The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 15, 2012, 12:35 AM   #1
johnwilliamson062

"Expandable Varmint Points"

Expandable Varmint Points

In my search for broadheads for deer I ran across the above. I honestly do not understand what the point is for these. It says they expand so you do not lose the arrow. Deliver blunt trauma to varmints? As I mentioned in my other thread I may use this bow on a raccoon or something, but i can't see how this point would be any good.
Old November 15, 2012, 01:37 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

Those just give you a slight aerodynamic edge, before delivering the blunt-force trauma most people prefer for small game.

I haven't taken it out in quite some time (years ), but I use Eastman "Shockers" on my Atlatl darts.
Old November 15, 2012, 02:11 AM   #3
johnwilliamson062

bladed bolts ruin too much meat?

Seems less than a perfect kill method.
Old November 15, 2012, 05:25 AM   #4
rickyrick

Seems like they're designed for the more likely miss than the hit
Old November 15, 2012, 04:04 PM   #5
buck460XVR

Quote:
bladed bolts ruin too much meat?

Seems less than a perfect kill method.

Quote:
Seems like they're designed for the more likely miss than the hit
The Eastman Shockers (an imitation of the old Zwickey Judo Points) and the V-3s are basically blunts that use the impact of the shaft to stun/kill/cripple. The idea behind the wires/springs and blades is to grab the ground and make the arrow stand up and be easily found after missing. Anyone that has ever hunted small game with a bow, knows you miss a lot. With regular field points and broad-heads, shooting from a standing position and shooting at something on the ground, the arrows tend to snake under the grass and undergrowth and are impossible to find. With carbon arrows costing up to $10 a piece, you don't want to lose too many.
Old November 16, 2012, 12:55 AM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Ah, I see. I am helping with a youth hunt this weekend and may carry the crossbow with varmint tips and go after squirrels. Saw some at walmart for $8 tonight. Should be entertaining for all involved.
Old November 16, 2012, 03:38 AM   #7
bamaranger

new on me

I've not seen the "expanding blunt". But.......I've shot a ton of the old Judo Points over the years.

Used to be that "stump shooting" was a highly endorsed type of practice. Might be, but I tore up and lost a bunch of arrows in the process.

The Judo did allow one to recover arrows in grass and brush, and deep leaves, usually.

I've also got a small suppley of the angled, washer looking things made by Bear that went behind a screw in broadhead, but I do not recall what they were named.
Old November 19, 2012, 10:09 PM   #8
johnwilliamson062

Massive failure. As Bama ranger indicated totally tore up the bolt I used, specifically the fletching. If I was to do it again I would use cheap aluminum bolts or something. At the necessarily short ranges I the judo point was penetrating pretty deep into branches/stumps/ground. I think I took three shots from 10, 20 and, 35 yards and they happened to be one into each type of back stop. The 35 yard was b/c the squirrel was taunting me. All probably kill shots for a deer, but no hits on squirrel. To Horton's credit the three dot reticule is pretty dang close to POI for 20, 30, and 40 yards. Lots of leaves flying, wood exploding and squirrel running. Then I had to pull the bolt out of ground, stump, or limb. The judo points were pretty mangled, but when I shot a fourth across a grass field to unload they still worked

Really a lot of work for what I figure for me is a 10% chance on a pound of meat for shots inside 20 yards. No need to scare the squirrel on the other nine tries. Next time I will take my 22. Maybe after I get a little better with the crossbow I will try again. The three point are close for the specified yardages, but I need to know POI exactly for yardages in between and be able to judge them exactly.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:02 AM   #9
old roper

I haven't tried the new expandable varmint points from easton yet . There is o-ring that fits in small gap below the blades so they won't open till hitting something and you get two plus extra o-rings (6) just little over $10 each.

Opened up their appr 3/4" wide. I'm going to try them one of these days may waste one see how they shoot in my bow.
NRA Life Member

Last edited by old roper; November 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old November 20, 2012, 09:41 PM   #10
nathaniel

My brother has them, he uses them on p-dogs alot. They work wonders. If he hits 'em the dogs usually get knocked down for a good amount of time and if he misses, the arrow always catches the ground and stays close to where he hit. His only compaint is the o-ring.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:19 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

I was thinking a large point made of ballistic nylon might be best. Would have terrible aerodynamics, but I think it would work better. It seems like most people using these are using bows. I sort of wondered what happens if just the judo tip hits the squirrel. Probably cause a good gash without doing much actual damage.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:25 PM   #12
old roper

That's what we got them for just haven't had the time yet and depending on angle of the shot could see them not opening. Thank for sharing
NRA Life Member