The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 15, 2019, 12:19 AM   #26
kmw1954

These are just my own personal opinions and observations.

There are way too many facets to the problem than we have bandwidth for and not one can take all the blame and not all can take any of them blame separately, but conjoin them together and anything is possible.

I have an older brother that is a retired clinical psychologist and we have debated this many evenings.

Mental illness comes in many forms and levels, just take depression for one example. Then there are addictions which run from gambling to sex to just plain adrenaline junkies. Then we can add emotional disorders which too run the gamut. Finally add Mental disorder with an emotional disorder and you find a whole new can of worms.

Drug addiction is a separate issue by itself and again add any of the above and then what?

I cannot prove it but at the same time I partially blame the downfall of religion in society and the rise in secularism. That in many ways we have lost out moral compass. Things like life that use to have value above all else has somehow been diminished. When I can drive down the road and watch a driver swerve to hit a turtle in the road it makes me sad. Or a step farther, in the past month I have had to steer off the hi-way twice to avoid being creamed head on and that was on a road that has a double yellow line.

I just get a feeling that society as a whole has taken a sharp decline. Many people today couldn't even tell you the name of their neighbor across the street. To offer help, to a neighbor you don't know. Unheard of!

Thirty years ago we didn't see the types of shooting that are happening so frequently today and yes I separate that from the inner city violence that happen nightly to me those are separate issues driven by totally different paradigms. Not that one is any less violent or meaningless than the other because they are not. Though our society and the medias treat them completely different. So just what is it that has changed in our society? It's not the guns! It's US.
Old September 18, 2019, 12:20 PM   #27
Mannlicher

Demographics matter.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 18, 2019, 03:23 PM   #28
MTT TL

Quote:
If you recognize that taking the guns away won't stop the killing, only change the common methods, why do you think taking the drugs away will stop the killing?
Because it IS the underlying cause. Show me a country with a low rate of drug abuse and a high murder rate. Unless they are in a civil war it doesn't exist. Show me a country with a high murder rate and there are either tons of drug activity or drug use or both.

Quote:
Assuming you could. You CAN get the medical establishment to stop proscribing certain drugs through the authority of the government, but that same government has been fighting a "war on drugs" for a long time now, and they haven't been able to "take away" the supply of illegal drugs overall.

You say "take the drugs away and the most of killing may stop" but aren't we ALREADY doing what is humanly possible at taking away ILLEGAL drugs?
We are not. You would have to go back to WWII days to see the US doing everything humanely possibly to stop the inflow of drugs. The big influx of drugs did not start till the 60s. You will note the corresponding rise in violent crime, mass shootings, assaults and everything else. I mean gosh perhaps you can come up with another factor with such a good control? Before introduction of drugs and after introduction of drugs. And again not speaking to depressants, lest you head down the road again.

Quote:
I believe we've put more people in prison over the years, for possession of a prohibited plant or chemical compound than we have for violent crimes like murder, rape, and assault. That's our best effort at taking away the drugs, and its gotten us where we are today.
You are missing a few points here. Firstly people still get drugs in prison. Sometimes they can get them easier than at home. Secondly most of the people in prison are already drug addled when they show up. Often times the solution to that problem is to... yep give them even more mind altering drugs. Locking a bunch of drug addicts up together in a room and giving them more drugs doesn't seem like much of a solution to me either.

The reason there are more people in prison for drugs is pretty obvious. More people commit controlled substance crimes than commit violent crimes. It is a lot easier to get caught too when the offender is using drugs. Their behavior gets them noticed. As I have mentioned many times this isn't "Reefer Madness" where a few puffs of a joint turns someone in to a rapist or homicidal maniac. The killers are either high as a kite during the killing or long term habitual drug users.

But keep in mind that just because someone went to jail for drugs does not mean they were not committing other crimes as well. Unless you prescribe to the leftist fantasy where someone who is high most of the time, has no money, and has a $100 a day drug problem is not committing crimes to buy drugs. Even you can't be that naïve.

Quote:
Doing more of what isn't working rarely changes failure into success.
I agree completely on that point.
Old September 18, 2019, 03:29 PM   #29
MTT TL

Quote:
Mental illness comes in many forms and levels, just take depression for one example. Then there are addictions which run from gambling to sex to just plain adrenaline junkies. Then we can add emotional disorders which too run the gamut. Finally add Mental disorder with an emotional disorder and you find a whole new can of worms.

Drug addiction is a separate issue by itself and again add any of the above and then what?

I cannot prove it but at the same time I partially blame the downfall of religion in society and the rise in secularism.
I don't want to get in to a religious debate but I will point out that when a religious leader gets in to trouble and caught committing crimes practically always there is an underlying substance abuse problem.
Old September 19, 2019, 03:01 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I don't want to get in to a religious debate but I will point out that when a religious leader gets in to trouble and caught committing crimes practically always there is an underlying substance abuse problem.
This reminds me of an old comedy bit where a guy says "I used to be all messed up on drugs, then I found the Lord! Now, I'm all messed up on the Lord!"

Its not impossible that when a religious person "goes bad" the substance being abused is their own faith.

Where is see "the downfall of religion in society and the rise in secularism" playing a part is the change in the level of belief in the surety of punishment.

What I mean is, in earlier times, where more people were more strongly religious, the promise of hell and eternal damnation was a much more "real" thing to them. I think that made a difference.

Today, its different. Today, with the focus on what happens now, where is the certainty of punishment? No criminal acts with the expectation of being caught, but when they are caught, what is the punishment?

At one time, we, as a nation, regularly executed people convicted of capital crimes. And didn't waste much time doing it. I think that most people knowing that was going to be the result, rather than knowing that it might just possibly maybe be the result was a credible deterrent. Certainly not for everyone, nothing is. Its not something there's any way to measure, but I think it was significant.

Sanctuary city?? Revolving door justice system?? Lack of morality?? Substance abuse?? They're all in the mix, along with lots of other things.

I think the ideal of "better a dozen guilty men go free than one innocent man go to jail" is a fine and noble sounding ideal. I'd be very much in favor of that, if I were the one innocent man. Come to think of it, I'd be very much in favor of that if I were a guilty man, too...

Downside, as I see it, is that seems to leave a lot of guilty men on our streets when they ought to be in prison.

There is a cost to safety, and it must be paid in many different kinds of coin. If you aren't willing to pay all of it, you won't get safety, only the illusion of it, if that.
Old September 19, 2019, 06:55 PM   #31
MTT TL

Quote:
At one time, we, as a nation, regularly executed people convicted of capital crimes. And didn't waste much time doing it.
These days mass shooters expect to die in the act. Some get cold feet but many kill themselves in the act as part of the plan. Other killers tend to show a blasé attitude towards life and death as well. Many don't seem to care until they are sitting on death row. It could be they simply don't understand the import of their actions. Death does not seem to be much of a deterrent.

Quote:
What I mean is, in earlier times, where more people were more strongly religious, the promise of hell and eternal damnation was a much more "real" thing to them. I think that made a difference.
Nope. The murder rate prior to 1930 was much higher than it is today. There was only a brief valley from the end of scarcity and prohibition in the 1930s until the rise of the drug culture in the 1960s where the murder rate lulled. Prior to 1930 the murder rate in the US was much higher than it is today. Unless, without any foundational evidence at all, you believe that people from 1933-1963 people were somehow morally superior to the people today I fail to see any relevance.