The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 27, 2021, 06:45 AM   #1
gaseousclay

Glock 17 vs Glock 19

I'm sure some of you own both of these pistols, so I want to solicit your opinions on these guns. I'm considering one of these as my next purchase, however, i'm conflicted on which to get. Some pros and cons would be appreciated.

I do own the S&W M&P 2.0 compact but I don't have a CCW. In the event I ever get a CCW, the S&W should do nicely. With that said, the Glock 19 is virtually the same as the S&W as far as size goes. I watched some reviews on both last night and i'm leaning towards the Glock 17 for home defense use. The reason being that the 17 holds 17 rounds and has a larger grip. One of the reviews also suggested the Glock 17 handles recoil slightly better due to the longer barrel and heavier weight, but I don't know if this is true or not. I don't foresee muzzle flip being an issue. I don't know if i'll get a CCW but never say never.
Old July 27, 2021, 06:55 AM   #2
TunnelRat

If you find the longer grip helpful to you then by all means get the 17. I will point out you can use the 17 rd magazines in the Glock 19. All I own currently are Glock 19s. I’ve shot Glock 17s and frankly I shoot them a little bit better than a 19, but I carry the 19. Since you have that role covered, you can get whatever you want (though plenty of people do carry a Glock 17).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 27, 2021, 07:51 AM   #3
gaseousclay

Yeah, I figured if I was buying a pistol strictly for conceal carry then a Glock 19 would be a no-brainer. I like my S&W but I have to admit, the larger grip on the Glock 17 is the key feature for me. I have normal sized hands so gripping the S&W isn't an issue. I guess I just want something a little different, even if those differences are minor.
Old July 27, 2021, 08:33 AM   #4
jmr40

I've had both. The 17 doesn't do anything I can't do with a 19. The 1/2" longer barrel does not improve accuracy for me. And I have the option of using G17, G19, and even the 33 round G18 magazines in it.

With a grip sleeve on a G17 magazine you get the same grip and mag capacity as a G17. It is essentially the same pistol as the G19X or G45 that was designed for the military trials. And if concealment is a priority then shorter G19 15 round mags can be used.

Or... Just buy a G45

https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g45

This photo shows a G26 with G19 mag and a grip sleeve. It can also be used with G17 mags in a G19.

They function just fine without the grip sleeve. But the sleeve may improve the grip and aesthetics for you. I'm content to just use the longer mags without them.

https://www.glockstore.com/Magazine-...=1&custcol9=66

Winston Churchill
Old July 27, 2021, 09:14 AM   #5
Shadow9mm

I have both. Issued 17, personal 19. I shoot both equally well. If I had to choose between the 2, 19 all the way. Carrying the 19, 15rnd mag in the gun with 17rnd mags as spares. If in the night stand 17rnd mag with a +2 extension, 20 total in the gun with 33rnd spares.

The 19 carries a lot better imho

Also if you look at what the military is issuing, they are going to more compact guns vs full size. Not an end all but it says something to the size scenario.
Old July 27, 2021, 09:58 AM   #6
TunnelRat

Glock 17 vs Glock 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
Also if you look at what the military is issuing, they are going to more compact guns vs full size. Not an end all but it says something to the size scenario.

The Army adopted the full-size M17, the rest of the branches adopted the M18. Even the M18 has a full-size grip even if it has a compact slide. The way I see it the most you can conclude from the recent military pistol trials is that a number of branches don’t think the added sight radius and barrel length of the full-size slide assembly really matters. If a person does have large hands I still think there’s something to be said for getting a solid grip on the pistol and for some people the difference between a G17 and a G19 makes that difference important. I’m not one of them because I have smaller hands.

