The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 11, 2017, 08:26 PM   #1
Tibult

Canik TP9sf Elite

Just bought a Canik TP9SF elite will take it to the range tomorrow to test it if it shoots good.It wont be a carry gun just a home defense and car gun if it does decent. Any FTE,FTF, or double feeds will be noted tomorrow. I will be shooting Fiocchi 115 grain fmj and Pmc 115 grain fmj as a test to see if there is a achilles heel of this gun that weaker non-Nato spec ammo will cause it to jam or have weak ejections.I will then shoot Hornady 124 grain +p xtp's and critical duty 135 grain +p flexlocks.
Any one own one and what were your experiences with it?

Not going to sell it regardless of outcome since every time I sell something I lose at least $50 or more since it will be a used gun and not a major gun brand like Glock that hold their value better.
Old January 11, 2017, 08:45 PM   #2
Steve1

Lets us know how it works. I'm interested in buying one for myself. If I may ask where did you purchase it and what was the cost.? Thanks
Old January 11, 2017, 09:34 PM   #3
Tibult

I purchased it at a local gun store called Infidel Firearms Academy that just opened up and paid $480 after tax so a bit high but within reason.You should be able to get it for $425-$450 if you are patient.
I will give an update on how it did tomorrow afternoon.
Old January 11, 2017, 09:53 PM   #4
Steve1

Great Can't wait for the range report. I had 2 full size Caniks TP9SF in Desert tan. Awesome gun . Don't know why I sold them plus I lost $$. Never again.
Old January 12, 2017, 08:07 AM   #5
wild cat mccane

Would love to hear it.

A bit high? at $100 too high
Old January 12, 2017, 02:31 PM   #6
Tibult

Range report it had failure to ejects,double feed, and stove pipes with all 100 rounds of 115 grain fmj from both Fiocchi and PMC. Worse with the latter essentially had to shoot it like a single shot pistol and manually cycle slide after every shot to eject spent casing and remove magazine to prevent double feed before firing.

Then I tested defense ammo from Hornady to Speer in 124 grains standard and +p and lightweight 90 grain corbon +p it cycled perfectly through all of them without a hiccup put 50-60 rounds through it.
Accuracy was very good better then Glock 19 I have had.
So my conclusion is this gun is only designed to shoot hot defense 9mm ammo not light range ammo.I will contact Century and see if they are in the process of making a lighter recoil spring designed for more variety of ammo until then I will have this gun only as a home defense gun not a carry gun.
Update Did send information to Century arms waiting for a response back

Last edited by Tibult; January 12, 2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old January 12, 2017, 02:35 PM   #7
Tibult

Florida gun stores price their guns high so its part of the accepted tradition here to price them 50-100 dollars above internet prices
Old January 12, 2017, 09:00 PM   #8
wild cat mccane

Your report is 100% what I've seen with zero stating otherwise.

Hopefully Century gets back to you. My experience with them has been a bit abrupt for help.

Keep us posted.
Old January 12, 2017, 09:37 PM   #9
tahunua001

hmm... that's no bueno. I'm glad the hotter stuff feeds but from the sounds of things with failures to eject, and double feeds that hardly seems like something that a lighter recoil spring could fix, it sounds more like you might need to clean it up a bit better.
Old January 12, 2017, 10:01 PM   #10
TunnelRat

This matches reports for the Elite I've seen as well. Sounds to me like it might be oversprung. Might break in over time.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 12, 2017, 10:46 PM   #11
Tibult

If it was so dirty that it causes failures to eject and double feeds I would of had the same results with the defense ammo I shot after the FMJs. And it was clean enough to see the shiny ramp and light film of oil when I took it to the range its a defensive pistol not a 1911 fine tuned target gun.

I guarantee you guys its related to the stiff recoil spring and possibly the extractor too.Its the softest recoiling and accurate 9mm handgun I have shot so far that is why I am not giving up on it.Hopefully century does not drop the ball and fail to fix the issue. I am still waiting to hear back after I sent them my info so I can get a shipping label.

And those of you on the fence about this gun trust me this gun is worth the money.Once they remedy the issues I have and others have had it will be a home run as a pistol under $500.And if your impatient do what I did you may get one that wont have any issues with light ammo otherwise run hotter 9mm through it.

Last edited by Tibult; January 12, 2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old January 13, 2017, 12:48 PM   #12
Nathan

Hope they make it right. Seems like a fine gun.

On another note.....this may mean nothing to you, but a Glocks, XD's and M&P's regularly sell online for less than $480... $20 -$30 transfer fees are available in your area, if you look around.
Old January 13, 2017, 05:13 PM   #13
wild cat mccane

Yes. For the features, Canik has to stay low in price. I know everyone said they are well worth more, but at more, the other options come with metal treatment, are thinner, have better coatings, etc.

I am pick up the Elite if we hear of a solution. I haven't read a thread or watched a youtube yet from someone who isn't experiencing this issue.
Old January 13, 2017, 05:34 PM   #14
Tibult

I sent the gun to century so it can take up to 6 weeks according to them for it to come back. Hopefully they fix it and it works with all ammo.
Old January 13, 2017, 05:56 PM   #15
TunnelRat

Did you have to pay shipping or did they send you a label?
Old January 13, 2017, 08:02 PM   #16
Tibult

They sent me a label I would not have sent it if I had to pay $40 to ship it.
Old January 13, 2017, 08:21 PM   #17
TunnelRat

Cool. Some companies can be a pain about that so that's good to hear.
Old January 13, 2017, 08:24 PM   #18
Tibult

I think its because century has had a history of being a pain so they have changed their stance instead of pissing off their customers they rather keep them satisfied.
Old January 13, 2017, 10:30 PM   #19
tahunua001

I had to send a first gen canik tp9 in for failures to return to battery, I got the same 6 week estimate, total turn around time from the day they gave me the return label was 8 days and it functioned great after that.. century CS is way better than any of the other manufacturers I've dealt with.
Old January 13, 2017, 11:01 PM   #20
Tibult

Hopefully I get that result too.
Old January 14, 2017, 09:14 AM   #21
wild cat mccane

Defiantly good to hear.

Keep us posted. Very interested...but the CZ P10c is coming soon too
Old January 15, 2017, 04:08 PM   #22
Tibult

Once they work out the kinks of this model like the standard SF this gun should be the gold standard for budget handguns under $450 for Elite and $400 for standard SF. This is truly becoming the salad days for 9mm handguns and of course AR's. I may wait till the CZ P10c is proven and any kinks it may have is worked out before I try it out.
Old January 15, 2017, 04:14 PM   #23
tahunua001

I personally am still waiting for the SFX, longslide comp model with 20 round mags.
Old January 15, 2017, 04:24 PM   #24
Tibult

Alot of new innovating models are coming out every year from them. I see them putting a hurtin to Walther and Smith and Wesson if they don't get their prices in competition with Canik.
Old January 15, 2017, 04:51 PM   #25
tahunua001

agree.