The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 30, 2017, 09:51 PM   #26
Nathan

I think you did the right thing. As much as Glocks suck and have no soul, they are still worth $400 - $500 used. So, $800 - $1000 in Glocks for a $700 - $800 Colt. I would say you need $100 to close the deal

Quote:
Money wise I'm loosing a bit...and since the basic Commander won't do it for me as is I'll want to have the slide milled for Novak sights, a beavertail fitted, the front strap checkered....

I'm starting to talk myself out of it...
Novak sights - Not required. Basic trijicon night sights work.

beavertail fitted - commander rat tail is a nice look you might consider

front strap checkered - probably a good move, but grip tape can suffice for a while
Old January 31, 2017, 12:07 AM   #27
Ibmikey

You betchum' Red Ryder! I certainly would. ( if any of you are old enough to remember that).
Old January 31, 2017, 03:12 AM   #28
DaleA

Red Ryder...IIRC about as politically correct as the Cisco Kid but yeah I remember them and even though 'logically' a single action revolver didn't make much sense to me I still got a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt undoubtedly because I was brain washed by the old Westerns. (Still have the Blackhawk and still enjoy it.)
Old January 31, 2017, 07:10 AM   #29
ritepath

While I only have use for full sized 10mm glocks, even I wouldn't take this trade. I'd take the two and find a CZ p-01 tactical or Shadow 2.

Especially so if the 1911 still has that crappy grip safety.
Old January 31, 2017, 07:47 AM   #30
flphotog

Ahhh, finally a good use for a block
Old January 31, 2017, 07:52 AM   #31
glockman55

I've made a lot of trades, some even up and some not so much.. the only opinion that matters is yours. and If you really want the Colt and will never have the cash to spend on one, do it and don't look back.. It's not going to loose it's value like the Glocks. ( and I love my Glocks) plus: everyone should own one Colt 1911...lol good luck
Old January 31, 2017, 07:53 AM   #32
giaquir

Buy an ATI for $500+ . they're accurate, all the bells and whistles you need and
they go bang each and every time you pull the trigger.
I've had many Colts ,starting with National Match 70 series, reg GI models,
commanders ,and suped up officers.They are all finicky INMHO
and cost money to get them tuned up.
Old January 31, 2017, 07:58 AM   #33
Don P

Quote:
Just looking for a quick consensus here. Someone has offered me a Colt Commander from 2011. Beautifully blued basic model. The trade would be my Glock 19 and Glock 30S for the Colt..

Thoughts?
My opinion its a BAD DEAL, period. Colts are nothing special and all you are buying is the name. Newer Colts are nothing like their predecessors that were from before the labor strike of 1985. Buy a Springfield better gun in my opinion.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 31, 2017, 09:00 AM   #34
Olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P View Post
My opinion its a BAD DEAL, period. Colts are nothing special and all you are buying is the name. Newer Colts are nothing like their predecessors that were from before the labor strike of 1985. Buy a Springfield better gun in my opinion.
I couldn't agree more! You buy that basic Colt and you'll begging for that crappy Glock factory sights back. Those GI 1911 sights are worthless these days. Colt is still putting sights from the 1970s on their guns. I've had several Colts and they were all sloppy fitting with poor attention to detail. You're paying for the name and not much else. Take an $900 Colt with all the markings removed and put it next to a $600 Ruger with all the markings removed and you won't see much difference in terms of fit and finish. $600 to $700 is where Colt fits quality-wise.
Old January 31, 2017, 09:57 AM   #35
Skans

Quote:
You're paying for the name and not much else

Same could be said about Glocks. Were these Glocks made in Austria like my old 2nd Gen G17?. No, now I believe they are made (or partially made) in Smyrna Georgia - previously home to Cobray and the Mac 10. Do they make Mac 10's in Austria?
Old January 31, 2017, 10:50 AM   #36
Olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans View Post

Same could be said about Glocks. Were these Glocks made in Austria like my old 2nd Gen G17?. No, now I believe they are made (or partially made) in Smyrna Georgia - previously home to Cobray and the Mac 10. Do they make Mac 10's in Austria?
Not really. You're paying $400-$500 for a reliable polymer pistol. That's pretty much the same as you'd pay for an M&P, XD, etc. They are all within the same price range and for the most part they are all similar in quality. It would only be the same if Glocks started pricing themselves at say $700 while comparable models were still at $400-$500. Only then could you say you'd be paying for the name like you do with Colt.

And BTW, Glock is still producing guns in Austria as well as in Smyrna, GA.
Old February 2, 2017, 09:12 AM   #37
iblong

Nope.Might do one or the other.