The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2016, 08:46 PM   #26
savagetroll

The gun I am shooting is a J-Frame +P capable
Old January 21, 2016, 02:22 PM   #27
mikld

Quote:
Hornady loads definitely can apply as long as the bullets bearing surface is similar. Jacketed is jacketed, and plated has essentially the same friction and galling.

There is no real challenge in using jacketed data for plated. Advice to use low to medium load data is not that complicated. Whoever said to use lead bullet data is mistaken in my view

I addressed my response to a new reloader. Perhaps with more experience he would benefit by more technical info (jacket alloys vs. plated alloys and resulting pressure/friction coefficients, and bearing surface length and resulting friction of various jacket, plating alloys). Since the "overlap" between lead bullet data and mid-level jacketed (max for plated) data is small, starting with lead bullet data is ideal, especially for a new reloader. I have reloaded only 1100 plated bullets and used lead bullet data for my 9mm and 45 ACP with excellent results...
Old January 22, 2016, 07:30 AM   #28
Real Gun

Quote:
I have reloaded only 1100 plated bullets and used lead bullet data for my 9mm and 45 ACP with excellent results...
The real point is that one should follow the advice of the bullet maker, who cautions against sticking a plated bullet with too low a charge and who explicitly states to use low to medium jacketed load data.

Going outside that envelope is for more experienced and knowledgeable, although not necessarily wiser, reloaders. There is no award I know of for achieving the lowest velocity that can hit a target. These competitions spawn both eccentric, fantasy world guns as well as ammo. Real world guns and ammo are for defense or hunting.
Old January 22, 2016, 05:06 PM   #29
savagetroll

Loaded 25 founds of Berry'S 125 FP for my 38 J Frame today;
WIN231 4.3 grains
1.455 OAL

All shot well, nice groups for a shorty from 21'

Powder was low end of Hornady XTP 4.3 and mid level for lead 3.8

Very mild recoil

Thanks guys
Old January 23, 2016, 07:35 AM   #30
Real Gun

delete