The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2000, 11:39 PM   #1
cig1ar

Thanks,

Cig
Old January 10, 2000, 10:44 PM   #2
Will Beararms

Cig,

Do yourself a favor and look at the Browning BPS. I have abused one hunting pheasant to the point where all of the bluing was worn off of the receiver and it still kept going.

I hunted with four other men on a duck hunt in flooded timber recently, three of the five weapons were Benelli Autos. Two of Benelli's were brand new and hung up constantly. The third one was a bit used and spit out an extractor.

The BPS is not that heavy and it loads and ejects shells through the bottom meaning dust,dirt and rain will not affect it. The most important advantage I saw was the top tang safety which is a natural when it comes to waterfowl or upland hunting.

I have handled the Nova but never shot it. I can tell you that the light weight will take its toll on your shoulder. After last week, I have been scared away from the status of owning a Benelli.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."
Old September 14, 2004, 03:00 PM   #3
DuckGunner

Benelli Nova

WWOOOAAHHH!! I do have some reservation about the early Benelli auto's. They were a bit difficult in harsh envrionments. HOWEVER, Have put a 12 ga. NOVA through two very rough duck season's without a single problem. My 14 year old son uses a NOVA also. Shoots 3 1/2" Heavi-Shot and has no problem with recoil. Actually, we both have the recoil reducers, but removed them after the first hunt.

I also own 3 BPS guns and they are excellent. However, I prefer the NOVA in a duck blind, freezing weather, mud, etc. It just will not fail to operate.
Old September 14, 2004, 05:01 PM   #4
mete

The Nova has gotten an excellent reputation in Alaska where the 870 was the main shotgun for years .They don't use autos there due to the frequent bad weather.