The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2022, 11:12 PM   #1
musicmatty

Review of my new Henry 410 side gate

I know there’s many reviews already on the Internet ..but here’s my experience and with the ammo that I used. This is my second Henry firearm I purchased in the last two years. My other Henry is the brass 30-30 side gate.

Fit, finish and functionality is as close to Flawless as could be. I put 80 rounds through it today and 20 of them were 000 Buck..(see the attached photo for the ammo that was used). I shot the 000 Buck at 10, 15 and 20yds To pattern them on a paper target. All these shots were taken at a standing position. 3 inch group at 10 yards…6 inches at 15 and 8 inches at 20… All within the Killzone of the bull’s-eye. Very impressive ammo in my opinion. I should note that this Henry model is a 20 inch smoothbore barrel with rifle sights. The shell capacity for this 410 is actually 6 + 1. I also shot some sporting clays from the ground machine and it did very well there with the ammo that was used.

In good conscience I can say that I would recommend this firearm to anyone who is in the market for a high capacity 410 (2.5 inch shells only). I have decided that this will be my go to gun more often than not when I head out into the woods to have some fun without having to spend a small fortune on ammo. The fact that it’s a 7 shell capacity and I can shoot rifled slugs and potent buckshot, Gives me all the confidence I need should I run up against something that puts me in harms way.

For those who are not aware how penetrating this 000 Buck is, I have attached a video of someone showing how potent this ammo is… I have to admit I was surprised.

https://youtu.be/S_92s__G02w

Last edited by musicmatty; January 7, 2022 at 05:01 AM.
Old January 6, 2022, 03:16 PM   #2
Siggy-06

I was looking at the Henry 410 X model this year myself, but got a good deal on a brass Big Boy in 357 mag. I have a Henry single shot 12 guage too, and like you said, top notch quality. I think yours will make a great woods gun for sure! Happy new year.
Old January 6, 2022, 07:27 PM   #3
std7mag

How is loading, feeding, ejecting?
How was recoil?
Weight/balance?
2.5" shells only?

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 6, 2022, 07:52 PM   #4
musicmatty

Quote:
Happy new year.
Happy new year everyone!

Quote:
How is loading, feeding, ejecting?
How was recoil?
Weight/balance?
2.5" shells only?
Loading, feeding and ejecting was flawless. The action is very smooth above all others and I say that respectfully… Also, it’s a very fast handling firearm to swing into action. The side gate is perfect for topping off but honestly it’s quicker just to load all Rounds through the loading (Magazine tube.).

The balance feels really good as it’s easy to hold on target. The recoil was very light as the gun weighs in just over 7 pounds which helps out. The 410 slug is a very respectable rifle type cartridge within 100 yards. Combine that with 000 Buck for close quarters renders you a very attractive utility firearm to hike with. It certainly doesn’t have the knockdown power of a 45-70 but it’s more versatile of a firearm in my opinion. If you load it with 000 Buck and slugs, you won’t be helpless out in the open.

Last edited by musicmatty; January 6, 2022 at 07:57 PM.
Old January 6, 2022, 08:56 PM   #5
2wheelwander

This summer I decided I needed a .410 lever. By chance I found one at LGS. Like new Winchester 9410 on consignment. I bought it on the spot. Got it home, looked like it had never been shot. Loaded it up and it flat refused to feed from the tube mag into the chamber. If I handloaded the chamber it would fire and eject just fine, but would not feed.

15 minutes after purchasing I ran back to the store hoping against hope something could be done for a gun I bought as is. As I walked in, the previous owner was coming in to get his check. I'd brought a few shells with me and going out back showed him the issue. He confirmed he bought it NIB from an estate and never shot it. Was very gracious, gave me my money back, we shook hands and went out seperate ways.

A week later I ordered a Henry like yours but with the brass reciever. Without a doubt, there being no contest the Henry is a much smoother and better handling gun that the Winchester. The action is 10x smoother. Better trigger, etc. Like you mentioned, fit and finish on the Henry is 1st class. The Winchester was acceptable. Not outstanding, not terrible. Just 'meh'.

