The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 10, 2019, 09:09 AM   #51
natman

Good news! The NRA has sued the SF Board of Supervisors.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/nra...on-gun-control

First, the accusation that the NRA is a terrorist organization is spectacularly untrue. Second, this is yet another example of the labeling that some seem to think is a substitute for rational debate. Since racist, sexist or homophobic aren't applicable, use terrorist.

Proving libel should be a slam dunk and the courts have traditionally taken a very dim view of viewpoint discrimination. I hope the NRA gets a nice big $ judgement, although just seeing the SF Board of Supervisors get smacked down would be satisfying enough.
Old September 10, 2019, 10:12 AM   #52
davidsog

Quote:
So now if you're a member of the NRA, you are a Domestic Terrorist.
That accusation is simply ludicrous and will not stick. However, you will begin to diminish members from joining. Those on the fence will now be subject to innuendo associated with extremist which may be the straw that keeps them from joining while existing members now have to face the choice of living with that innuendo or rejecting it. A defense against it will have to be established and just like in all humor, there is a grain of truth the same idea exist's. If you must defend against it, then some grain of truth must exist especially when that accusation comes from a base of power as a major city council.

Most of us won't reject the NRA because this political stunts patent ridiculousness. However, those membership list form a convent list of dissidents should that be needed by those in power in the future. It also gives a solid list of people to search for weapons should politicians like Beto's vision come true.

The idea that these steps must be done to protect the greater good of society is very powerful and historically responsible for some of the greatest loss of both freedom and life.

This is a move designed to start that cognitive shift. It is right out of Rules for Radicals.
Old September 10, 2019, 10:17 AM   #53
davidsog

If you think about it, the Holocaust began with just as ridiculous an accusation.....

An accusation of a worldwide conspiracy of those of Jewish decent.

This is the result of idea of emotional storytelling being more important than fact.

And it is more important if you do not care about the truth.
Old September 10, 2019, 04:59 PM   #54
DaleA

Quote:
Any of our legal beagles (you know who you are) care to weigh in on this?

Is it going to be slander, liable, defamation or all of the above? Will the NRA have to prove damages? Could they possibly get away with claiming that it's just their opinion?
Old September 10, 2019, 05:25 PM   #55
Bartholomew Roberts

Right now, I’d be more concerned about who NRA hired and whether the main goal is to redirect NRA money to a favored source or whether it is to grab some money from SF taxpayers for the stupidity of their leaders.

Luckily, those goals aren’t mutually exclusive.
Old September 10, 2019, 08:57 PM   #56
KyJim

Perhaps a link to the city's resolution is in one of the previous posts, but, in case it isn't, you can see the resolution here. The last page of the resolution contains the legally problematic language:
Quote:
FURTHER RESOLVED, That the City and County of San Francisco should take every reasonable step to assess the financial and contractual relationships our vendors and contractors have with this domestic terrorist organization; and, be it

FURTHER RESOLVED, That the City and County of San Francisco should take every reasonable step to limit those entities who do business with the City and County of San Francisco from doing business with this domestic terrorist organization; and be it

FURTHER RESOLVED, That the City and County of San Francisco should encourage all other jurisdictions, including other cities, states, and the federal government, to adopt similar positions
The first two paragraphs above call for blacklisting the NRA due to protected First Amendment rights. That is the core of the NRA complaint---various violations of the organization's First Amendment rights. A copy of the complaint can be found here.

As of right now, I can't see any economic damage to the NRA, though that could change later down the road. I am not versed well enough in this area of the law to know whether the alleged harm would be too speculative or if the resolution standing alone chills the NRA's rights to such an extent that the suit can be maintained. Certainly the directive to blacklist those doing business with the NRA seems compelling to me.

The lawsuit mentions a possible veto (within 10 days) by the mayor and I think the NRA is hoping to strong-arm a veto. I doubt if the mayor would do so because she is playing with house money.
Old September 10, 2019, 09:18 PM   #57
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
Right now, I’d be more concerned about who NRA hired and whether the main goal is to redirect NRA money to a favored source or whether it is to grab some money from SF taxpayers for the stupidity of their leaders.
I believe the Brewer law firm is handling the SF suit.
Jeepaholic
Old September 10, 2019, 09:40 PM   #58
zxcvbob

It looks like a Bill of Attainder to me.
Old September 10, 2019, 10:29 PM   #59
mehavey

Quote:
Bill of Attainder
Hmmmmmmm.....,
That would depend on what the perceived punishing action would be,
and a veeeeellly intellesting precedent if allowed to go forward.

Last edited by mehavey; September 10, 2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old September 11, 2019, 07:00 AM   #60
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
They gonna use this guy?
Quote:
NRA-ILA hires new counsel, who has no experience as a lobbyist, worked in the video game industry, and is being sued by his former employer for embezzlement.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/nr...ts-of-baggage/

"Tools not Trophies”
Old September 11, 2019, 12:33 PM   #61
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93
They gonna use this guy?
Quote:
NRA-ILA hires new counsel, who has no experience as a lobbyist, worked in the video game industry, and is being sued by his former employer for embezzlement.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/nr...ts-of-baggage/
The NRA-ILA is not the same entity, legally, as the NRA. The new guy was hired by the NRA-ILA.

At least one of the articles on the NRA's lawsuit against SF reported that the Brewer law firm is handling the suit.
Jeepaholic
Old October 10, 2019, 08:07 AM   #62
S&W-Keeper

This is strange, the City that hands out free needles to druggies,and allows,the people to use the streets as toilets.
Old October 10, 2019, 02:15 PM   #63
tipoc

Well S.F backed down. Declares that it won't blacklist NRA contractors.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2019...ra-contractors

https://reason.com/2019/09/06/san-fr...onstitutional/

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old October 10, 2019, 02:23 PM   #64
tipoc

L.A. also passed a similar resolution and the NRA also brought suit against L.A. That city then tried to have the NRA's case dismissed but...

Quote:
The NRA’s challenge to a similar ordinance in Los Angeles remains pending. Last month, the city’s motion to dismiss was denied in its entirety by federal district judge Stephen V. Wilson, who found that the NRA had stated a clear First Amendment claim.
tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old October 10, 2019, 02:42 PM   #65
JERRYS.

making them back down but walking away with empty pockets after being slandered across the nation (and further) is not much of a win.
Old October 10, 2019, 08:13 PM   #66
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The NRA does incite people to acts of violence.
I disagree. The NRA does not incite violence, they provide education on safety and the proper use of violence as a justified legal means of self defense.

Never heard them preach that its something you ought to do, only that if you choose to, this is how its best done.

To me, that's quite a bit different from inciting violence, or anything else.

If you think the NRA incites or advocates violence, or any crime, you're drinking the Kool-Aid of the anti gun bigots.
Old October 10, 2019, 10:13 PM   #67
mehavey

Quote:
The NRA does incite people to acts of violence
44, I saw that statement back on p1 of this thread, but took it to be satire.
(Of course the OP can correct me if in error)