The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 5, 2019, 10:22 PM   #1
wmg1299

Lifespan of a Ruger SR-22

I picked up a Ruger SR-22 several years ago to train my sons on the basics of semi-auto pistol shooting. While I bought it as a cheap training tool, my boys and their cousins have grown to love the thing. The gun, which I never intended to be passed down as a family heirloom, has become the kids’ favorite. The boys may be getting close to putting 5000 rounds of mainly bulk ammo through it with very few failures. I clean and lube the gun every time it is fired. Does anyone have an estimate of how long I can reasonably expect the thing to last?
Old September 5, 2019, 11:32 PM   #2
CarJunkieLS1

Does it really matter...Ruger is the best in the business if it breaks they'll fix it. Enjoy the pistol and shoot the snot out of it, when it breaks call Ruger and when they return it to you shoot the snot out of it again.
Old September 6, 2019, 05:39 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmg1299 View Post
I picked up a Ruger SR-22 several years ago to train my sons on the basics of semi-auto pistol shooting. While I bought it as a cheap training tool, my boys and their cousins have grown to love the thing. The gun, which I never intended to be passed down as a family heirloom, has become the kids’ favorite. The boys may be getting close to putting 5000 rounds of mainly bulk ammo through it with very few failures. I clean and lube the gun every time it is fired. Does anyone have an estimate of how long I can reasonably expect the thing to last?
First of all, congratulations on successfully raising two new shooters!

Second, and let me start with the caveat that I don't own an SR-22. That said, and given that it's a Ruger .22, I think the answer is probably "longer than you." With decent maintenance (which you have, apparently), I know of no reason it won't outlast you.
Old September 6, 2019, 10:48 AM   #4
osbornk

If you continue to maintain it as you have, it will outlast your grandchildren.
Old September 6, 2019, 11:22 AM   #5
TheGunGeek

I have a Mark IV not the SR22. Using normal LRN standard velocity ammo, I doubt you'll ever shoot out the barrel. Some kinds of very high-end match ammo has been known to create throat wear, however you won't see this in your use case. Keep a few extra magazines on-hand, and perhaps a few springs and the family should be good indefinitely.

.22's are the only firearms I own which I don't bother to keep round counts on. If you keep them clean they last forever.
Old September 6, 2019, 11:51 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...never intended to be passed down as a family heirloom..." Just the same, you can expect to do just that. No other mass produced manufactured good can make that claim either.
5,000 rounds is nothing. A lot of Bullseye shooters, who use high end .22 target pistols, buy .22 ammo by the case. Usually costs less.
And you really don't need to clean the thing every time you shoot it. You clean 'em once a year or so. .22's are just like that. And it's the kids who should be taking care of it.
Old September 6, 2019, 11:58 AM   #7
Jim Watson

The SR22 will hold up very well for a cheap gun made cheaply out of cheap materials.
But it is no Mk II.
If you worry about its durability, get a spare so the kids will have something to shoot in case you have to learn about Ruger "customer service."
Old September 6, 2019, 02:00 PM   #8
wmg1299

Thanks for the replies, but I may need to clarify a bit. I am not too worried about replacement cost of the gun, it's more an issue of accidentally making one of the cheapest pistols I've ever purchased into something with sentimental value to the kids. I may be showing my age a bit, but it never occurred to me that someone might develop an attachment to a plastic gun. When I was growing up, our dads shot 1911's and revolvers (except the fancy dads with one of the "new" Beretta's like the military had just adopted) and it went without saying that those would be passed down. I'm glad to hear that this one should last at least a few more years. If the prices stay reasonable and the economy allows, I may just buy one for each of the cousins as graduation gifts when the time comes.
Old September 6, 2019, 03:06 PM   #9
NoSecondBest

I had three Browning Buckmarks that went over 100,000 each before I sold them....and they were working as well the day they got sold as the day I got them. I'm not pushing Browning's, I've always told anyone who asked that a Ruger was a tank and was the most durable handgun I know of. You might have to replace a spring someday, but you'll NEVER wear out the gun.
Old September 7, 2019, 06:09 AM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmg1299 View Post
. . . .I'm glad to hear that this one should last at least a few more years. If the prices stay reasonable and the economy allows, I may just buy one for each of the cousins as graduation gifts when the time comes.
I have to admit that one of my first thoughts was, "several kids and one gun . . . . that's a problem."

