000 fps expansion becomes questionable.

The key with copper is to drop down at least one and probably 2 bullet weights lighter than you'd normally use with lead bullets. They give excellent penetration at any weight because they stay together better. But they need extreme speed at impact to expand well.

Most common lead bullets will retain 50-80% of their weight after impact, copper will very often still weigh 100% and usually no less than 97-98%. I can fire a 180 gr lead bullet from a 300 WM @ 3100 fps. After impact it will weigh 90-140 gr. I can fire a 130 gr copper bullet from my 308 @ 3100 fps. After impact it will still weigh 130 gr and penetrate exactly the same at reasonable ranges. But at longer ranges the heavier lead bullet fired from the 300 will work much better.

If I were to shoot heavier 165-180 gr copper at 308 speeds impact speed on game is so slow beyond about 100 yards that often you get no expansion and poor bullet performance. I wouldn't shoot anything copper heavier than 150 gr in a 308 and 130's or even 110's work very well. A 150 gr copper bullet from a 30-06 is an elk bullet. The heavier 165-180 gr bullets in copper are best used in magnums.

For someone with a rifle in a caliber normally considered too small for the game hunted copper bullets improve performance, at least at close to moderate ranges.

I "borrowed" this graphic from Nosler showing how bullets look at different impact speeds. Top graphic is their Accubond. It still looks good at 1800 fps. I'd not be comfortable shooting game at the same impact speeds with the copper. But it looks good at faster impact speeds.

Another good graphic. The bullet on the left is a 30 caliber 130 gr Barnes TTX. The bullet on the right is a 30 caliber 180 gr Remington Corelokt. This is a good example of why it doesn't hurt to drop down in bullet weight with copper.

Old October 25, 2016, 07:20 AM   #4
eastbank

i used copper bullets in africa in a 9.3x62 on a cape buffalo and a .30cal in a 300 win mag on a large blue wildabeast, they worked well with both animals dead. eastbank.
Old October 25, 2016, 08:30 AM   #5
AllenJ

I've been using Barnes and some Nosler E-Tips for a while now, both on deer and elk. With only one exception they have proved to be very reliable and most of the time show devastating internal ballistics on game. The exception was this year when an 80 grain TTSX keyholed on entry from my 243. The result was a dead deer but I am still wondering what caused that since I have shot one other deer with the 243 and TTSX and it showed those devastating results I mentioned above.

If your looking for a downside to them it would be the cost. I live and hunt in California same as you and unless you're hunting the bigger mule deer on the east side of the state these little deer do not require premium bullets.
Old October 25, 2016, 09:29 AM   #6
old roper

I'm not required to use copper but have taken deer/elk with Barnes and Nosler E-Tip.

I get on LR hunting site, some good result with these

https://hammerbullets.com/shop/page/3/

Barnes is making some also

http://barnesbullets.com/bullets/lrx/

http://www.peregrinebullets.com/

I got some nephews that live Ca mostly north of Stockton and they been making change over and most are using Barnes bullets.

I've never had problem using them but seating little different. Barnes is .030/.070, off the lands and E-Tip around .100" off the lands. You can get on their sites check that for yourself.
NRA Life Member