The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 14, 2021, 07:32 AM   #1
Brutus

What's happening with Marlin?

Haven't seen anything new from Ruger, what gives?
Old August 14, 2021, 10:33 AM   #2
LeverGunFan

Last I read was that they were shooting for a winter introduction of the Ruger built Marlin rifles. If you haven't already, you can sign up for Marlin updates at this link.
Old August 14, 2021, 03:19 PM   #3
Scorch

I received an announcement from Ruger about 4-5 months ago. They said they are evaluating the machinery they got in the sale, planning on how to put them into a facility, and planning on re-introducing the 39A, 336, 1894, and 1895 when they get back in operation. Bolt action rimfires may follow at some future time. The 60 is dead at this point (but Magtech is making a clone if you just gotta have one). Their target date for rifles being on the market was 2024 IIRC.
Old August 15, 2021, 08:44 AM   #4
JustJake

Well, I'm jest hoping the new lever-action Ruglins will be built with a much higher level of Q.C. than the Remlins were.
Old August 15, 2021, 09:15 AM   #5
tazbigdog

Marlin has been sending out news and videos on their move. Taking all the equipment, setting it up, and getting ready for production.

8/7/2021 video
https://www.instagram.com/p/CSXcTmFLqOq/
Old August 15, 2021, 02:21 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Well, I'm jest hoping the new lever-action Ruglins will be built with a much higher level of Q.C. than the Remlins were.
Remington really screwed Marlins up for a few years. That is absolutely true. But after they figured out what the market was *not* going to tolerate, things were fine.

With all the hatred for Remington (from me as well), people tend to forget that Marlin had its own problems, and had periods of time with terrible quality.
The 2014+ Remlins were on par with average Marlin quality. There were just some different processes used to produce some of the parts - like the laser checkered stocks, and that gawdawful barcode on the side of the receiver.

It wasn't all Remington, either.
I've had discussions with several people involved in the nightmare under Freedom Group.
The guys in charge of Marlin really wanted to improve the products, but were held back by the umbrella group's push for maximum profit. Remington was the wall where the requests were denied, but they wanted to improve Marlin and Remington quality, as well. The denials came from the top.

For example, the rear barrel band screws on 336s had bad heat treating and were brittle. Marlin knew about this. Remington knew about this, because it effected some screws on Remington products. It took three years to get the request for a different heat treat process approved for Marlin, because it had a trickle down effect that changed the process for 336 and 1895 tip cap screws, as well. That trickle-down effect meant an increased production cost of a few cents per rifle.

A few cents. It took three years to approve a change in heat treating, because it cost a few cents per rifle.

Bankruptcy was always the way it was going to end for Remington and Marlin (and subordinates), once Freedom/Cerberus bought them. That was always the way it would end.
But the people in charge of the brands and model lines were fighting to be able to put out better products.
Old August 17, 2021, 07:49 AM   #7
Seedy Character

When bean counters rule
Old August 18, 2021, 01:14 AM   #8
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
I received an announcement from Ruger about 4-5 months ago. They said they are evaluating the machinery they got in the sale, planning on how to put them into a facility, and planning on re-introducing the 39A, 336, 1894, and 1895 when they get back in operation. Bolt action rimfires may follow at some future time. The 60 is dead at this point (but Magtech is making a clone if you just gotta have one). Their target date for rifles being on the market was 2024 IIRC.
The two rifles I knew Ruger were not going to do when they bought Marlin were the 60 and the XT-22 for the reason that Ruger already makes a semi auto and bolt action .22 rifle. There are plenty of used and better made Model 60s if one really wants to be an owner of one.

Besides, Ruger bought Marlin because they wanted to get into the lever action market, which is increasingly dominated by Henry and Rossi due to affordable price.
Old August 18, 2021, 01:10 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

I am sorry, but I think your argument is completely nonsensical. I see it all the time.
"Ruger already makes the 10-22 and 77/22, so they don't care about the Marlin model 60 or XTs."

They are different designs.
They fit different niches.
They have different price points.
They have their own markets.

10-22 is a detachable magazine rifle, generally in the low mid-range market.
Model 60 is a tubular magazine rifle, generally in the 'budget' market.

77/22 is a detachable rotary magazine rifle, generally in the high mid-range market.
XT-22 is a detachable box magazine rifle, solidly in the 'budget' category.

