The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 16, 2017, 08:53 AM   #26
wild cat mccane

I guess we'll see, though I do agree with you that things are getting interesting with prices.

The Creed takes on the TP9SF at $340 vs $320.

If the TP9SF Elite stays at $400, it's competing with price for all but Glock/Walther/HK. The PPQ goes on sale for $500 and I have picked them up for $450 on flash sales at large online retailers and not just Black Friday.

The PPQ 5" is regularly on sale for $550, lows of $535. If the SFX is 450? Maybe it will be okay. If it is 480? I think the PPQ 5" wins.

In my experience, the Walthers have a better trigger and finish. Not subjective, they are smaller. I think the Canik pistol prices have to be more than just slightly under to convert people who would normally actually lay the cash down for a Glock/Walther/HK.
Old January 19, 2017, 09:10 AM   #27
roarshock

Friend bought the regular TP 9SF. Saved me the disappointment. Jammed on everything nearly everytime. Maybe once the springs settle in it will improve. He should have waited for the Elite sizewise. Regular one is pretty bulky and heavy for polymer. Trigger is promising. Sights I don't like. Black out the rear and it would be ok probably.
Old January 19, 2017, 09:58 AM   #28
Tibult

Quote:
Friend bought the regular TP 9SF. Saved me the disappointment. Jammed on everything nearly everytime. Maybe once the springs settle in it will improve. He should have waited for the Elite sizewise. Regular one is pretty bulky and heavy for polymer. Trigger is promising. Sights I don't like. Black out the rear and it would be ok probably.
Was it jamming with regular FMJ loads or was it with hollow points too?
Old January 19, 2017, 11:30 AM   #29
sigarms228

Quote:
I guess we'll see, though I do agree with you that things are getting interesting with prices.

If the TP9SF Elite stays at $400, it's competing with price for all but Glock/Walther/HK. The PPQ goes on sale for $500 and I have picked them up for $450 on flash sales at large online retailers and not just Black Friday.

The PPQ 5" is regularly on sale for $550, lows of $535. If the SFX is 450? Maybe it will be okay. If it is 480? I think the PPQ 5" wins.

In my experience, the Walthers have a better trigger and finish. Not subjective, they are smaller. I think the Canik pistol prices have to be more than just slightly under to convert people who would normally actually lay the cash down for a Glock/Walther/HK.
I agree. Though a Canik costs less it will also be worth less. For not that much more I go for the real deal every time and the warranty, support, and parts availability that come with it.
Old January 19, 2017, 03:07 PM   #30
Tibult

Yes if the difference is less than $100 then yes get a Walther but once the difference is above $200 then sometimes its better to have money left over for ammo and a Turkish clone.
The Q5 Match is around $750 the Canik TP9SFX will be around $500.
Old January 19, 2017, 05:18 PM   #31
Rockrivr1

Quote:
Friend bought the regular TP 9SF. Saved me the disappointment. Jammed on everything nearly everytime. Maybe once the springs settle in it will improve.
These must be hit or miss as my TP9SF has been rock solid shooting everything from WWB to S&B to Fiocchi. All 115gr and didn't have any failures with it. Accuracy was more then decent and overall I like the gun. The trigger has a little more take up then I like, but the trigger break was crisp and clean. Picked it up for $320 during a Good Friday sale last year. Can't beat it for that price.
Old January 19, 2017, 09:11 PM   #32
railroader

Quote:

I know this is about the TP9SF Elite but I have some experience with the TP9SF and a Walther PPX which is basicly the pre Walther Creed. To me the Canik was just ok. I had issues with not pushing the safety blade in the trigger correctly so sometimes it didn't fire because of this. I had to make sure I got enough finger on the trigger because of this. To me the sights and the finish were just ok. Now the walther has better sights, just as good a trigger that works for me and a really good finish. Both guns have a lifetime warranty, walther will sell you spare parts but century arms won't. That was a real turn off for me.
Old January 19, 2017, 09:53 PM   #33
wild cat mccane

Obligatory photo showing I've owned them all...(PPQ with a TP9 original)

Yes. My 2 TP9SFs had the issue where the blade would have to be pushed perfectly to actuate the trigger. Wasn't the case on my TP9SA.

