The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 20, 2017, 10:50 AM   #51
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I've been looking at the marketing around the new Taurus Spectrum, which isn't too different from a lot of other pocket guns lately.

These guns (whatever their defense worth is...I won't argue ballistics, but I also wouldn't argue with a .380 aimed at me) seem way more trendy than any others. And it's obvious that's where marketing dollars are going.

Sexy-looking models holding them.

Available in chocolate mint, or Miami Vice blue, or pink camo!

Buy several interchangeable panels to match your outfits and your moods!

Some of these guns, both in size but especially style, look more like toys than my kid's nerf guns.

Seems to risk trivializing this. Making concealed carry into a fashion rather than a form of self defense.

Will people be more likely to get sloppy or careless with a gun if they're worried about how it matches their shoes?

At the end of the day, whatever colors and options and soft-touch materials companies come up with, these things are all tools with one main design purpose: KILLING OTHER HUMAN BEINGS.

I don't know. I guess when I saw two young ladies at a gun counter, looking at the color options on LCPs and giggling about which ones will match their eye shadow, it kind of worried me. I'm not sure I like trends that turn weapons into fashion.

Thoughts?

Hey hey hey. I know you as a guy care about what it looks like too. There is no need for a camo or Marpat or od green gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 20, 2017, 11:02 AM   #52
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritepath
SD guns aren't designed to "KILL OTHER HUMAN BEINGS" that's democrat speak.

Try instead "Designed to save lives" at least that's what my self defense firearms are designed for...
It's a nice thought, but consider that a firearm's utility as a lifesaving tool derives almost entirely from its ability to kill.

While I understand the desire to rhetorically depoliticize firearms by downplaying their role as instruments of death, I view this type of wordplay as facile at best and disingenuous at worst. I prefer to argue why it's morally justifiable for me to use lethal force in extreme circumstances. I would rather not be thought a fool, or worse yet, a liar.

Last edited by carguychris; January 20, 2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: minor reword
Old January 20, 2017, 11:03 AM   #53
Skans

If some of you want to argue that guns were not designed to kill (humans or animals), you go right ahead and make your arguments. I find them completely unconvincing and I'd bet that most people would agree with me. It's sort of like saying bows and arrows were designed to put holes into haystacks; or spears were designed to pin up animal hides on cave walls.
Old January 20, 2017, 11:08 AM   #54
JDBerg

A good friend of mine runs an LGS back in PA and he does good gunsmithing and Cerrakoting and when I saw a Taurus that he had done a pink Cerrakote job on the slide & frame, that was really awful looking!
Old January 20, 2017, 12:04 PM   #55
Oysterboy

I thought colorful guns and went to Google images.

Which one is real and which is not?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...13.2d-NkhTnVXA
Old January 20, 2017, 12:55 PM   #56
T. O'Heir

"...weapons into fashion..." It's just marketing. Smith did it years ago with their 'Lady Smith' line of revolvers and pistols. Nothing new about it. Smith used the brand name from 1902 through 1921 and again in the '80's.
"...police having a harder time determining whether a gun is real or a toy..." Is mostly about their lack of training and experience.
Old January 20, 2017, 01:18 PM   #57
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
"...police having a harder time determining whether a gun is real or a toy..." Is mostly about their lack of training and experience.
And your evidence for that, given the existence of replicas that almost look the same, is?

At night with a person pointed a replica at them in a suicide by cop - is not an unknown effect.
Old January 20, 2017, 01:29 PM   #58
Texas45

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"

Let me place you in a dimly lit room say 25 ft apart and point real/toy firearms at you and see how "well trained" you are.

Take the lil red end off a plastic replica and in low light/dark youd be hard pressed to ID it 100% as fake.

I have an M&P based bb co2 pistol and it is size/shape same as real thing Dark of night youd never know if I pointed your way it was only a bb gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 20, 2017, 02:44 PM   #59
Don P

Quote:
but she does want a gun that she likes to look at
Come on guys admit it we all buy guns we like to look at. How many of you have purchased the ugliest gun in the store?? WE all buy guns based on how they look. I remember reading about the Beretta PX4 series pistols when they first hit the market and folks saying they were the ugliest thing they ever laid eyes on. Ya'll didn't choose an ugly woman for a wife/girl friend, did you????
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 20, 2017, 03:10 PM   #60
tipoc

Are guns designed to kill?

To be true that is what they were designed for. Guns were originally developed as instruments of war. Minimally, to protect the property and privilege of the lairds. It's still a central aspect of what they do. Later the nobility wanted something to hunt with or compete with so guns evoled in that direction. Most innovation in firearms comes as a result of the pursuit of military and leo contracts. They are certainly developed to wound and kill humans.