Old July 27, 2021, 10:18 AM   #7
Moonglum

Since you already have an M&P Compct get an M&P FS9. The FS magazines will fit in the compact so you only need to buy 1 type of magazine. Which shortens your supply lines

As for the Glocks I chose the 19 because I'm limited to fifteen rounds by law. My "Back up" is a Glock 26. I bought 5 12 round OEM magazines for it and everything else is a 19 magazine.
Old July 27, 2021, 10:30 AM   #8
Catchabullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglum View Post
Since you already have an M&P Compct get an M&P FS9. The FS magazines will fit in the compact so you only need to buy 1 type of magazine. Which shortens your supply lines

As for the Glocks I chose the 19 because I'm limited to fifteen rounds by law. My "Back up" is a Glock 26. I bought 5 12 round OEM magazines for it and everything else is a 19 magazine.
^ this. I'll add, If you're used to the grip angle of the s&w, the Glock may take a bit to get used to. They're different feeling guns... I recommend at least looking into it and trying both out side by side. But to answer your question, I feel the 17 is pointless and I'd get a 19 over it anyday. Ymmv

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Old July 27, 2021, 10:34 AM   #9
Fishbed77

I own examples of both.

In theory, the 17 should be easier to shoot well due to the longer sight radius and grip.

In reality, I tend to shoot the 19s better. Go figure.

Perhaps it’s because I shoot them more often, or because the triggers are better broken in.
Old July 27, 2021, 11:10 AM   #10
kymasabe

Shoot one before you buy one.
I own S&W's because they point naturally for me, and Glocks don't.
Old July 27, 2021, 11:47 AM   #11
dgludwig

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm guessing Glock sells a lot more Model 19s than they do Model 17s, and there's likely many good reasons why they do-but reasons that don't apply that much to me. Having both models would be nice and appropriate because each one offers their own unique, if small, advantages (and equally insignificant corresponding disadvantages), but if I could only have one it would doubtless be the more adaptable Model 17.

The only thing the Model 19 has over the 17 is that it's a little smaller and a little lighter (now, I admit, being smaller and lighter can be relatively big assets when carrying a pistol concealed). But the 17 isn't that much bigger or heavier and most people should find it easier to shoot accurately (due to the slightly longer sight radius) and quicker (due to its slightly heavier weight which translates into less recoil and muzzle rise, making the pistol to get off quicker repeat shots). Finally, the 17 has a slightly larger ammunition capacity.

Note that I used the adjectives slightly, insignificant, small, relatively and "that much" a lot because the differences between the two models mean little, practically speaking.
Old July 27, 2021, 12:59 PM   #12
Siggy-06

Take a look at the 34 if you want only home defense and range use.
Old July 27, 2021, 01:07 PM   #13
jmhyer

I agree with the recommendations to get a full size M&P.
Old July 27, 2021, 01:39 PM   #14
ciwsguy

I have had both G17 and G19. I only kept the G19 as it fit my hand better and I was more accurate with it.
However, I will not buy any more plastic guns. I decided to try the CZ 75 PCR and have been very pleased with it. Sights are a bit small but it is a superior pistol to the G17 and the G19.
The CZ75 can be decocked and is hammer fired.

Last edited by ciwsguy; July 27, 2021 at 02:05 PM.
Old July 27, 2021, 02:06 PM   #15
Captains1911

I own several of both, and prefer the G45 over them both.
Old July 27, 2021, 03:34 PM   #16
peacefulgary

Between the 2 choices, Glock 19 all the way.

The G17 is great for what it was designed for...a full sized military pistol.
In combat one might be fighting many opponents (maybe a squad or even a platoon).

But for civilian home defense...I can't imagine a situation where I would need to fire more than 15 rounds.
Unless you're Rambo or John Wick. ;-)
Old July 27, 2021, 04:09 PM   #17
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulgary View Post
But for civilian home defense...I can't imagine a situation where I would need to fire more than 15 rounds.Unless you're Rambo or John Wick. ;-)
You know the bad guy has a say in this too right?
Old July 27, 2021, 04:45 PM   #18
gaseousclay

Are the 17 or 19 made in the USA? Or are they both made in Austria?
Old July 27, 2021, 05:20 PM   #19
chadio

Handle one before you commit. Some like the bulldozer sights, some don't. Some like the Stanley stapler trigger, some don't.

