The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 4, 2019, 08:39 AM   #51
MTT TL

Quote:
The irony here is, the El Paso shooter bought his ammunition online.
Quote:
Irony - the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

It would be irony if just about every measure taken by businesses and laws proposed and passed had something to do with the event that is cited for the reason of these things.

They practically never do.

So instead of irony I think we just kind of expect it at this point.
Old September 4, 2019, 09:35 AM   #52
seanc

We will be cancelling our Sams club membership (November renewal). Cancelling, and doing it early and telling them why will help send a message.

9mm reloading: I know it doesn't make sense compared to cheap bulk purchases, but my practice ammo is as accurate as my SD ammo. My price comparison is against the $15+/box fmj/poly, not the $6.50 Wolf crap. It still doesn't make sense, but it eases the feeling of stupid a little...also, my pistols don't get as dirty and fouled as fast as with the cheap stuff.
Old September 4, 2019, 09:42 AM   #53
MarkA

SGAmmo and MidwayUSA are the only places that get my money for ammo usually anyway, unless I'm at the LGS and just bought a new toy that needs something I don't have. Then I'll grab a box or two. I loathe Wal-mart, generally speaking.
Old September 4, 2019, 09:49 AM   #54
jrinne0430

Definitely let Walmart know your thoughts regardless if they care or not. Maybe they will stop selling all firearms and ammo (end goal of the antis and CEO). Does not matter...what does is that we make our voices heard. We may not be able to change their mind but if we all send a message, we can certainly influence other companies. Contact info below one more time.

Walmart's contact:
https://corporate.walmart.com/store-corporate-feedback

-select company feedback then follow instructions. you will be required to pick a store but email goes to Corp.
Old September 4, 2019, 10:00 AM   #55
JERRYS.

the right gifts low prices everyday, Academy....
Old September 4, 2019, 10:03 AM   #56
rickyrick

Walmart has positioned themselves to be the only place to shop in many towns. In other places they aren’t a big deal, there’s other means.

In the end, boycotts won’t work because people simply don’t have the fortitude to follow through.
Just like this day and age, we all know that many of our products come to us at a cost in human suffering, but yet Americans continue to buy those products. Walmart has already calculated the risks in this move, and it won’t have a significant effect on their future.
Old September 4, 2019, 10:43 AM   #57
jrinne0430

Still let Walmart know your thoughts on this. If you cannot completely stop buying at Walmart then cut back a little...get some of your groceries somewhere else, prescription filled through Rite Aid, oil change somewhere else, a different place here and there. We may not be able to change Walmart's mind but we sure can let them know our displeasure.

I spoke with my wife (she never liked Walmart) about this and she agreed we will now do our grocery shopping at Shoppers or Food Lion. I will have my oil changed by a local shop whom is priced close to what Walmart offered. When I need meds, I will have it filled by CVS or Rite Aid. Will I still go to Walmart? Not sure...but not nearly as much as I did prior.

Last edited by jrinne0430; September 4, 2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old September 4, 2019, 10:55 AM   #58
MTT TL

Quote:
In the end, boycotts won’t work because people simply don’t have the fortitude to follow through.
It is tough for me to boycott a place I don't shop at. There are lots of reasons to not go to Walmart:
- High crime area
- Lack of customer support
- Rude staff, almost as rude as the commissary
Old September 4, 2019, 11:23 AM   #59
zincwarrior

Physically dark.
Meat is suspect.
Good luck finding something made in the Americas, much less the USA there.
Old September 4, 2019, 11:39 AM   #60
MTT TL

Quote:
Good luck finding something made in the Americas, much less the USA there.
There will be even less of that soon when they stop the ammo and gun sales.
Old September 4, 2019, 11:45 AM   #61
godale

Quote:
Originally Posted by zincwarrior View Post
I imagine they will get out of firearms entirely shortly.

I can see that happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 4, 2019, 12:41 PM   #62
rickyrick

Well near half the country has been brainwashed into progressivism, it’s time for the rest to be dragged in unwillingly.
Soon you won’t be able to use a bank or other financial institution to purchase firearm related items. It will end up like the marijuana shops are now, cash only and they track your real ID to make sure you don’t make multiple purchases.

However, I support private businesses right to make whatever decisions they want.
Old September 4, 2019, 01:02 PM   #63
TruthTellers

Walmart will likely dump intermediate rifle ammo that's mainly in semi auto rifles (5.56/.223, 7.62x39) and semi auto pistol ammo like 9/40/45, but I don't see them stopping .22 ammo sales and I think it would be stupid of them to dump revolver ammo that is used frequently by hunters in rifles.

.44 Mag is a very popular deer rifle caliber for short to medium ranges, .357 to some extent too.

I don't have an issue with Walmart asking people not to open carry, after that dope with the AR went walking around a Walmart I asked myself if I was a cop or a concealed carrier what I would have done. At this point if someone is OC'ing an AR or AK, it's a potential mass shooter, if they're OC'ing a pistol on a holster it's exercising 2A.

What I don't like tho is how Walmart is now basically telling people who view the 2nd Amendment through a self defense lens and not a hunting lens to screw. Handguns are largely self defense tools and sport shooting tools and they need ammo to be used, but Walmart, given they now are of the opinion that the 2nd amendment was only meant for hunting and nothing else, see any gun, ammo, or accessory that doesn't fit the FUDD narratives is some evil thing that must be removed from society.