When close, the Walthers are the better deal.

The Q5 is more similar to the PPQ 5" than some think. Trigger is the same, just optic mount.

Old January 19, 2017, 10:03 PM   #34
tahunua001

never had issues with my TP9SF. my TP9 did have failures to return to battery, free trip back to century fixed that. the tp9 is not a very good buy, but in my opinion, my SF is superior to most other handguns in its price range, Sigmas, kahrs, keltecs, M&Ps, etc. I regularly hear people getting caniks for $300, you can't cherry pic the prices on the higher end books and compare to non-sale prices on the low end. $150 difference in sale prices is a lot of value.

with that said, I'm kindof looking at several firearms in the $400 to $450 range and think that the canik tp9SF is right at home in that group. the elite definitely has some role out issues and hopefully canik and century can iron it out so that they can start being taken seriously. there are people who still won't touch XDs because they have "made in croatia" on them.
Old January 20, 2017, 08:15 AM   #35
wild cat mccane

Having owned nearly all current production polymer handguns and several TP9SFs, I don't agree the TP9/TP9Sa/TP9SF are on the same level of any manufacturer for several reasons (coating, size, trigger blade issues..). One of my TP9SF DTs below.

That said, the Elite is getting bought if it comes back to the $300-$350 realm. It is not at $410 that it currently hangs. The CZ P-10 is coming to compete with the PPQ and will be right around the current price of the Elite. No brainer to get the CZ at that range.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; January 20, 2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old February 14, 2017, 07:08 PM   #36
Tibult

Now its February 14 and heard nothing on updates they had it since Jan 17.
Hopefully after this long wait the problems are fixed because if its not fixed or even worse problems then what I had prior to shipping it to them.I will sell it for a loss instead of waiting another month to get it back.
Old February 14, 2017, 08:31 PM   #37
wild cat mccane

I wouldn't write them off yet. I am still interested, but the gun clearly has a growing list of reviewers showing ejection and NATO/+p ammo problems. It does appear to be a real problem.

Maybe Canik is working on a solution and Century is waiting for a spring change?

I want the Elite to work and come down in price. 380+ now it just isn't worth it. Just picked up my 4th PPQ for $459 from Buds a week ago (2/8/2017)
Old February 14, 2017, 10:16 PM   #38
Tibult

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...OMPACT+G+MODEL

This will be the replacement if this gun does not work out.
Old February 15, 2017, 12:38 AM   #39
tahunua001

not a bad choice for a replacement, I rather enjoy the PX4, aside from slide mounted safety.
Old February 15, 2017, 08:40 AM   #40
wild cat mccane

Loved the PX4 until someone pointed out the grip is like a T - straight up and down

Reset isn't great either...but I do still like the PX4.

Careful though, having hovered at 400 for years, all of a sudden they are jumping up high 500s for no reason at all.
Old February 15, 2017, 09:39 AM   #41
Martowski

Interesting read, thanks for posting. Had a PX4 myself and it was decent, but preferred the Sig SP2022 and sold the PX4.
Old February 26, 2017, 09:42 PM   #42
Tibult

It has been 6 weeks and they are still "working" on it.
Had I known that this would take over 6 weeks I would have sold the gun for a loss instead. Its not my job to be their beta tester they should have tested it with a variety of ammo and worked the obvious bugs that model has before releasing it to the public for sale. There is a guy on youtube that has been waiting over 8 weeks and still has not received it back. I will never buy a Century warrantied gun again at this point even if they do fix the issues which I am not betting money on.
Old February 27, 2017, 12:55 AM   #43
tahunua001

I'm sorry you're having so many problems with the warranty service. that's a real shame. hope you get it back functional at least.
Old February 27, 2017, 06:59 PM   #44
wild cat mccane

That's the longest I've heard of any company in recent memory.