I've fired my brother's G19, I didn't completely hate it, but I appreciate & understand their uniqueness and purpose. Best of luck finding the right one for you, at a decent price... panic buying = panic prices.... trending right now.
Old July 27, 2021, 05:44 PM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post
Are the 17 or 19 made in the USA? Or are they both made in Austria?

You can find them made in both locations. Usually it will be in the product description or listing.

Old July 27, 2021, 06:17 PM   #21
Mike38

I used to own both a G17 and a G19. For what ever reason, I could shoot the 19 a bit better. Then I bought a Beretta 92FS. Sold both of the Glocks, if that tells you anything.
Old July 27, 2021, 06:18 PM   #22
larryf1952

For me, I much prefer the G19. The 17 is a nice gun, but it's just a little too long in both the grip and barrel to make it a gun that I'd want to carry or use every day. By contrast, the slightly smaller 19 just feels better in my hand. It's the right size, top and bottom, has nice balance and it still has 15 rounds in the mag.

In my particular case, I have a 3rd Gen G19 (and its equivalent in 40, a 4th Gen G23), and I am the rare bird that loves the way the gun feels in my hand and the way that it points. I have a long hand and fingers, so I can get a full wrap around that big grip and have a full finger on the trigger. I can shoot very, very well with it, even with the OEM sights and trigger.

I should also say that I own Gen 1 M&P's in 9, 40 and 45. They all have Apex trigger parts in them. They are excellent guns, too, and I really don't have a definite preference for either the Glock or the Smiths.
Old July 27, 2021, 07:13 PM   #23
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulgary View Post
Between the 2 choices, Glock 19 all the way.

The G17 is great for what it was designed for...a full sized military pistol.
In combat one might be fighting many opponents (maybe a squad or even a platoon).

But for civilian home defense...I can't imagine a situation where I would need to fire more than 15 rounds.
Unless you're Rambo or John Wick. ;-)
Read, why one officer carries 145 rounds. Very good article
Old July 27, 2021, 08:04 PM   #24
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post
I'm sure some of you own both of these pistols, so I want to solicit your opinions on these guns. I'm considering one of these as my next purchase, however, i'm conflicted on which to get. Some pros and cons would be appreciated.

I do own the S&W M&P 2.0 compact but I don't have a CCW. In the event I ever get a CCW, the S&W should do nicely. With that said, the Glock 19 is virtually the same as the S&W as far as size goes. I watched some reviews on both last night and i'm leaning towards the Glock 17 for home defense use. The reason being that the 17 holds 17 rounds and has a larger grip. One of the reviews also suggested the Glock 17 handles recoil slightly better due to the longer barrel and heavier weight, but I don't know if this is true or not. I don't foresee muzzle flip being an issue. I don't know if i'll get a CCW but never say never.

Mmmm, OK. Thoughts...

Quote:
he reason being that the 17 holds 17 rounds and has a larger grip.
Glocks take longer magazines quite happily. And the 19's grip is already large.

Quote:
One of the reviews also suggested the Glock 17 handles recoil slightly better due to the longer barrel and heavier weight
It's a 9mm. Recoil is minimal in the 19. And the weight of the 17 really isn't that much more.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 27, 2021, 08:16 PM   #25
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
Read, why one officer carries 145 rounds. Very good article
I hear this a lot. I don't think it's applicable to regular non-LEO carrying for personal security.

The guy is carrying 3 fifty round boxes worth of ammo around, on his person, at all times. I'll bet that gets old.

Also, the "I always carry 150 rounds on me" guy is a cop. Different mission, different rules, from the rest of us. Part of his job is to pursue criminals, which is what he was doing during the incident that caused him to embrace the "hail of 9mm lead" strategy.

If Joe Citizen were to follow that advice, and be involved in a self defense shooting, can you imagine what the legal review in the aftermath would be like?

Also see here.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "