The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 23, 2016, 10:33 AM   #26
dahermit

Quote:
the way I see it is gun oil is for guns and motor oil is for auto's.
And Whale oil is for Whales (they invented it for their own use),...whoops, seemed to work very well in lamps also.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:33 PM   #27
Clark

Yes, I want to be buried with bottles of KG1 and KG 12... throw in some Witches brew and denatured alcohol.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old May 3, 2016, 12:43 PM   #28
Buzzard Bait

ATF

Well I sort of think use gun oil for guns and motor oil for engines ,,,,,,But I do like ATF (automatic transmission fluid ) as a lube and a cleaner and protection from rust.
bb
Old May 3, 2016, 04:38 PM   #29
Unclenick
Staff

I understand that sentiment, but the motor oil company R&D budgets are way higher than they are for any company specializing in gun oil, so it should not be a surprise that they have a few tricks up their sleeve that gun lube makers don't. Indeed, quite a number of the latter have been developed by trial and error in somebody's basement until they thought they had something good enough to market. What the oil companies can afford to do is actually run the stuff in dozens of engines with carefully measured carbon deposition rates and confirm that it's not their imagination or wishful thinking that a new additive is actually doing something positive. Most small guys just can't do statistically satisfactory testing.

As was said earlier, Mobil 1 may be overqualified as a gun lubricant in most instances, but its the carbon cleaning properties that got Hummer70's attention. One of the problems with carbon is it hardens as it cools, then hardens more over time. That's the reason an M14/M1A gas piston is hard to get carbon out of. But motor oil is designed for a hot environment and doesn't mind going straight into a warm barrel that would evaporate a water-based solvent. The heat makes the additives work faster and attack the carbon before it takes a set. And at 6 or 7 bucks a quart, it's a fraction of the cost of most gun cleaners.

As for copper, that's still a separate cleaning chore.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 7, 2016, 02:07 PM   #30
Clark

Quote:
Unclenick
.. said the Army Marksmanship Unit went over to Mobile 1 synthetic oil for all their bore cleaning and general maintenance lubrication.
Typical day yesterday, came home with the cheapest (6) guns I could find while visiting (3) pawn shops.
The best was a Rem 798 300WM with Copper fouling... boring
The worst was a 410 bolt action on the "as is" rack... Another 410 with a broken stock!

I was using 10-40 Mobile 1, a tooth brush, a stiffer brush, a dental hygienist pic, and 0.012" brass coated wire wheels spinning slowly... could have been 5-20 Mobil 1 I poured into that squeeze bottle.

The guys at a pawn shop asked me what I was going to do with the 410. I told them I was going to rebuild it, with my own tape. They thought that was funny, but when I glued the cracked stock, I found that no clamps or surgical tubing worked. What closed the gap for gluing was short pieces of duct tape.

Getting Mobil 1 off the hands is not easy. The heavy orange hand cleaners leave a greasy feeling. The final polish is Ivory soap with Bon Ami.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?

Last edited by Clark; May 7, 2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old May 8, 2016, 01:18 AM   #31
Clark

I fixed the split stock on that shotgun I bought yesterday.
I refinished the stock with mineral oil and beeswax.
I made a temporary action screw.