The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 30, 2016, 01:57 PM   #1
KEYBEAR

Base pin problems

I just bought a clean Ruger Super BlackHawk three screw .
The first problem was the Base Pin popping out on recoil .
The Base pin shows that the Cross pin is or was not sitting on much of the cut in the base pin . It looks like the Cross Pin is only seated on maybe 1/3 of the cut in the Base Pin .

I installed a new Base Pin and Cross Pin with new spring and the Cross pin is seated about the same (about the same 1/3 )

the old original Base Pin looked not to be heat treated very well ? The old Cross Pin and Base Pin both show a bunch of wear that I normally do not see ..

Any Idea
Old April 30, 2016, 03:36 PM   #2
tangolima

I worked on a colt cowboy ssa. Not exactly the same model, but should be close when it comes to the base pin.

When the pin is in, there shouldn't be any back-and-forth play, or the base pin will constantly pound on the cross pin when revolver is fired, till it eventfully pops out under recoil.

Don't remember how much the cross pin went in to engage the base pin. But if you doubt it is inadequate, try figure out what is blocking it from going in further, and make adjustments. See how much the cross pin goes in without the base pin.

Inadequate engagement can certainly be a cause. The recoil force of the base pin will deform the small engagement surfaces. The play follows, and everything goes downhill from there.

I wouldn't think special heat treat is needed if everything is fitted correctly.

-TL
Old April 30, 2016, 04:38 PM   #3
KEYBEAR

The Base Pin does have a very little play . I will see just how much and maybe shim it ? I did order a Base Pin from Bowen I tried Belt Mountain and could not place an order ?

The Bowen Base Pin has a screw in the head and needs a blind hole in the barrel . I have a BFR in 44 Mag with a screw in the head of the base pin it works well .

I have three Ruger Super Blackhawks all three screw and shoot them a bunch never a problem . The Base Pins in the three guns look new ?
Old May 2, 2016, 09:34 AM   #4
KEYBEAR

Lots of rain the last two three days so I have had time to really look at the problem with the Base Pin . I have a second Ruger Super Blackhawk three screw that I have shot a bunch . The second Ruger shoots well and the Base Pin has never moved (why) it fits and locks the Base Pin as it should .

After looking at the Ruger with the problem I am thinking it is a bigger problem than just a Base Pin . I am going to try the Bowen Base Pin it should be in the mail box today . I thought about a Belt Mountain Base Pin but can not contact them so can not order ?

Last edited by KEYBEAR; May 2, 2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old May 2, 2016, 01:31 PM   #5
Roughedge

has it had the conversion on it? Have you tried cocking it and then install the base pin while cocked?
Old May 2, 2016, 06:37 PM   #6
KEYBEAR

has it had the conversion on it? Have you tried cocking it and then install the base pin while cocked?

No Conversion and please tell me how it would make a difference if it was cocked or not .
Old May 5, 2016, 03:23 PM   #7
Roughedge

I had one with the conversion and the transfer bar would jam and keep the pin from fully engaging, when half cocked it went in fine.
Old May 5, 2016, 08:45 PM   #8
KEYBEAR

No conversion .
I bought a new Base Pin from Grand Masters LLC ?
Works very well and took care of the problem .