The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 24, 2008, 04:10 PM   #1
cptmclark

Anybody test this new slug?

PremierĀ® AccuTip Bonded Sabot Slug
"More accurate, tiny groups, etc, etc" Seems I've heard that before but hope springs eternal. I'd love to find a streamlined lighter bullet that would shoot accurately in the old slug gun, and give me the 200 yards I need to reach out and touch this particular buck that torments me, but very expensive to do proper testing. Would anybody who shot these please advise how they grouped. many thanks.
The only "accurate" (less than 2moa) unit in my rifled 870 so far is a lightfield (546 grains at 1730 fps). I do not like shooting this from a bench, and I doubt that the recoil improves my shooting at game. It is a bruiser at 3628 claimed ft pounds of energy. Blunt and slows fast. Oh, for those interested, my slow twist remington barrel keeps average groups of the lightfield 3" inside 2 moa to 100 yards. Holes are a bit oval, go figure. Maybe the limit of accurate range? Another guess is that with the long plastic wad dragging along it just keeps righting itself. My gun has hated everything else. Anyhow, still looking for the efficient sabot slug the Hornady SST would have been if it would have shot well for me.
Old March 24, 2008, 07:40 PM   #2
mikenbarb

Try the new Winchester XP3 shotgun slug. I havnt shot them yet but I hear their great. My 1100 loves the Hornady slugs and puts them out to 150 with no problem with accuracy.
Old March 26, 2008, 11:09 AM   #3
okiewita40

You may even want to take a look at some of the Dixie slugs offerings. Also take a peek at Hastings and see what they have to offer.
Old March 27, 2008, 05:12 AM   #4
predator86

yeah and how much does this cost????

and is this going to cost 12 bucks for a box of 5 like the other sabot slugs??? im fine with my regular lead slugs out to 120 yards, 150 if i stretch it.....no thanks man...ammo is expensive enough...
Old March 29, 2008, 07:39 AM   #5
mikenbarb

Winchester is around 20.00 per box and Hornady is around 10.00 per box. Just think of what some people spend on waterfowl or turkey ammo. I guess I would shoot whatever shoots the best out of my gun for deer no matter what the cost. People spend thousands of dollars on hunting trips and its funny that some wont spend the extra money for good ammo. My thought is that we owe it to the game we pursue to shoot the most accurate ammo we can afford. Im sure some cheap ammo shoots good but quality comes with a little higher price. And I have never seen a regular lead slug shoot well over 100 yds. (4" or less) and wouldnt even think about it at 150. If you do, then you have a combo I have never seen in my 28 years of slug hunting. This is why they came up with rifled slug barrels and sabot ammo. Because regular slugs and smooth bore barrels couldnt do it.
Old April 25, 2008, 05:55 PM   #6
cptmclark

Well, I guess nobody actually tested them. Maybe I'm the only one dumb enough to spend an afternoon searching for the most accurate effective slug. Accuracy in itself is a hobby you know
I thought I had a miracle combo when my old smooth 20 inch 870 fell in love with Fed truballs. 1 3/4 largest group at 50 yards. That is many groups. At 100 though, it will not stay within the 4 inches mentioned, or five consistently for that matter. Please tell what gun and load combination is giving that accuracy at and beyond 100 yards. My 1 oz standard Foster type slugs are v e r r y slow by 100 yards, and dropping like rocks.
If i find some of the new win sabots I'll try five in my rifled barrel and report. I was really hoping I wasn't the only one who does that
Old April 25, 2008, 06:08 PM   #7
mikenbarb

I have shot these after your original posting and didnt have good luck with them over 150. I have tried about every sabot slug on the market and found that Hornady SST shoots the best out of my slug gun for longer ranges. Second is copper solids and third was the Buckhammer slugs. Buckhammers are incredibly accurate out to 150 but after that their iffy. You should be able to get the Hornady for about $11.00 per box and their worth every bit. The ballistics are @ Muzzle 2000 fps. Sighted in 2.7" high@100 yds its dead on @150yds and drops only 6.7"@200yds. I love them and the recoil isnt that bad either.
Old April 25, 2008, 06:21 PM   #8
cptmclark

mikenbarb
What gun and barrel are you having such good luck with? My rifled 870 will not shoot SSTs inside four inches at 100yards. When you say good groups out to 150 yards, what size group are you talking about? I think the buckhammer is the same as the Lightfield I use, but a tad slower. I've not bench shot the Lightfield beyond 100 cause I don't have a place to do it. Often slower is better, but this fast 500+ grainer is an exception, in this one gun. Wish it wasn't so fat and flatnosed. A friends 870 also will not group anything but Federal Barnes 2 3/4, which it shoots very well. Very expensive and sometimes painful (if you get your eyebrow a bit close) to test these things, but heck, if you crave the best you have to pay the price.
On another note, theres this new 3 1/2 inch 20 gauge slug.................
Old April 25, 2008, 08:12 PM   #9
mikenbarb

Slug gun

I have 2 setups for slug hunting only. 1st is a 1990 Remington 1100 with a rifled cantilever badger barrel topped off with a Nikon Monarch BDC 3-10X44 the barrel has had a little work done to it but otherwise the guns stock. The 2nd is a 1998 Savage 210F bolt action slug gun with a floated factory barrel and Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 BDC and it shoots the worst of the 2. The Remington is averaging 6" groups @150 and around 9+-"@ 200yds. The Savage shoots 4"@100 yds and has shot 3" at best. At 200 yds its around 10"+ so I keep it within the 150' that the gun likes. I think the Remington will group better but the guy behind the trigger cant. Some day im gonna strap it into a lead sled and see what she can realy do. And like I said before, I have tried almost every slug on the market and it gets a little expensive having slugs sitting around that wont group well. And yes there is a 3 1/2" 20ga called the Open field hunter and their worthless after 150yds. They did a test in one of the magazines.
Old April 26, 2008, 10:40 AM   #10
cptmclark

