The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 11, 2018, 03:08 PM   #1
M1aDAV

Inland M1 carbine is it kosher?

Bought this in the late 70's, with out a stock. Picked up an after market stock at the Pomona Fair Grounds Great Western Gun Show. then she became a safe queen. can anyone tell me more about her?

Inland SN. 5460xxx barrel date 8-44 Inland Div. GM.
I cant find any re-arsenal marks, nor any Import marks, barrel band has a triangle, hammer and sear "W", trigger group "Q-NL", rear site I.R.CO.7160060, front site "N", Bolt "40S".

Just wondering if it's worth the effort to find a correct stock and hand guard for her?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FR2.jpg (200.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg BD FS2.jpg (98.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg sn2.jpg (193.9 KB, 31 views)
Old June 12, 2018, 09:47 AM   #2
hdwhit

Quote:
Inland M1 carbine is it kosher?
It will all depend on whether you do the work under the supervision of a rabbi.

Seriously, I'm way too out of date on M1 Carbine to offer anything substantive. I'll have to join you in seeing what others that know the subject better have to say.
Old June 12, 2018, 10:58 AM   #3
e-bear

I used to have an M1. Wish I still did..
There is a plethora of info online and here is a good start....
hope this helps

http://https://www.inland-mfg.com/In...s/M1-1944.html
Old June 12, 2018, 11:03 AM   #4
e-bear

http://www.inland-mfg.com/Inland-Carbines/M1-1944.html[/URL]
Old June 12, 2018, 11:25 AM   #5
RickB

It has a mish-mash of features.
Push-button safety and barrel band without bayonet lug are early features, while the adjustable rear sight is late.
Does it have a round bolt, or is the top of the bolt flattened?

I'd expect any Carbine that went through an arsenal rebuild to have all "late" features, so a gun that still has early features, or which has been "restored" with early features, might be suspect as to authenticity or originality, but it could still be a good shooter.
Old June 12, 2018, 01:21 PM   #6
M1aDAV

ebear - URL didn't work.
RickB - I think I put the rear site on it? not knowing what was supposed to be.
hdwhit - the Rabbi refused help.
I did find this site.
http://uscarbinecal30m1.com/Parts/Pa...spx?mfg=Inland

Thanks for every ones input.
Old June 12, 2018, 01:43 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Rummage around here. That one has been refinished and S/N 5,460... is a Winchester range though. Duplicated S/N's are known to have happened though.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/
Anybody who tells you a Carbine is "all matching" is lying. None of the manufacturers made all the parts. Inland, for example, only made 9 of 'em.
Oh and it has a stock. Go shooting. Carbines are great fun.
Old June 12, 2018, 03:02 PM   #8
RickB

Quote:
Anybody who tells you a Carbine is "all matching" is lying. None of the manufacturers made all the parts. Inland, for example, only made 9 of 'em.
Not necessarily matching the maker of the receiver, but there are parts guides that claim to show which maker's parts are supposed to have been original to a given gun; they "match" the guide.

I have a Quality Hardware Carbine, and though they were considered one of the prime contractors, the receiver was apparently the only part they actually made.