The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2012, 11:23 PM   #1
hoffbill

Continuing education in the finer points of handloading

I have developed my basic skill and aquired a decent set of basic reloading tools and equipment. I currently load good hunting accuracy, around 1 MOA or a little better in my rifles with an occasional flier. I have reached a point where I want to take my skills to the next level. I am finding good info about things like case neck concentricity and and the finer points of head spacing, neck resizing, neck turning, and the differences in various brands and lots of brass on the web sites of the reloading manufacturers. Can anyone recommend other sources of that kind of information to help me learn to load more precise ammo?
Old February 5, 2012, 11:52 PM   #2
toolguy2006

This book has some good info in it:

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Shoo...8503800&sr=8-1

Some of it reads like a sales pitch, but the "benchrest" portion of the book gives some good tips on making high precision ammo.
Old February 6, 2012, 03:29 AM   #3
BDS-THR

Before I started reloading .223/.308, I spent a lot of time at The Rifleman's Journal - website dedicated to precision long-range shooting (can you say 1000 yards? ) - http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...les-index.html

Start with articles under "Basics" and move onto "Reloading" and "Primers".

Enjoy!
Old February 6, 2012, 05:18 AM   #4
micksis86

You could have a look at the High power rifle reloading with David Tubbs DVD I found it really informative and goes into great detail regarding the reloading of competition handloads.
Old February 6, 2012, 05:49 AM   #5
hounddawg

Lots of good info on the web also. check out some of the articles at the benchrest and precision shooting sites such as

www.6mmbr.com
www.accurateshooter.com
www.longrangehunting.com
Old February 6, 2012, 09:43 AM   #6
Bill Daniel

Continuing education in the finer points of handloading

"Handloading for Competition" by Glen Zediker is an excellent read. It will give a chapter or so to each of the points you list.

All the Best,
Bill Daniel

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old February 6, 2012, 10:52 AM   #7
wncchester

No doubt, the Precision Shooting book listed in post #2 is the best available for most people who are striving to improve their basic loading skills for common uses.

Tubbs' book is good for the intended competetive match shooting audience. So is Ziedeker's if you are willing to dig through the layers of verbage for the occasional scattered kernels of helpful information. (College professors, even those who shoot, do love to hear themselves talk!)
Old February 6, 2012, 03:32 PM   #9
hoffbill

Thanks Guys, for all the info. Ought to be enough to keep me busy for a couple of rainy evenings. Much appreciation
Old February 7, 2012, 12:05 AM   #10
toolguy2006

hoffbill:

I'm about in the same place that it sounds like you are in. I would love to hear about good info/web sites that you find.
Old February 7, 2012, 09:14 AM   #11
hoffbill

I have browsed the things you guys have recommended and they look like they are spot on as sources I need to improve from where I am. Much appreciated.

toolguy2006: you probably already have but if not, see posts above in this thread
Old February 7, 2012, 06:05 PM   #12
WestDivide

IF you can find them...

...get the two vol set of HANDBOOK FOR RELOADERS AND SHOOTERS by P.O. Ackley. They are arguably the best treatise on pressure, headspace, cartridges, etc. THey are out of print, but you maybe able to find them at gun shows, or on ebay.
good luck, -West