The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 17, 2019, 11:42 AM   #26
aarondhgraham

I got to that point two years ago.

I always used my income tax return as "New Gun Money",,,
Two years ago I was sitting on $1,100 available cash.

I still have it in an envelope,,,
I just couldn't find anything that thrilled me.

That changed a week ago when I read about the new Kel Tec P17 .22 pistol.

A 17 round .22 semi-auto with three mags for an MSRP of $199.00,,,
I just hafta have one of these puppies.

The Evil Pawn Shop has already put in a standing order for one for me,,,
As soon as Kel Tec starts shipping them in mid-November,,,
I'll have one one of these to play with.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 17, 2019, 12:59 PM   #27
mr bolo

stick with Quality , not Quantity

Im very selective after decades of gun buying, I prefer quality over quantity

No oddball calibers, I learned that it's best to stick with standard or more common ammo, and only top of the line major gun manufacturers with factory support and warranty.

unless you just want a gun for collecting and dont need to shoot it, I only buy a new gun if I plan to use it, no safe queens for me (I do own a few safe queens for sentimental reasons, like family heirlooms)

Last edited by mr bolo; September 17, 2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old September 17, 2019, 08:03 PM   #28
tlm225

I'm just about at the point of buying no more guns for myself. I'm not a collector, just a user and I have all but one need covered. I have some that I don't need but hang onto for the memories. All of my guns get taken to the range or woods on a regular basis.
Old September 17, 2019, 08:56 PM   #29
berettaprofessor

Yeah, I've pretty much stopped. In fact, I cut back about 20% in total numbers...over the past two years I've sold about 4 guns for every one I bought. I may keep thinning the herd some, but I will always accept a great buy or a really unusual item. And there is always a core that I won't get rid off; the ones to pass down; heirlooms, sentimental ones.

My main recent purchases have been AR's in different calibers. I enjoy shooting them, but frankly, I think they are least likely to have collector value; the market is flooded with inexpensive AR's and nobody appreciates the cost of a nice trigger or fancy handguard once it's on a rifle...it's a hidden way of burning money.
Old September 17, 2019, 09:37 PM   #30
doofus47

Oddly, I've been there for a few years. I wish I had time to get out more often, but I've migrated through various phases: 8mm mauser, WW2 long guns, semi-fun.
I've pretty much settled into what I can shoot well anymore. It was fun trying them all, though!
Old September 18, 2019, 01:35 AM   #31
Scorch

Yes, I'm at that point, too. After years of gunsmithing and building guns for other people and a few for myself, coupled with the ones I took in on trade and just couldn't live without and the ones I'm still trying to get rid of, plus my friends dying and leaving me guns, I'm full up. Don't want any more of 'em, got plenty.
Old September 18, 2019, 08:33 AM   #32
USNRet93

Pretty much done on the handgun front..have 3..range, carry and deep carry. I have a nice shotgun and 22LR plinker but have a hankering for one of these

-223/556 semi auto rifle..maybe a early gen M16 lookalike
-Ruger Mini-14
-Vintage M14
-Vintage m1 carbine..

all I need is the $.......

"Tools not Trophies”
Old September 18, 2019, 01:55 PM   #33
JJ45

To the OP, I have reached the point where I have sold some and given some to friends or relatives.

The more I had, the more that needed taken care of and since I am a shooter/hunter rather than a collector I only kept a select bunch. People own guns for different reasons and sometimes a combination of reasons....some C&R and other collectors have many guns they never shoot. Some have only a few they shoot often. There are many in-betweens.
Old September 18, 2019, 02:20 PM   #34
red caddy

Well, fer me it ain't about need, or want. I've been a player in the gun world since 1965, a military career and a law enforcement career. (married to a girl with a great sense of humor)

I don't have a gun collection, I have a collection of guns. Rifles from the big Africans to the rim fire pea shooters, full auto, semi auto, pumps, lever guns and single shot. Hand guns from 45-70 to .22 RF, revolvers, pistols, bolt and single shot. I don't shoot any of them nearly enough.

It seems that when I finish one project, I pick up 3 more. Being a gun smith, with machine tools is an addiction...

Now that I am twice retired, I've slowed down a bit, but I don't think I will stop, until the coffin lid closes.

That about covers it

Paul in the swamp
Old September 18, 2019, 05:13 PM   #35
M88

Slowed down yes... how many Garands or WW 1&2 milsurps does one REALLY need? But always on the lookout for something unique that I think I might like to have or something I've had my eye on but haven't found the right one yet! At some point it gets to where you run out of gun safe room. Not ever going to store guns in a closet or under a bed!
Old September 18, 2019, 05:16 PM   #36
JWT

Have been to the 'ain't gonna buy no more' point several times. Then I'll see something that I 'really need' and the process starts over again..
Old September 18, 2019, 05:38 PM   #37
JohnKSa
Staff

I haven't exactly stopped buying guns, but these days I am thinking a lot more about selling some guns than about buying some.
Old September 18, 2019, 06:32 PM   #38
pete2

I've stopped til I see one I want.
Old September 18, 2019, 08:54 PM   #39
sparkyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham View Post
That changed a week ago when I read about the new Kel Tec P17 .22 pistol.

