The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 4, 2019, 05:11 AM   #1
wheeldawg

Traveling from Florida to California by air

I searched and found some information both here and on various other websites, but wanted to ask here hoping to get verification.

I plan to fly to California from Florida in about a week, and want to take a couple of handguns with me; my Kimber ultra Carry .45, and my Beretta Bobcat.

As I understand it, I can place them in the boxes they came in, secured with two master locks each (both boxes have two holes for this) and check my luggage with them in it, notifying the airline they are in there and filing out whatever forms they need/want.

I understand that should work going out and coming back, so I just wanted to verify.

Also, it is my understanding that based on CA law, I can keep the guns loaded in my hotel room, however, when transporting elsewhere while in that state, they will need to be unloaded and back in the locked boxes.

Can anyone verify this information for me, and is there any other words of wisdom, advice or cautionary procedures I should be aware of? I'll only be there for 5 days, so not a long trip, and if it is a big hassle, I could just not take them, but would prefer to take them along.

Also, if I decide to say, carry one of them with me concealed while there, what kind of trouble could I get into, especially if I had need to use it? I would not want to chance a felony or anything, but would prefer to carry anyway.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Old September 4, 2019, 10:41 AM   #2
USNRet93

Quote:
Also, if I decide to say, carry one of them with me concealed while there, what kind of trouble could I get into
Thanks in advance for any information.[/QUOTE]

Looks like you can't legally CCW there..
Quote:
California's gun laws apply to everyone within the state's borders, including nonresidents, but concealed-weapon permits from different states are not valid in in California. Anyone carrying a concealed gun in California without a state-sanctioned permit can face a large fine and prosecution under a likely felony charge.
Quote:
California Does Not Honor Any Other States Concealed Carry Permits

"Tools not Trophies”
Old September 4, 2019, 11:40 AM   #3
jmhyer

All of your statements are, generally correct. I don't see any inaccuracies. You may want to check the particular airline's website to see if they have any requirements over and above the federal regulations. Also take into consideration that you might have to layover unexpectedly in another city/state where the rules may be different...Chicago, for instance. Getting caught carrying concealed in California would be serious business.

handgunlaw.us is a great reference.

If it were me, for such a short trip where I can only have my gun(s) loaded in my hotel room anyway, I'd leave them at home.
Old September 4, 2019, 11:41 AM   #4
ammo.crafter

Why?

Go to the source and check with that state's attorney general and/or state police for best answer...and print same out for your wallet.

Personally, I would not bring any handguns into The Golden State.

Too much risk vs benefits.

I moved out of New Jersey for this reason after retirement.
Old September 4, 2019, 01:08 PM   #5
TrueBlue711

I was stationed in California fairly recently (was there from 2013-2017) and here are my thoughts:

As far as flights go, you should be fine as long as you follow TSA rules to the letter. It's not their job to uphold state gun laws but that's not to say they can't alert local authorities if they feel like what you're bringing is illegal in that state. I've flown plenty of times with firearms (including to/from Cali) and nobody bats an eye so long as you declare them and follow their easy procedures. Just expect to tack on some time, so hopefully you're not rushing for your flight.

As already mentioned, Cali ONLY recognizes Cali CCW permits; no reciprocity from other states. So legally, you can't conceal carry there. That being said, as much as we like to call Cali a freedom-hating state, they don't have metal detectors everywhere nor do they do random searches on random citizens to see if they have firearms. If you do decide to conceal carry, odds are nobody will find out. But should you come across the unfortunate situation where you had to use it, definitely expect the perp's family and the state to prosecute you. Even if you're the victim in a self defense situation, they will definitely use the fact you're conceal carrying without a Cali CCW against you.

Where in Cali are you going anyways? One of the cities? Personally, for such a short trip, I would just leave them at home. Unless you're visiting family who live in a neighborhood where crime happens every hour, you probably won't need them.
Old September 4, 2019, 09:11 PM   #6
wheeldawg

Thanks for the info and advice. I had about decided for the short duration of the trip, the benefits did not warrant the hassle, so I'll probably just leave them at home.

Thanks again everyone.
Old September 4, 2019, 09:14 PM   #7
wheeldawg

I am going to the Dana Point/San Clemente area, and no, there is not a lot of crime or anything there. At least there was not last time I was there. I stayed there before for about 3 months and all was good. Thanks
Old September 4, 2019, 09:24 PM   #8
FITASC

Quote:
Also, if I decide to say, carry one of them with me concealed while there, what kind of trouble could I get into
Felony jail and time in the CA penal system

You cannot carry in CA; if caught you WILL lose- everything.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 5, 2019, 10:55 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Thanks for the info and advice. I had about decided for the short duration of the trip, the benefits did not warrant the hassle, so I'll probably just leave them at home.
That's your best bet.
Breaking the law is known to cause California in the state of Cancer, and doesn't end well.