The 77/22 is not a popular rifle. They are considered quite expensive for a bolt action .22, by the majority of shoppers. The 77/22 is more of a niche product than mass market.
The XT-22, however, was very popular. Almost as popular as the Model 60 (which usually outsold the 10-22, because of price point). The XT-22 is a very simple design that is easy to produce and was still profitable with a $200 price tag, while a $200 77/22 is an incomplete pile of rusty parts - because it is more complicated and much more expensive to produce.

There is room in the market for ALL of them to be sold side by side.
Because they do, after all, fit in different markets.

To me, "Ruger doesn't want to make the Model 60, because they make the 10-22," is like saying, "Springfield Armory doesn't want to make Hi-Powers, because they already make 1911s."
From a very distant vantage point, they look the same and do the same thing. 'Handgun. Bang. Bang.' But anyone that knows what those designs are will instantly recognize why there is room in the market for both of them.
Old August 18, 2021, 02:27 PM   #10
LeverGunFan

I don't have any inside scoop on Ruger's plans, but I do know that the 77/22 rimfire has been out of production for a few years now, it was discontinued shortly after the Ruger American rimfire was introduced. There is a 77/22 Hornet and two 17 caliber rimfires, but not the 22LR.
Old August 18, 2021, 04:12 PM   #11
gaseousclay

If you're on instagram check out https://www.instagram.com/marlinfirearmsofficial/?hl=en

They've been posting regular factory progress pics. Things are rolling
Old August 18, 2021, 05:41 PM   #12
stuckinthe60s

all fine and dandy, but its all moot points w/o ammo.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old August 18, 2021, 07:00 PM   #13
FITASC

Ammo is readily available, but not at prices you saw 2 years ago
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 19, 2021, 02:28 PM   #14
Scorch

Quote:
"Springfield Armory doesn't want to make Hi-Powers, because they already make 1911s."
Except Springfield doesn't make 1911s, they are made in Brazil and imported by Springfield. But I agree on your description of niche markets
Old August 19, 2021, 02:46 PM   #15
zincwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedy Character View Post
When bean counters rule
They aren't in business to make sense, but to make dollars.
Old August 19, 2021, 06:53 PM   #16
Seedy Character

Cutting cost or going cheap doesn't always make sense.

The bean counters thought Henry's were a bad idea
Old August 22, 2021, 03:36 PM   #17
Pathfinder45

Who knows? Maybe we will see the 10-22 get microgroove rifling.... or a version of the model 60 that utilizes a 10-22 magazine.... A 795 with a Walnut stock would be a good thing...Let's all hope for good surprises.
Old October 21, 2021, 01:20 PM   #18
gaseousclay

Quote:
The moment you've been waiting for is finally here... We are proud to share with you the very first production-built Marlin Model 1895™! Congratulations to the entire Marlin team in our Mayodan, NC facility on this major milestone. Stay tuned for the official release of these production rifles later this year!
From their Instagram
Old October 23, 2021, 05:04 PM   #19
Seedy Character

The Marlin levers are coming back. Greatest news, will have Ruger barrels and rifling. No more micro-groove.
Old October 23, 2021, 05:21 PM   #20
stagpanther

Wow! Those Ruger folks are no dummies.
Old October 24, 2021, 11:24 PM   #21
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder45 View Post
Who knows? Maybe we will see the 10-22 get microgroove rifling.... or a version of the model 60 that utilizes a 10-22 magazine.... A 795 with a Walnut stock would be a good thing...Let's all hope for good surprises.
No microgroove rifling in these first Ruger Marlin rifles. Kind of expected that would happen, maybe Ruger will bring it back for a distributor exclusive, but otherwise I think microgroove rifling...

Old October 25, 2021, 03:31 AM   #22
BCR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Except Springfield doesn't make 1911s, they are made in Brazil and imported by Springfield. But I agree on your description of niche markets
Just the raw castings or the complete pistol?

Bill
Old October 25, 2021, 10:30 PM   #23
Jim Watson

Springfield has been out of Brazil for some years now. They say "Made in USA" but that might be a bit elastic on rough forging procurement.
Old October 26, 2021, 02:31 AM   #24
BCR1

I meant to say forging, but still good to know.

Bill
Old October 26, 2021, 11:12 AM   #25
FrankenMauser

Quote:
They say "Made in USA" but that might be a bit elastic on rough forging procurement.
All they have to do is one finishing operation and some assembly.
*Poof*
Goes from 'made in 16 different countries outside of the US' to "Made in USA".