The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2016, 07:45 PM   #26
rootie3

Lead Bullets

The combat pistol shooters shoot lead.... Cheaper, too.
Old January 21, 2016, 10:12 PM   #27
walnut1704

I shoot nothing but lead in my Gold Match II. Not a problem. Being a bit fatter you do need to be sure they chamber.
Old January 22, 2016, 01:30 AM   #28
MJFlores

After trying plated bullets I've completely lead bullets and dont ever plan to go back. Sure, lead is a bit cheaper but eliminating all the fouling issues and cleaning chore I had has made me a happy camper. I'm not saying everyone should give up on lead, but plated bullets work so much better for me. Personally, I've never experienced any of the negatives people sometimes mention regarding plated bullets, and would even say that most of it is far exaggerated. The plating is very tough and despite what some claim, is very hard to damage with a crimping die. I have some fired plated bullets I've recovered that dont even show lead after impacting wood. I shoot outside so never worried about lead vapor from the base of a fired bullet, but with plated it's even less of a concern so that's even a plus in my book.
Old January 22, 2016, 07:25 AM   #29
Real Gun

I am going to try more plated bullets for guns too tight for good results with lead of any hardness or size. The size of plated bullets, like jacketed, is also more compatible with most die sets, which clearly anticipate the smaller diameter.

First though I need to do more with matching hardness level with the velocity I am achieving. Plated are more expensive, and I am not equipped to make my own plated. I don't cast lead either, but have everything I would need if unable to buy bullets.

Last edited by Real Gun; January 22, 2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old January 23, 2016, 11:26 AM   #30
Nosab

There is also a good video on YouTube by jr10 titled "To crimp or not to crimp, that is the question." He is mainly discussing crimping effects on .45 auto he does discuss lead vs copper plated vs copper jacketed. It is worth a watching especially if you are just starting out loading .45 loads.