The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 24, 2019, 05:05 PM   #1
Metric

rust pits, wax, and lubes

Suppose we have a blued handgun with a few spots where minor rust has gone through the finish, leaving behind a few tiny pits (now cleaned out). The concern is that the pits are potential sites for new rust, and we'd like to prevent that from happening.

Basically, we'd like to fill the pits somehow. Something like CLP is effective for a little while, but it seems to disappear from the surface after a bit of field use/carrying. CLP might remain inside the gun for quite a while, but I'm mainly worried about the gun exterior here, where the pitting is -- that's where the CLP evaporates or rubs off quickly.

I've heard Renaissance Wax suggested, and it seems like this might have more permanence inside rust pits. Does anyone know? My next question is whether CLP (or similar) will remove the wax from the surface. I.e. does it make sense to apply wax and then a layer of CLP, or would this completely defeat the purpose of the wax?
Old August 25, 2019, 05:45 AM   #2
BarryLee

I use Renaissance Wax on metal, wood and leather with good results. If the gun you are referring to is being stored have you considered RIG?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 25, 2019, 05:57 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

CLP and most gun oils will remove the wax.

CLP Breakfree will penetrate down into the pits and stay there, stopping rust.
This would probably work better then anything else I can think off, because of the penetrating/creeping ability of CLP.

Wax will probably just bridge over the pits and never get down into them.
You can apply CLP and let it soak a day or so to get fully into the pits, then wipe the surface off and apply wax.

Wax is a good metal protectant for static storage or display, but it rubs off too easily for a user gun protectant.
CLP and other surface treatments also wear off but since they creep and spread they offer good protection on a gun that's in use.
Just apply a little more at the end of the day.
Old August 26, 2019, 01:25 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...a bit of field use/carrying..." That'll remove anything you put on. However, CLP leaves a thin film that prevents further corrosion. It doesn't evaporate. It dries. It's not for long term storage though. For long term storage, use grease. Barry's 'RIG' is a grease brand name. Any grease will do though.