The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 24, 2020, 09:19 AM   #1
Ernie Bishop

Borden/Alpine clone XP-100 6.5-284 Mule Deer

Dan Ekstrom and I have been looking for a shooter mule deer buck on public land.

For this area, Tuesday was the last day.

Borden Alpine clone XP-100 action, chambered in 6.5-284 with the 140 grain Nosler AB at 588 yards. Bullet worked great. He was slightly quartering toward us.

Right after the shot he moved to the left about 30-40 yards, and looked like he was going down...doing the wobble/stumble thing.

Given the fact that it was close to the end of legal shooting, and with Dan’s encouragement, I sent a 2nd one.

We discovered it wasn’t needed upon quartering him (the drops were spot on), but we wanted to be sure.

He will be nice and tasty.

Thanks to Dan for helping me pack him out-Quartered him in the field. It was late thirty when I go home.

Michael DeLoach of Nine Run Gun built this Borden Alpine clone XP and it hammers! Brux barrel, Holland brake, Dell trigger, McMillan stock, Burris XTR-III 3.3-18x50 with the SCR MOA reticle. It shoots so good it is just wrong!

Old October 24, 2020, 09:35 AM   #2
FITASC

Nice buck; I have to imagine that is a handful to shoot though! My XP in 7mmBR could get stout enough
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 24, 2020, 09:42 AM   #3
Ernie Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Nice buck; I have to imagine that is a handful to shoot though! My XP in 7mmBR could get stout enough
Do you still have your 7BR?

A great muzzle brake like the Holland Radial Baffle turns recoil into child's play.
In the video the cartridge is the 7mm Dakota...Think 83 grains of powder and a 175 grain bullet at 2900 fps.
https://youtu.be/StlxcMAcGSQ
Old October 24, 2020, 12:49 PM   #4
FITASC

Sold it after I moved to Florida from out West; there is/was a gunsmith in Carson City named Lee Baker who had a patent on a muzzle brake - he put them on IHMSA XPs for the silhouette crowd.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 29, 2020, 08:19 AM   #5
taylorce1

You specialty pistol guys always impress me when you start talking several hundreds if yards!
Old October 29, 2020, 08:24 AM   #6
Ernie Bishop

Thank you Sir!
It all comes down to the fundamentals.
There are a few tricks of the trade with your grip and the rear bag, but everything else is fairly straightforward when it comes to hitting at distance.
Old October 29, 2020, 08:38 AM   #7
FITASC

Bipods are, IMO, the key
Old October 29, 2020, 08:52 AM   #8
Ernie Bishop

I would add a good log, backpack or tripod set-up as well.
I have made shots on game past 500 yards with the three items above.