"1100 with a rifled cantilever badger barrel topped off with a Nikon Monarch BDC 3-10X44 the barrel has had a little work done to it " Tell me about the "badger" barrel, and the work done on it.
Old April 26, 2008, 07:27 PM   #11
mikenbarb

It was internally polished and broken in by hand lapping. The crown was also redone and the gas ports were deburred and polished. Not that there were burrs but the gunsmith did it so he could polish. The gun had minor work done to the bolt and thats about it. The barrel work cost me 235.00 and any good gunsmith could do it. My next slug gun is a Tar Hunt. Waiting for my Uncle Sam check then im gonna order.
Old April 26, 2008, 07:31 PM   #12
mikenbarb

Also, I think Cabela's carries the Badger barrels now. Their only for use with high speed sabots and not recomended for lower velocity ones. Not saying it wont shoot them but it likes fast slugs with the 1:26 twist it has compared to the standard 1:36 twist for factory barrels.
Old November 1, 2008, 01:53 AM   #13
AlazyS

Accutips

Hi, I just finished a pile of slug shooting and testing. I used The Rem Accutips, Barnes Expander Polymer tipped, Hornady SST and Winchester XP3.

The rifle I was using is a Browning A Bolt 12 gauge. This shotgun likes ALL ammo, but especially liked these new Remingtons. Thier claims of the best and biggest on the market are true. the Federals and Hornady's printed very nice groups as usual. The Winchesters are hit and miss, these guys better get off the couch and catch up.

The Remington Accutips printed very tight groups at 100 yards. I am moving it out to 150 and 200 later this week. Honestly, I will use the rest of the ammo, or sell some off. I will be buying cases of the Rem Accutips.
There was simply no question on who was better in groups and consistency.

I have other slug guns I will be testing all the ammo in. They are Marlin 512, Mossberg 695, Savage 210F and a Tar Hunt. I will post again with more results and target pics soon.

AlazyS
Old November 9, 2008, 07:34 PM   #14
shantz

Remington accutips Excellent slug

this afternoon i tested shot the Remington Accu tips and some Hornady sst's out of my Mossberg 695 with a Nikon 3X9 prostaff scope. shot about 40 plus rounds today. Both rounds were 2 3/4"
This 695 is stock with no mods or trigger work on it. Those of you familiar with the 695 probably kniow that if the trigger was smoother it would tighten the groups considerably.
Sighting in at 50 yards after boresighting I was dead on. I first shot the SSt's and they are heavy in recoil and consistently had flyers with the SSTs. Got them sighted in 2' high at 50 yards and then shot the Accutips . What I immediatley noticed was that I was on the X on the first shot.
I then moved to 100yd and the Accutips proved the most consistent out of my gun AND with less recoil than the SST's. I sighted the Accutips 2" high at 100yds. I noticed that the SSt's printed 4.5" inches high at 100yds. I will probably back off one inch and beable to confidently use both slugs.
When I get some time I will take both rounds out and see what they do at 150yd and 200yds.
This weekend I hope to try them on some deer. This round might just have saved my 695 from being sold.
Overall the Accutips provided the best groups and with less recoil than the Hornadys. I will be buying Accutips exclusively after the SST's are gone from my stash.
Old November 10, 2008, 10:23 AM   #15
cptmclark

More info?

Would you guys divulge the twist rates on your guns that like the Remington Ammo? My Rem 870 has a very slow twist, 36" I think. In my rifles, slow twist likes light bulles, but so far my most consistent ammo has been the Lightfield 3" Elite. That little number shoots a 1 1/4 oz slug at 1750 fps, and the recoil and muzzle blast are brutal. Thats way overkill at close range but has enough left farther out. I'd much rather use a lighter bullet on deer size critters, but so far the shoulder busters are the best, with about 2 inch groups at 100 yards. Would you also tell about your group sizes at the ranges you mention? This is an expensive proposition, load testing these slugs. In other guns I was never able to do better than the Federal Barnes 1 oz Expander 2 3/4 slug.
Old November 10, 2008, 10:33 AM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Try the new Winchester XP3 shotgun slug. I havnt shot them yet but I hear their great. My 1100 loves the Hornady slugs and puts them out to 150 with no problem with accuracy.
Not in my gun...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=314816

I continue to shoot the Rem Core-Lokt Ultra. They perform exceptionally well in my gun and the ballistics are beyond compare. The accutips are tempting but the ballistics are quite poor relative to the core-lokts.
Old November 10, 2008, 10:07 PM   #17
shantz

Cptm- I am not sure what the rifle twist is in my Mossberg 695.
I do know I tried to shoot both loads from my 1187P with a rifle choke tube and it keyholed every round. disappointed to say the least. the 1187P will be my buckshot gun as the micro Aimpoint I added will be super fast for those running deer being pushed by the hounds. Gun season here starts saturday.
Looking to do some live testing and will report back on the Accutips effectiveness
Regarding group size from testing my Horndays were averaging around an inch at 50 yards and about 2 to 3 " at 100. Granted that was due to the shooter and feeling the effects of some 20 plus slugs before shooting at 100.
Accu tips wereclose to half the group size of the SST's. will post target pics from next range session
However I am not too stuck on group size for slugs and am pleased with 2" groups at 100yds which puts meat in the freezer every time