My concern is the more that guns/ammo are removed from everyday society (Walmart is a staple of our culture, like it or not) the more people are going to view guns, gun owners as some sort of boogeyman akin to that of a sex offender and will have to be treated like pariahs.
Old September 4, 2019, 01:25 PM   #64
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
They’d rather be moral and virtuous.
I'm sure they would rathe be, but they ARE being neither!
Old September 4, 2019, 01:30 PM   #65
osbornk

Isn't ammo one of the last things Walmart sells that isn't made in China?
Old September 4, 2019, 02:53 PM   #66
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer
Open carry is little more than gun people saying in your face to non gun people. Get a concealed carry license, they don't care about that! Considering the number f people going into their store's, I think they are being reasonable. I can carry open but unless I as out hunting, I never do. I have no desire to provoke either the idiot anti or the people actually afraid of gun's.
There are (at least) two sides to that argument.

There's no question that some people are traumatized by the mere sight of a firearm. We know this because there have been multiple reports of police officers in uniform having been asked to leave stores and restaurants because patrons became unhinged by the sight of the cops' duty weapons. But ... we all here know (I hope) that a firearm doesn't go off by itself. It fires when someone pulls the trigger. So the phenomenon of people coming unglued at the mere sight of a firearm is a manifestation of a phobic response.

Jeff Cooper created a word to describe this: "hoplophobia." Wikipedia quotes Cooper on this thusly:

Quote:
I coined the term "hoplophobia" in 1962 in response to a perceived need for a word to describe a mental aberration consisting of an unreasoning terror of gadgetry, specifically, weapons. The most common manifestation of hoplophobia is the idea that instruments possess a will of their own, apart from that of their user. This is not a reasoned position, but when you point this out to a hoplophobe he is not impressed because his is an unreasonable position. To convince a man that he is not making sense is not to change his viewpoint but rather to make an enemy. Thus hoplophobia is a useful word, but as with all words, it should be used correctly.
One approach to treating phobias is desensitization -- gradually increasing exposure to the phobic agent to allow the person to recognize that the agent is not dangerous to them. Consequently, the notion that we should only carry concealed, even where open carry is legal, is in some ways counter-productive. While carrying openly can (and almost certainly will) trigger a hoplophobic response in some people, I think if fence-sitters were exposed to more people in clean, neat, "business casual" type clothing who happen to be wearing a gun on their hip while going about their daily affairs, the message would be conveyed that not everyone who carries a gun is a neck-bearded troglodyte and a menace to society.

The sad irony is that, in general, the very people who would be the best ambassadors for open carry are those who generally eschew open carry, while those who serve as the worst possible examples are those who seem most likely to practice it.

I have always thought it instructive that in the 19th century open carry was (in most places) accepted without question. Back then, it was concealed carry that was frowned upon, because it was "sneaky" and ungentlemanly. Gentlemen and real men carried their sidearms out in the open; only gamblers and crooks carried concealed firearms.

How the worm turns.
Jeepaholic
Old September 4, 2019, 03:08 PM   #67
P5 Guy

https://tennesseefirearms.com/2019/0...un-ban-agenda/

Tennessee fights back against billionaire funded gun control group.
Old September 4, 2019, 05:51 PM   #68
Bartholomew Roberts

There are a couple of aspects of this that annoy me.

1) Wal-Mart just magically created a category of ammunition that doesn’t exist (“short-barrel rifle ammunition” )and not one media organization called them on this.

2) Wal-Mart threw .223/5.56 under the bus but they’ll continue to sell 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel, .300 BLK, etc. Typical talking out of both sides of their mouth duplicity.
Old September 4, 2019, 09:03 PM   #69
elsancudo

The ripple effect of Walmart selling out and not re-stocking is going to be significant because of shipping charges and hazmat charges too since it's ammo. The effect is going to be significant.
Old September 4, 2019, 09:29 PM   #70
MTT TL

Quote:
Our remaining assortment will be even more focused on the needs of hunting and sport shooting enthusiasts.
I don't see how stopping the sale of the most popular centerfire cartridge in the world (5.56) is going to focus on the needs of "sport shooting enthusiasts" in a positive way.
Old September 5, 2019, 08:14 AM   #71
P5 Guy

WalMart's CEO folds like a cheap suit to pressure from astroturf EveryTown/MomsDemand shill Bloomberg.
Old September 5, 2019, 10:01 AM   #72
jrinne0430

Quote:
The ripple effect of Walmart selling out and not re-stocking is going to be significant because of shipping charges and hazmat charges too since it's ammo. The effect is going to be significant.
I have not seen hazmat charges for loaded ammunition...there is for reloading supplies (i.e. loose powder, primers). The only Walmart I've seen selling reloading supplies was in PA. Either way, it will have a negative affect on a lot of us across the country. It's a shame that a cultural icon like Walmart jumped into this fray.
Old September 5, 2019, 10:47 AM   #73
JERRYS.

Walmart, Kmart, now what is the difference?
Old September 5, 2019, 01:34 PM   #74
Paul B.

"I wonder if they are going to quit stocking .22lr ammo?"

I asked at my local Walmart yesterday that very question and was told, "Yes. It can be used in hanguns."

Paul B.
Old September 5, 2019, 01:39 PM   #75
rickyrick

I thought Assault Weapons were evil
Closed Thread