The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 23, 2022, 09:42 AM   #1
Siggy-06

What is your do it all pistol?

Does anyone have a particular pistol that they use for a concealed carry, as well as a main home defense gun? I know most of us on the forum here have multiple options when it comes to certain roles. If you had to pick a certain pistol from your collection to do everything, what would it be?

Currently I would say my Glock 48 or Sig P320 X Compact could fill ccw and home defense pretty solidly, and still be comfortable.
Old July 23, 2022, 12:50 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Anything Glock 19 sized. I don’t shoot pistols larger than that dramatically better and although it’s easier to carry smaller pistols I’m used to carrying pistols of that size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 23, 2022, 01:53 PM   #3
tangolima

Glock 23, with 3 different conversion barrels; 9mm, 357 sig, 22TCM.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old July 23, 2022, 02:13 PM   #4
tlm225

It would be a close toss up between my Shield Plus and Glock 48.
Old July 23, 2022, 02:22 PM   #5
bamaranger

"do all" handgun

I think the OP has asked three separate questions:
-what is your main home defense gun
-is that firearm your concealed carry gun
-what would be your single do all handgun

Three separate answers for me. My main home defense guns are shoulder weapons/long guns. For concealed carry, I find myself toting a Glock 17 more than anything. Just one......interestingly, what I would choose is something I don't own anymore, a K-frame, 4" .357. The wide range of ammo across the power spectrum , both mags and .38 spl, wins the "only one" argument hands down.

I don't own a K-frame anymore, because I have other revolvers/handguns that fill specific uses much better than the general purpose K-frame magnum. A .44 mag produces more than ample power for anything I want to hunt with a handgun. An assortment of .22lr handguns allow for plinking.
Service size auto pistols in accepted self defense calibers allow for concealed carry.

In a pinch, a 4" K-frame will do all those things, but thankfully, we still have choices.
Old July 23, 2022, 02:23 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
If you had to pick a certain pistol from your collection to do everything, what would it be?
How do you define "everything"????

You mention CCW and "main home defense", but what about the rest of "everything"??

To me that includes hunting small AND large game, informal recreational shooting, and other things. CCW and home defense are on my list, but aren't the only things on it, and in my personal situation, are not very high priorities.

I've got handguns ranging from .22LR to .45-70, single shots, revolvers and semi autos. Each one does something better than the others do, which is why I have different ones.

I don't play golf, but I understand why there is more than one club in the golf bag.
Old July 23, 2022, 03:29 PM   #7
jar

Whatever I happen to have on me at the moment.
Old July 23, 2022, 04:13 PM   #8
Electrod47

I have a ton of options to pick from my arsenal. The one that is on the night stand every night
year in year out. The one that when I feel something besides one of my "pocket poppers" is required when going to town.
SIG 228 in 9MM made in Germany and purchased in the mid-90's for the highest price up til then I ever spent on a firearm. And, has proved its worth time and again.
Old July 23, 2022, 06:35 PM   #9
Shadow9mm

No. I have, in the past, had a p226 and a 1911 that, at one point, filled both roles due to circumstances.

The p226 was my first handgun, thus being my only handgun, it filled both roles.

The 1911 was the only gun i had left after a burglary, again being my only handgun, it filled both roles.

With that said, if possible i prefer to have a sub compact 9mm for every day carry, think p365, hellcat, shield, 43x.

And a compact or full sized gun for home defense (if not a rifle), think g19 or g17 size, with a light and magazine that holds approximately 20rnds.
Old July 23, 2022, 07:56 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy-06
Does anyone have a particular pistol that they use for a concealed carry, as well as a main home defense gun?
Nope.

Carry: Colt Lightweight Officers ACP

Home Defense: Para-Ordnance P13.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger
-what would be your single do all handgun
Colt Combat Commander
Jeepaholic
Old July 23, 2022, 09:21 PM   #11
mk70ss

CZ 75 COMPACT. Great carry gun, fun range gun, nightstand gun. Will last forever and is accurate as hell.
Old July 23, 2022, 11:55 PM   #12
rc

If I had 1 "do all" pistol it might have to be a 357 with 4 inch barrel.
Old July 24, 2022, 02:40 AM   #13
HiBC

I just don't put myself in that position.
Was a time when financial difficulties had me down to my 5 inch 44 Magnum Ruger Super Black Hawk.
Not by any stretch am I going to tell you that is an ultimate ,or even a good, SD handgun. Its not. But when it was my only gun and we had wheel weights by the 5 gal bucket,
I may have been a little slower than Matt Dillon or Paladin, but a draw ,fire,and hit a watermelon at 15 feet quicker than one second is an honest claim. A quick hit with a 44 Mag makes mag capacity not such a big deal.
I practicd hundreds,likely thousands of rounds hitting a 10 inch steel dinger every time at 50 yds,as fast as I could thumb the wheel.