Let me second something I saw posted. If they're old enough to shoot, they're old enough to clean the gun. This is a good chance to teach the value of taking care of your things.
Old September 7, 2019, 10:26 AM   #11
Carl the Floor Walker

Yes, I agree, Maintenance is a crusial Key.

I have one since it first came out. Can't even begin to tell you how many rounds I have fired through it over the years. I train often with 22.cals and the SR22.cal as example, I have now about 15 magazines. I do change the recoil springs on a regular basis and every few years will change out other springs as well.
That said, the SR22 is not my favorite. Weird trigger, much like the LCPll but not quite as bad.

I have had it sent in about three times for the same problem and now just do not mess with any longer. It keeps doing this in the Pic below. It was replaced years ago because of this issue but you can see it just keeps happening.

I also do not like the way Ruger did the safety in reverse. For that reason I would not start a youngster on the gun. If he his going to learn how to use a safety later on in life, then start early.
I also do not understand why folks compare them to the Mark series pistols. These are two different classes of firearms. And the SR22 is not meant for target shooting.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; September 7, 2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old September 7, 2019, 11:03 AM   #12
hammie

I bought a ruger SR22 when they first came out, and I've not had any problems. However, there were reports of takedown lever breakage in the early models. Whether ruger has since corrected this, I don't know. I do know that the problem is perceived to be real enough that there are supposedly stronger after market takedown levers available (twintechtactical.com), and the makers will not warranty the lever, because they consider it a sacrificial part.

As an aside...for what it is, and for its intended purpose, I have no problems with my SR22. However, my son later bought a Walther P22Q, and we both like it better.
Old September 8, 2019, 11:46 PM   #13
dyl

Carl the Floor Walker -

If I'm not mistaken, the picture you took happens with other aluminum slide 22 pistols also. The slide lock that engages after the last shot in a magazine is made of steel. The slide is made of aluminum, and steel wins! Although the finish is buggered up, the problem may slow down when maximum surface contact occurs and unfortunately looks even worse. I guess a problem then would be if the slide lock creates it's own happy indentation, it might get harder to release the slide lock and you'd have to file down any burrs or lips that form. Good thing Ruger has a warranty. I think the new Taurus TX-22 (or something like that) has a steel insert because of this.
Old September 9, 2019, 07:31 AM   #14
wild cat mccane

A reference, I have a first year Walther P22 which Ruger in some areas copied to make the SR-22.

With the Walther's zamak slide, it still looks pretty newish. The SR-22 earlier and still suffers from that area shown above. Which is a bit funny because before this was a known issue, Ruger fans were quite excited about aluminum over the Walther's zamak. Oh well

The P22 and SR-22 manuals say high velocity is required to consistently reciprocate the slide.

Despite the zamak slide and internet fears, I would do the P22 again or get the new Taurus 22 with the 16rnd mag.

To answer your question, the slide may (likely) break on the SR-22 as it gets higher rnd count), but once replaced, you should run into other issues.
Old September 9, 2019, 07:33 AM   #15
bedbugbilly

I, like others here, do't think you'll have much of a problem in regards to wearing it out - BUT - parts o any gun can break. I'm thinking of the old 22 pump we had as kids that was my mother's when she was young and it was used when she got it - a Remington IIRC. Anyway, the ejector and several other parts on it wore out/broke and the gun shop's smith said to junk it as it wasn't worth fixing.

I own have owned Rugers and they have been great handguns - never need CS but it was there if I did. If your "boys" enjoy this pistol so much - when it comes time to "pass it on" - how are you going to pick the one to give it to? Even if Ruger discontinues the model, there will be used ones out there for many years - BUT - and it's just a thought - if the pistol is liked so much by your boys, why not buy a new one for each of them and just "tuck it away" for them? Not assuming you are made of $$$ but over time, get one for each of them and then when they become adults, make it a point to give it to them on a special occasion - maybe their 21st birthday? They will always remember it and in years to come, it will provide them with priceless memories of you, their childhood and all the fun you had together.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63