The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 9, 2016, 11:13 AM   #26
doofus47

If you're using 1950's era Yugo surplus, then you're ok, minus the need to work out the corrosive salts. I had several WW2-era K98s and a Hakim and none of them had an issue with that particular 8mm surplus.

If you are using the Romanian lacquered steel, you might have an issue, but I have no experience with that.

I had a sticky bolt issue with my Mosin Nagant. I would seize up after about 3 shots at the range. The problem was caused by leftover cosmoline in the chamber and bolt.
I both:
=polished the chamber
=worked much, much bike chain lube through the bolt.

If you don't know how the previous owner lubed or maintained the rifle, you might have a similar issue.

Good luck with that; k98s are fun rifles
Old November 11, 2016, 08:20 PM   #27
surg_res

I feel sorry for this fine rifle. Can I purchase it as an act of mercy?
Old November 11, 2016, 10:09 PM   #28
jrothWA

Take is toa smith...

and get the HEADSPACE checked, it maybe below MINIMUM headspace situation. The chamber might have to be lengthened.

Next, ammo must be brass case and at SAMMI recognized pressure levels.

If head space is correct then try chucking a .45 caliber bore brush in a drill and SHINE the chamber up.

AS far as "set-back" of the action, best way is to remove the barrel and inspect the faces.

Keep us advised.
Old November 12, 2016, 12:16 AM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
and get the HEADSPACE checked, it maybe below MINIMUM headspace situation. The chamber might have to be lengthened.
Below MINIMUM generally won't chamber live ammo, but exceptions can happen.

Ammo does not HAVE to be brass cased (Germany used a lot of steel cased ammo during the war) and SAAMI specs are US industry standards. A 1944 K98 Mauser would have been made to German standards. (and commercial US 8mm Mauser ammo is not the same as the WWII German stuff, its milder)

Brass cased and SAAMI spec ammo SHOULD be used, but aren't the only things that will work correctly.

Since the rifle has been sporterized, by someone else, taking to a gunsmith for a complete check out can't hurt anything.

Based on the OP, I still stand by the problem being the ammo, not the rifle. The OP said the problem happens sometimes (not every time, and not every so many rounds) so that means it is random. I don't know the steel cased ammo he is using, so I can't say about that. Surplus ammo from Yugoslavia? probably ok when first made, but even if it was, what has happened in the decades since???

Have the rifle checked (and ok'd) by a COMPETENT gunsmith, and shoot some QUALITY ammo. DO that, and I'd be amazed if you have to beat the bolt open "sometimes".
Old November 13, 2016, 02:10 AM   #30
emcon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothWA
Next, ammo must be brass case and at SAMMI recognized pressure levels.
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
Brass cased and SAAMI spec ammo SHOULD be used, but aren't the only things that will work correctly.
Any SAMMI spec ammo will be woefully underpowered compared to the original military load the rifle was built around. The 1933 s.S. Patrone was ~198gr FMJBT @ ~2500 FPS.

When the 8X57 was introduced, it had a 0.318 bore, and was later changed to .323, and because of this, most of the ammo you can get in the US is crap.

US manufacturers were afraid some dimwit would try and shoot a full power .323 through their .318 bore Gewehr 88 and blow up the gun, and hurt themselves. Europeans figured if you don't know what ammo your gun can safely shoot, you are a moron and deserve whatever happens to you.

Regardless, there are two specifications for what we call 8mm Mauser, the US SAMMI spec "8MM Mauser", which has a max pressure of 35K psi, and the European CIP "8x57 IS" which has a max pressure of ~56K psi. To further muddy the waters, "8x57 IS" is often written as "8x57 JS, evidently because the Germans used a Gothic script, and the I looked like a J.

Generally, what you can get in the US is "8MM Mauser", and it the anemic SAMMI spec.

Privi Partisan actually makes both, if you look at their online catalog, they have entries for both "8MM Mauser" and "8x57 IS", with the latter having a higher velocity for the same bullet. For example, the "8x57" IS 198 gr FMJ is 2425 FPS, (essentially the 1934+ military load), but the "8MM Mauser" 198 gr FMJ is only 2180 FPS. Naturally, they only sell the wimpy stuff in the US.

Wolf Gold is a decent hunting bullet made by Privi and loaded to 8x57 IS specs, 196 gr SP @ 2461 fps, but I haven't seen it around in a while.

Remington's and Winchester's only offerings is 170 gr @ 2360fps. Federal's only option is even wimpier 170gr @ 2250 FPS.

Hornady and Nosler seem to be the only US folks making "real" 8x57 ammo, Hornady has two options, a 195 hunting bullet and a 196 gr match, both @ 2500 FPS, which is pretty close to the original military load.

Nosler has a 200gr AccuBond or Partition at 2475 fps, and a 180gr Ballistic tip at 2600 FPS, but they are really proud of them, at about $2.50 per round.

Seller & Belot and Norma both make a few 196 loads at ~2600 FPS, but availability is spotty, and while the price on the S&B is decent, the Norma stuff is up in the $2.50/round neighborhood.

That being said, if it shoots OK in your rifle, even the wimpy stuff should be adequate for just about any game animal in North America.
Old November 17, 2016, 05:52 PM   #31
Prothe2nd

Thanks for all the responses. As for the corrosive argument, I've been using hoppes no. 9 for as long as I've had the gun, for 4 years. I've used corrosive ammo the entire time I've owned as well. I've never poured water, or windex down my rifle and there's no rust what so ever.
Old November 18, 2016, 12:02 AM   #32
emcon5

You got lucky then.

Where do you live? Is it pretty dry there? I live in the desert, I could probably get away without cleaning at all after shooting corrosive.

Go to the bottom of the page:
https://web.archive.org/web/20070707...alt/index2.asp

Tags
bolt action , mauser , sticky bolt