Supported? 100 yds? Someplace between 6 and 8 inches. Those are not ridiculous claims. Plenty of other folks here can match or beat them.

Cast bullets and straight wall cases make handoading ammo easy. Brass does not get lost and it loads 12? 15? 20? times?

I killed an elk with it. It always worked. I know,talk is cheap,but I like to think if it was all I had and I was faced with Uvalde, I might fail. I might get killed. But my .44 would be enough gun . First hit counts the most.

The other thing is the SBH is just fun to shoot.

All that said, my Shield Plus is great for being able to have it on me. What else matters? First rule of gunfighting "Have a Gun"

I've found a holster/carry method that works for me.

With my Milt Sparks Summer Special and my 1911, I'm armed.

These days? Life being what it is,probably the Shield Plus.`
Old July 24, 2022, 11:16 AM   #14
Rob228

It was a Glock 19 for about 9 years, recently upgraded to a Shadow Systems MR920L.
Old July 24, 2022, 11:41 AM   #15
velocette

MK70ss is a wise gentleman

He thinks like I do.
My carry pistol, home defense pistol and the one I use in my clubs PPC competition is a
CZ 75D PCR. Fairly light weight (28 oz empty) 3.8" barrel & fairly thin for a double stack pistol. Stone cold reliable and more accurate than I am. Certainly not the best in any area, (target pistol, deep concealment pistol, etc, but it is very good in the areas that matter.)
I have many other pistols & revolvers but the CZ is the go to one for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1592.JPG (71.7 KB, 149 views)
Old July 24, 2022, 12:20 PM   #16
CDW4ME

The pistol I'm carrying is the one that is going to be used for HD; when I put my cargo shorts on a holstered Glock goes on belt.
If I'm wearing shorts, I'm carrying a Glock on belt, all day, everywhere or going nowhere.
Glock 17 or 22 - either would work.
However, since I put RDS on my MOS Glock 34 and 35 I've been carrying one of those ... In the FL heat and despite being in a "good area".
Old July 24, 2022, 02:02 PM   #17
kymasabe

My do-all is neither my home defense gun or my EDC gun. If I had to use just one, I'd dig my old .38 special S&W 36 out of the safe.
Old July 24, 2022, 05:06 PM   #18
rodfac

Picking just one...tough but at this point it'd be a Sig RCS .45 with an extra .22 LR upper. Alloy frame, Novak sights, superb accuracy and absolute reliability and with a .22 upper for fun and cheap (relatively cheap), plinking and practice. 'Bout does it all for me, here in the lower 48. YMMv of course, Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old July 24, 2022, 10:37 PM   #19
Pistoler0

My "do it all" pistol.

Glock 21 with:

- extra heavy recoil spring and after market KKM barrel so it can fire 45 super (same ft-lbs as hot loaded 10mm) and thus is legal for hunting in CO (job 1) and powerful enough for big bear defense (job 2).

- chopped grip so it accepts 9rd magazines and is concealable.

- thumb safety and Striker Control Device so it can serve CCW appendix carry duty (job 3). Holstering with thumb on the SCD is similar to holding the hammer down on a DA/SA, and prevents trigger from moving.

- +2 mag extension allows for 15 rds (CO maximum) and serves home defense duty (job 4)

Being .45 ACP, about the only thing it is not good for is cheap practice : /

Behold:

Last edited by Pistoler0; July 25, 2022 at 08:17 AM.
Old July 25, 2022, 01:52 AM   #20
armoredman

CZ P-10C, CCW and nightstand gun.
Old July 25, 2022, 08:27 AM   #21
ammo.crafter

CCW/HD

Browning Hi Power
Old July 25, 2022, 10:54 AM   #22
Bob Willman

Apparently being more financially restrained than most folks here, my Springfield XDs .45 purchased 7 or 8 years ago is it. I do have guns for hunting kept in the safe, but if they become necessary for home defense the situation has become a very serious.

NRA Benefactor Golden Eagle
Old July 25, 2022, 11:57 AM   #23
jdc1244

Quote:
CZ 75 COMPACT. Great carry gun, fun range gun, nightstand gun. Will last forever and is accurate as hell.
True - along with the P 01 and PCR.
Old July 25, 2022, 12:42 PM   #24
Tactical Jackalope

Most days it's my Glock 19 w/ the Grey Ghost Precision V4 slide and Trijicon RMR. Mainly because of the RDS. Or the Glock 19M.

But I've also carried the Glock the 34 MOS with the Steiner MPS a few times.

So if I had to pic absolutely one, I guess it'd be the GGP Glock 19.

I have two other 19s who are also mates (they're Gen 3 and the same setup. Irons on one with a Sonoran Defense laser stippled frame and Trijicon RMR on my RTF2)

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Old July 26, 2022, 08:17 AM   #25
Sigkid79

Mine is a Springfield Armory XDs Mod 2. While out, I carry in a 7+1 figuration. At home, I switch to my 9+1 configuration.