The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 6, 2019, 05:59 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Changing Savage 12 from 22-250 to 204 Ruger

204 Ruger has been the most enjoyable varmint round I have. Currently a Savage2fv with a Boyds laminate thumbhole stock is my latest and third rifle in this chambering. I also have a Savage 12 chambered in 22-250, but lately a terrible hankering for another 204 has been gnawing at my innards. So, Northland Shooters Supply was kind enought to ship me a spanking new Criterion varmint weight stainless barrel in 204 Ruger with an 11 twist. All I had to do was agree to let them charge my credit card about $330, and it came to my door. Also Numrichs sent me a 223 size bolt head.

Today I changed the bolt head. A video on YouTube showed how to do it. My bolt was configured a bit differently, but it went pretty well. The bolt had probably never been disassembled and cleaned, and it took some time a elbow grease to get most of the accumulation of crud removed. Wiped everything with a lightly oiled rag, and when installed in the rifle it works. The firing pin protrudes, the extractor claw is good to go, etc.

Tomorrow is barrel replacement day, then make some test loads and head for the firing range during the week. Pictures of targets will be provided, unless the groups look like birdshot was the ammo. Projects like this are a nice activity for old worn out geezers.
Old July 7, 2019, 10:18 AM   #2
F. Guffey

Quote:
All I had to do was agree to let them charge my credit card about $330,
I left the house, I went to a gun parts store and came home with 5 barrels, one was new/free with an 03 bolt that was opened up to 338 Mag. 2 of the other barrels were 308 W, the other two were 8MM.

4 barrels, 2 for $25 each, 2 for $50 each and one for free. And now I can only hope I live long enough to install them.

F. Guffey
Old July 7, 2019, 08:34 PM   #3
Colorado Redneck

Thats quite a haul, Guffy! Do you have the actions etc for all of those tubes?
Old July 8, 2019, 09:47 AM   #4
F. Guffey

Quote:
Thats quite a haul, Guffy! Do you have the actions etc for all of those tubes?
Yes, I have a few M1917s with three P14s and then there are the Mausers. I have at least 12 Mauser actions, Most are 98s with a few large ring/small shank actions.

The 5 barrels are all new heavy barrels, the type that shoot one hole groups.

F. Guffey
Old July 11, 2019, 10:36 AM   #5
F. Guffey

Colorado Redneck, Checking progress, I was wondering how you were going to adjust the barrel for clearance.

F. Guffey

Old geezers and quitting: forgot, I have a doctors appointment this afternoon. I have been taking my blood pressure and heart rate for a while and then? suddenly? My heart starts beating so slow the beat will not register. And then I got it up to 45 beats per minute.

My wife googled heart beat and came up with 45 beats a minute is Ok for athletes in great shape. I am no longer consider an athlete or in great shape. I have too many projects to finish.

I hope they can 'bump' up the beat to about 65 +/- a few. Forgot, the top does not work.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; July 11, 2019 at 06:12 PM. Reason: change m to p
Old July 11, 2019, 09:52 PM   #6
Colorado Redneck

Hope you get your heart figured out. As we age, different issues come up and eventually something gets each of us. Till then, keep having fun.

I am always reading various shooting forums, and several threads discussed using cartridge brass as a go/no go gauge. Well, since I will have two rifles both chambered the same, I tried getting the barrel set using the longest resized brass on hand as the go gauge, and putting a piece of tape on the case head and using that for no-go gauge. I worked at getting the headspace just the way I wanted for mabe half an hour. New rounds chambered easily, and all my handloads chambered too. Took it to the range, along with my calipers and the Hornady adapter to measeure before and after case length, to determine if there is too much space that would result in stretching the brass. Really happy to say, the factory rounds only gained 0.001 inches when fired.

Range results were good. The load I have been shooting in the other Savage (39 Blitzking over 24.5 gr. Benchmark) shot 3 rounds in one little hole. I tried several other loads with various components mostly shot good. So far, seems to be what I want.

Thanks for checking up. Now get to the doc! You have a bunch of barrels to get installed.

Last edited by Colorado Redneck; July 11, 2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old July 12, 2019, 10:55 AM   #7
F. Guffey

Back from the doctor: He has a plan, when he started with "typical" it sounded simple, and then one of those 'and then' moments. I got my own category, he seemed to think that complicated matters.

Quote:
I am always reading various shooting forums, and several threads discussed using cartridge brass as a go/no go gauge. Well, since I will have two rifles both chambered the same, I tried getting the barrel set using the longest resized brass on hand as the go gauge, and putting a piece of tape on the case head and using that for no-go gauge.
I have suggestions; problem, my suggestions have a history of setting reloaders off. It has nothing to do with me having more important things to do but there are things I must get done 'soon'.

I am sorting through 90 +/- a few micrometers to sell on Craigslist, sorting is one thing and posting is another. I am convinced I will never get caught up. And then there are dial indicators.

F. Guffey
Old July 12, 2019, 01:24 PM   #8
Colorado Redneck

Follow the medical professionals advice

They know more than given credit for. Good luck!
Old July 14, 2019, 10:37 AM   #9
F. Guffey

Quote:
Follow the medical professionals advice
I listened, we came to an agreement and then the 'and then' moment; this morning I received recovery instructions. Pick up nothing heavier than a gallon milk jug for months, arm in a sling for 2 months etc. It is too late to get into a hurry now.

I have had two friends that reloaded and smith-ed with one arm, rather than complain they became creative.

F. Guffey
Old July 14, 2019, 08:14 PM   #10
Colorado Redneck

Good plan. Keep at it.