Being out of production the Winchester is worth more $$. But there are a lot of guns out of production that don't hold a candle to the quality being put out for far less money. Henry is one of them. The smoothness of that action rivals my Marlin 39A.

The Henry makes the much sought after Winchester look and feel like a 2nd rate import knock off.

Same store has a new black synthetic Henry .410 with a picatiny rail up front. I don't need it, but I want it.
Old January 6, 2022, 09:56 PM   #6
musicmatty

Quote:
Being out of production the Winchester is worth more $$. But there are a lot of guns out of production that don't hold a candle to the quality being put out for far less money. Henry is one of them.
Interesting story you told with a great outcome. I’m a Winchester man myself with 2 model 94’s and 3 shotguns. 4 of these 5 are post 1983 production firearms when Winchester returned to high standard production. All these Winchesters have been work horses without any issues whatsoever.

Obviously the Winchester we all love is no longer produced in the good Ole USA and that’s a damn shame. I’m the type of person thats not tied to any ideologies or brand. Things change and I change with them when need be. I have long admired Henry rifles being made in America by American made parts. I finally became a Henry family member when they introduced the side gate. I have never owned a Marlin but they say that Henry mostly resembles the JM Marlin more than the Winchester… I think you can easily notice this with an A.B. comparison. As I said I’ve never owned a Marlin so I can’t offer an honest evaluation. With that said, I cannot imagine Marlin nor any other firearm being more superior than the quality of a Henry.

I think it comes down to a simple mindset with this guy Anthony the owner of Henry..It seems his approach is simply this… Build the firearm the way it should be right out the gate and the chips will fall accordingly. I paid $800 hard-working dollars for this firearm new and I believe it’s worth every penny.

I really wish other American manufacturers took this approach and I’m sure their profits would roll in accordingly.

Old January 7, 2022, 02:17 PM   #7
eastbank

the winchester could have been fixed(maybe real easy) and sold for a good price and you could have bought a henry along with a large supply of ammo with the extra cash. the last win 410 i saw sold in very good condition was for 1200.00.
Old January 7, 2022, 02:57 PM   #8
Schlitz 45

I've shot the old tube style Henry & was able to break doubles with it shooting clays-very smooth. Finding 2.5" 410 ammo has been pretty rough for the last couple of years.
Old January 7, 2022, 03:15 PM   #9
musicmatty

Quote:
Finding 2.5" 410 ammo has been pretty rough for the last couple of years
When I bought this gun last week, the shop had no ammo for it. I had to drive an hour away to another location where they had cases of this Ammo in stock. I was able to pick up 500 rounds along with 80 rounds of 000 buck. I was able to go online and find 80 rounds of Hornady triple defense in Texas and have it delivered. I’m going to enjoy shooting clays for a while.
Old January 7, 2022, 03:20 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The 410 slug is a very respectable rifle type cartridge within 100 yards
I think we have different opinions about what is a "very respectable" round within 100yds.

I have a box of Remington ,410 2.5" slugs. They are a 1/5 oz slug (which works out to 87.5gr. Velocity isn't given, but drop is, and the box says it drops 8.2" at 100yds.

have a box of Winchester 3" slugs. Drop isn't given but velocity is, 1800fps. 1/4oz slug which works out to be 109.37gr so call it 110gr.

Additionally, fired from a shotgun (smoothbore) you are very unlikely to get the same degree of accuracy at 100yds you will get with a rifle.

A .357 magnum from an 18" carbine will throw a 125gr slug up to 2200fps, and with rifle accuracy. The .410 slugs are slightly fatter (.41 vs .35) but lighter and SLOWER. This, to me, does not constitute "very respectable" 100yd (or less) performance.

Your Henry looks very nice, I'm sure its a very nice, well made gun, but a 7lb .410 restricted to 2.5" shells isn't worthwhile to me.