A good warning to people considering a Century Arms important gun...
Old March 4, 2017, 10:30 PM   #45
Tibult

Update:
Received the Canik on friday after 6 weeks in limbo.
I promptly looked it over they replaced the recoil spring and ejector block according to the work order that was sent back with it.
Then I put it up for sale for a loss of around $100 and let the person buying know the issues I had with it and that I sent it to be fixed but did not test it upon receiving it back and he agreed to go ahead and take it.
I decided to sell it since if I would of had any new issues with it in the future. I could expect substandard quality customer service and a 6 week wait or longer.

Goes to show you even a lifetime warranty is as useful as its customer service is, which is a big disappointment. I had to message them for an update and even to get the tracking number which they did not do until I asked which is unacceptable. Lesson learned no more foreign guns that have to go through century arms for any warranty work.
I will only buy from reputable companies that give a damn about their customers and put quality first in their products.
Old March 4, 2017, 10:57 PM   #46
tahunua001

if this is the worst customer service you have ever received then I am both envious and in pity of you. you sent the gun in, and they fixed it and returned it. you were so upset by the time table that you immediately sold it. I work on computers, it is rare that the manufacturer will work with the customer or a trained and certified technician like myself to correct obvious manufacturing defects and when they do, it can take over a month depending on the manufacturer, and these are all american companies. I've never had a customer get their computer back after HP spent 5 weeks working on their computer, or waiting over a month for a part to arrive from china and say that they are going to turn around and sell it without even trying to turn it on because of how long they went without it.

actually I'm a little jealous that I didn't get the chance to offer to buy it, not that I really have the funds to anyway. but I do think it's a little bit childish of you to sell without even testing it, namely because that lifetime warranty is not transferable and since century already has that serial number on file, if they new owner ever needs service they are stuck paying for it.

I'm not trying to start a ruckus or personally attack you but your attitude and decision making process makes zero sense to me.
Old March 4, 2017, 11:20 PM   #47
Tibult

The time table tells me they dont give a you know what about their customer service. I sold it because I dont want to spend more money testing it and taking another risk of something actually breaking this time and then having to send it back again and wait another 6 weeks. Computers are not the same thing as a gun you put your life on. I put more scrutiny on a handgun, if the handgun fails me I am very likely dead if I needed it. And since it took 6 weeks for me to get it back that gave me enough reason to sell it for a loss since century could care less if I had needed this gun as a defense weapon. The guy who bought it understood the risk and he obliged plus he saved $100 so that makes up for him paying for warranty work if that were to happen.
Old March 5, 2017, 12:46 AM   #48
tahunua001

application of the product is irrelevent, it's still the same premise, you bought a faulty product, sent it to the manufacturer, and they fixed it free of charge, but because you disagree with the manner in which they fixed it, you don't even want to give the product a chance.

I recently purchased a Ruger SR45. the hillbilly I bought it from tried a whole bunch of home gunsmithing techniques to make it better and completely destroyed the handguns reliability. I had to play phone tag with Ruger for weeks to set up an RMA, and finally just mailed it off two days ago. I am not the happiest with Ruger CS right now, and because I was open with the fact that I am not the original owner of the firearm, I am not certain that they will even fix it, no less fix it for no charge, but you can rest assure that no matter how upset I am with Ruger, the jerk and liar I bought it from, or the handgun, I am damn sure going to at least test to to see if their service corrected the issue before making the decision to sell it.
Old March 5, 2017, 10:30 AM   #49
Tibult

I did not give the product a chance because it failed miserably in inspiring confidence that it will be any good for anything but shooting at targets at the range.Which is not what I intended it for in the first place. They fixed it but I did not want to chance a firing pin breaking or something of the sort and then having to go through another long wait again.

The person that bought it from me again is aware of the issues it had and that I had not tested it upon receiving it back. He agreed to take it because I passed the savings unto him to alleviate any concerns so he probably wont have any issues with it.Its not like I concealed the issues and lied to him I was upfront and honest the first thing he asked is if there are any issues with it which I quickly explained to him all the issues and what I did with it including that I did not test fire it when I got it back.
Old March 5, 2017, 12:16 PM   #50
peggysue

My tp9sa has been flawless..