The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 10, 2012, 01:07 PM   #1
FLChinook

Pre-breakin new barrel cleaning

I just acquired a new Weatheby Fibermark with SS barrel. I've never cleaned a new barrel before but it seems to be recommended so I did this time. The picture shows the patches used.

Cleaning started with the top left patch (Bore Tech Eliminator); BTE was used for all patches in the top row with the last one left to soak for 10 min. Middle row is clean patches, starting left. Bottom row is just a final patch of Kroil/Hoppes.

I understand that blue in the patch represents copper and am very surprised by these results. I did not repeat the process with BTE but I could if needed.

Can anyone comment on these results? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Cleaning patches.jpeg (175.2 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by FLChinook; September 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old September 10, 2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Sweet Shooter

Does this rifle have iron sights? If so maybe there were a few (more than usual) rounds put through for the purpose of zeroing... doesn't this model have an MOA guarantee? It looks like the gun was shot a lot. Perhaps they had issues on testing. Does the gun look otherwise new?

-SS-
Old September 10, 2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Strafer Gott

I have seen similar discoloration while polishing stainless. I thought it was from the nickel alloyed in to make stainless. The copper patch looks a slightly different hue, a bit greener, IMHO.
Old September 10, 2012, 02:51 PM   #4
FLChinook

I just talked with Jessie at Bore Tech and he says this result is completely common. He said that Weatherby typically fires 3 to 5 rounds through every new gun and can fire as many as 25. I would hope not 25 as this would suggest a problem of some type...

Anyway, these rounds fired at the factory are essentially "barrel breaking" firings and they always have the most copper fouling (according to Jessie).

I will do a few more cycles of cleaning with BTE; hopefully, each will show less blue residue than the previous. I'll report back.

BTW, I was using the new Bore Tech jag which looks like brass but is an alloy (softer than SS) not susceptible to leaching copper.
Old September 10, 2012, 03:59 PM   #5
FrosSsT

Quote:
I would hope not 25 as this would suggest a problem of some type...
Not neccessarily. I've had to shoot around that many to get where I wanted to get with some rifles. It is not always the rifle.
Old September 10, 2012, 10:03 PM   #6
FLChinook

Copper fouling in a new barrel???

I've now gone through 8 cycles of running a patch with BTE, letting it set at least an hour, running a clean patch to collect copper residue, and finally running another wet patch with BTE.

The clean patches ARE finally coming out with less blue, although it took six cycles to see any reduction. I'll probably run one more cycle tonight and leave one wet run in the barrel overnight.

Then, no matter what I find, it's off to the range to break in the barrel.

I sure never expected to see so much copper in a new SS barrel...
Old September 11, 2012, 11:50 PM   #7
timelinex

Is there a reason you are trying to get your bore clean down to bare metal? If you ask me, they did you a favor by filling in the imperfections a little with copper. Now you have to waste your own ammunition doing it all over again.

On a side note, get some Wipe-out. You spray the foam in there, leave it for a half hour and then wipe it out. If you want it down to bare metal just do this twice and your done.
Old September 12, 2012, 12:03 AM   #8
Scorch

Since we are talking about a new rifle, I would guess the copper green on the patches is from the bore brush you used. Yep, copper solvents dissolve any copper they come in contact with, including brushes and jags.

As far as the others, looks OK. Don't sweat it too much. Remember, if it shoots good, it doesn't matter how dirty it is.
Old September 12, 2012, 12:12 AM   #9
FLChinook

I'm not sure I agree. I put a post in the thread "Copper removal no longer recommended?" giving the details but basically I think a new, unlapped barrel needs some number of bullets fired (and the copper cleaned) before the barrel is properly conditioned such that it can then be allowed to retain copper in a beneficial way. Retaining copper before this conditioning candeals with the little imperfections in the barrel (which result from the manufacturing process) may disrupt the conditioning process.

I've got no data to support this belief; it just makes sense to me...

Thanks
Old September 12, 2012, 12:15 AM   #10
FLChinook

Re getting copper residue from the brush (or jag); not in this case. I'm using a fiber rod and a new BoreTech jag that protects from copper contamination.

There's no doubt that all the copper I found came from the barrel...
Old September 12, 2012, 07:33 AM   #11
kraigwy

I must be missing something here. I judge my barrels based on how they shoot instead of what the cleaning patches look like.

My break in of any new barrels consist of sighting them in.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 12, 2012, 11:49 AM   #12
FLChinook

Kraig,

As I said, I've always "broken in" my rifles the way you do, by sighting them in at the range. But I've never paid this much for a rifle before and elected to take the extra effort (and it was effort!) to follow Weatherby's recommendations.

How much copper removal I work on after break-in will certainly be a function of how the gun is shooting.

Thanks
Old September 13, 2012, 08:11 PM   #13
Achilles11B

I'm building a target AR with an 18" SS barrel, so I read this thread with great interest.

Then I saw Kraigwy's post...

...and my course of action is clear.

The guy knows his stuff, I'd give his advice some consideration.
Old September 13, 2012, 10:56 PM   #14
SIGSHR

The question of barrel break-in is something we will debate till the Crack of Doom and still not find The Answer. If there is one.
Old September 14, 2012, 10:19 AM   #15
Tom68

SIG, I agree: since barrels have such unique properties, one will never fully know the outcome had he "broken in" or not. That being said, some will ask the question "What can it hurt?", and take the extra time, effort, and expense to clean/shoot/clean/shoot...
Old September 14, 2012, 11:10 AM   #16
FLChinook

Don't forget "cool"... That's shoot, clean, cool, sh... :-)