A 17 round .22 semi-auto with three mags for an MSRP of $199.00,,,
I just hafta have one of these puppies.

The Evil Pawn Shop has already put in a standing order for one for me,,,
As soon as Kel Tec starts shipping them in mid-November,,,
I'll have one one of these to play with.

Aarond

Man that's ugly...now it's on "The List".

To the OP, I've selected an arbitrary maximum number of firearms that I will own at any given time. If I want another, I'll have to get rid of one to make room for the new one. Makes sense for me, especially since I can't get out to the range more then twice a month; I shoot my guns, I won't own any safe queens.
Old October 3, 2019, 11:17 PM   #40
ronl

I have to admit I'm at that point now. Just do not need or want any more weapons. The final rifle I wanted was a top tier AR. I picked up a POF Renegade plus and my desire to acquire more guns has withered away. Now, that hasn't really quenched the desire to upgrade, but even that has subsided as most of my guns are in the condition I have sought to get them into, such as good optics, mounts, triggers, etc. It is rather unnerving as I sit here thinking about it. I must really be getting old. Come to think of it I was eyeing that 6 mm CM, and my M1A really could use a new scope mount. Well, I might not be as far gone as I thought
Old October 4, 2019, 09:24 AM   #41
Skans

I have concluded that the number of guns I presently have is "enough". So, I have committed that if I am going to buy another, it must be rare or exceptional quality and I need to get rid of at least one gun I don't want. So, in essence, I still desire to "trade up" for some more interesting guns than some of my less interesting guns. If that makes any sense!
Old October 4, 2019, 11:40 AM   #42
Armed_Chicagoan

Several times...
Old October 4, 2019, 11:49 AM   #43
upstate81

I have most everything i need these days. Unless i see a blued smith and wesson in the used case....then i have to at least hold it!!
Old October 4, 2019, 01:23 PM   #44
Schlitz 45

What I really need is more than anything is the time to go play with what I have accumulated
Much like my guitars (14 & holding) I’ve filled my wants & needs pretty well & have tapered off on new purchases considerably-but always on the lookout for the “one”.
Old October 4, 2019, 01:35 PM   #45
SIGSHR

I haven't bought one in years, I am far from deprived, a closet full of safe queens, etc.
Old October 4, 2019, 05:10 PM   #46
American Man

I buy 2-3 pistols and/or revolvers / rifles a year. It's a better hobby than crack or heroin and I don't drink or smoke... so I can justify it. I think I spend more on ammo though... and with the coming hysteria from the democrats, I'll be glad I did. I can say that I will never be down to one box of stingers again... I have an adequate supply of everything now. I learned from this country's biggest mistake ever made... from the election in 2008 till we Made America Great Again!!
Old October 4, 2019, 09:23 PM   #47
Jbar4Ranch

Yes... and no.
At its peak, my accumulection totaled 335. That's insane. I jumped through the hoops and acquired an FFL so I could sell a bunch of them before I pass on, and not have to pay a $30+ transfer fee on the ones I sold to out-of-state buyers. I know a lot of others who are fed up with ever increasing transfer fees, so I've kept my rates at a flat $20 per 4473 (Instead of $20 per gun), AND I'm registered with California DOJ to do transfers there too. It's not a big deal - it took about 10 minutes online.
It's worked well, and the numbers are dwindling rapidly, but, yes, I still occasionally buy something for myself.

SASS 47015
Old October 5, 2019, 09:19 AM   #48
J.G. Terry

How many?

Over the years I had been where guns were bought, sold, and traded. I had the walls covered with some pretty decent firearms plus a full gun safe. I retired. That retirement changed the money spending situation

The trading and buying went down significantly. Next came a moment of clarity. I could reload for all the long guns. Exactly, how many rifle can I load and shoot at the same time. I started selling items I had not used. It's easy to focus on two rifles at a time working up new loads or just shooting. The handgun load building was mainly done years ago. The interest in just adding more guns is gone for now. Reloading and casting bullets is a larger part of the shooting hobby here on the hill. My interest had shifted in recent years.
Old October 5, 2019, 12:01 PM   #49
Carne Frio

I'm 74, so yes I quit buying a few years ago.
I still trade now and then with friends.
Old October 5, 2019, 04:33 PM   #50
ejfalvo

I had quite a collection of firearms amassed over the last 10 years. I woke up one morning and realized that most just sat in the safe and hadn't been shot in years. i also realized i was getting old and quite honestly my heirs don't share my passion for firearms and decided to thin the herd and sell those 'extras' to people who wanted them. Ive kept a few gems as well as the CCW and HD firearms. I don't miss those sold and nothing new has come on the market that has said 'buy me'. I also narrowed calibers down to 9mm, 45 ACP and 223/556.