I AM a big fan of the .410 as a pest gun. have an old bolt action, considerably lighter than 7lbs and I am very fond of the .410 in my T/C Contender.

The .410 is a good SHORT range gun, but I can't see carrying something the size and weight of a deer rifle shooting .410 shells and only 2.5" ones, at that. It doesn't have the mass of larger shotguns and doesn't have quite the power of magnum pistol rounds, or rifle accuracy.

Very fine for many things, but in the Henry lever you have, its not for me.
Enjoy your gun, and use it within its abilities and range limitations and I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Old January 7, 2022, 04:52 PM   #11
2wheelwander

@musicmatty the top rifle pictured is exactly the one I bought.

I certainly have no qualms with Winchester. I have a 9422 that I really enjoy shooting. But it holds no candle to my 39A. Though the 39A no doubt has many many rounds through it and contributes to its smoothness. The 9422 I gave my father years ago and doubt it has more than a few boxes of shells through it.

Always considered Winchester to be a sexier name than Marlin. I suppose its the mystique of the early elvers that has caused this. I'd love to have an early 30-30 Winchester. Mostly just to say I have one. I guess to me, the Winchester is a historical name with lots of Americana and (at the time) breakthrough innovation that impacted our countrys history. Kinda like the Colt SAA and 1911 or the Garand. The Marlins being a better gun and the one you really want to use in the field when its time to go to work. Just my opinion.

Sorry for the threadjack OP. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming!
Old January 7, 2022, 04:57 PM   #12
musicmatty

Quote:
Additionally, fired from a shotgun (smoothbore) you are very unlikely to get the same degree of accuracy at 100yds you will get with a rifle.
Fully agree. I’m not saying that I would hunt with it at 100 yards. However, because it’s a 7 round capacity, it does have enough penetration power for me to feel confident and safe when I’m out and about having fun. I could easily pick a Bear off in the woods at 50 yards thru the head if I had to… But I really wouldn’t want to do that.
Old January 7, 2022, 05:11 PM   #13
musicmatty

Quote:
The Marlins being a better gun and the one you really want to use in the field when its time to go to work. Just my opinion.
As I said in one of my previous post, one of my two model 94s is a post 1983 production from 1989 and it has been a workhorse without any problems. You would be surprised how many people don’t know anything about post 1983 Winchester model 94s. 33 years later my model 94 still looks pristine even though it’s sat out in the elements all those hunting seasons. My other model 94 is a commemorative 1969 model and it’s made with old production methods with a forged steel receiver and has been a workhorse as well. The post 64 commemorative models were not made the same as the regular production models at that time.

1969 commemorative

Old January 8, 2022, 12:04 AM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I could easily pick a Bear off in the woods at 50 yards thru the head if I had to…
Why would you have to? A bear at 50yds is no threat.

i think you should do some 50yd slug shooting with your gun and see what kind of shot group you can manage at that range. and if possible, color your target brown or black and make it move around....

Not saying it can't be done, just saying I don't think it can be done easily...
Old January 8, 2022, 06:20 PM   #15
musicmatty

I took my Henry 410 back out shooting today for the second time ..once again shooting home defense loads (000 Buchshot and Hornady critical defense ) and I took pictures. I shot at the distance of 10, 15 and 20 yards free hand standing up. Please see the attached photos for the results and the brand of ammo that were used.

Personally I would be satisfied with either option of ammo inside of 20 yards. 20 yards would definitely be the max for taking a shot for home defense for me personally. Considering you only have three projectiles in either cartridge, you still have the advantage of a seven round capacity and the new Henry side gate to keep topping off.

Hornady Critical defense at 10 yards..Three balls just below the bull’s-eye

Critical defense at 15 yards..Two balls just below the bull’s-eye

Critical defense at 20 yards..Just one ball at 12 o’clock outside the bull’s-eye

000 Buckshot at 10 yards

Buckshot at 15 yards

Buckshot at 20 yards

Last edited by musicmatty; January 8, 2022 at 06:31 PM.