But because they have become so widespread in society guns, as a whole have become specialized and their primary purpose, outside of the military and law enforcement is not killing humans or animals. Instead it's sport. Guns long and short have been developed for specific purposes not directly related to killing humans or animals.

Specialized handguns and rifles have been developed for target work.

Handguns (raceguns) for IDPA have become so specialized as to be worthless and impractical as weapons of war, police work or self defense in most situations. Their primary role is not killing or self defense but winning a game.

Other guns are primarily defensive in nature, small back up carry guns are an example. Their killing power is limited and sacrificed for ease of hiding and portability.

Many other rifles are designed as hunting tools and are not any armies first choice as battlefield weapons any longer. I'm not sure any army employs a Thompson Center Encore or anything like it.

So yeah, guns were developed for killing and damaging humans and game. But that is no longer their sole purpose. They can all fire a projectile and are all dangerous. But, outside from the military, their primary use in not in killing.

tipoc
Old January 20, 2017, 03:31 PM   #61
TailGator

Quote:
Let me place you in a dimly lit room say 25 ft apart and point real/toy firearms at you and see how "well trained" you are.

Take the lil red end off a plastic replica and in low light/dark youd be hard pressed to ID it 100% as fake.
AND you have to make up your mind in the time it takes to pull the trigger.
Old January 20, 2017, 03:37 PM   #62
Bill DeShivs

Re police:
Many toy guns have been indistinguishable from real guns for many decades.
Toy guns are basically replicas of real guns, and you guys are worried about real guns looking like toys? This is a non-issue.
Old January 20, 2017, 03:53 PM   #63
Skans

Along with what Bill said, Realistic metal replica guns, which can be had for about $150, would be my concern. Something like these things they sell on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-F-VENT-M...wAAOSwpRRWnqrp

Here's a replica 1911; notice how the orange thing pops out - this would fool me!http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-ENGRA...UAAOSww9VXh~0F
Old January 20, 2017, 05:29 PM   #64
tipoc

Quote:
Re police:
Many toy guns have been indistinguishable from real guns for many decades.
Toy guns are basically replicas of real guns, and you guys are worried about real guns looking like toys? This is a non-issue.
Agree.

Prop guns, starter pistols, airguns, pellet guns, etc. It is not an issue.

Ohioguy laid out the premise of the thread early on: Do brightly colored guns, pink guns or BBQ guns encourage people to treat the guns as less than dangerous firearms and treat them carelessly?

I don't think so.

tipoc
Old January 20, 2017, 05:40 PM   #65
peggysue

Come on guys. let people have their choice of what they want. It is not just about you. Trump won and anti-gun Hillary Lost. Roll with the wave of new guns on the market to include colors and styles. Life is great for a gun collector.
Old January 21, 2017, 06:47 PM   #66
P71pilot

If anything they are of great importance, they get new people into shooting and defending themselves
Old January 22, 2017, 08:29 AM   #67
peggysue

Here you go P Mags you can dye to any colors!!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...mag-by-magpul/
Old January 22, 2017, 08:59 AM   #68
SansSouci

A Model 1911A1 is one damned good looking gun, especially blued versions.
Old January 23, 2017, 08:38 AM   #69
peggysue

I have 9 1911's. Want me to post a picture. Each is different. Some stainless, blued and parkerized. I am sure them make them in colors now with paint.
NOT MY 45 PICTURED.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45.jpg (37.3 KB, 30 views)
Old January 23, 2017, 09:32 AM   #70
Ricklin

Oy Vay

I just threw up in my mouth a little.......

Different strokes for different folks. I do see the hyper realistic "fake guns" as being the larger issue for LE. Heck I noticed at the USAF museum in Ohio that the guns in the displays were toys. Had to really look close.
Old January 23, 2017, 02:09 PM   #71
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin
...I noticed at the USAF museum in Ohio that the guns in the displays were toys.
I suspect that this has a lot more to do with preventing theft than with any of the concerns being discussed in this thread. Most of the displays at the USAF museum are in open hangars, protected only by ropes, and partially obscured by parked aircraft or other vehicles and equipment. The staff can't realistically monitor every guest the whole time.
Old January 25, 2017, 06:01 AM   #72
peggysue

New SR22 Ruger to go on my wall of diversity already pictured in this thread.

Old January 25, 2017, 08:37 AM   #73
Skans

I don't think that black and yellow Ruger looks like a toy. Perhaps a bit like a bumble bee - but a pretty cool looking bumble bee.
Old January 25, 2017, 08:53 AM   #74
peggysue

Kind of like a DeWalt drill?
Old January 25, 2017, 10:15 AM   #75
Skans

Peggysue, something tells me that you have glimpsed through a window into the future where people will be bidding big on these 20-teen brightly colored firearms. Like Colt SAA's, Lugers and pre-WWI 1911's.