The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2016, 09:01 AM   #26
us920669

Very interesting and informative. I buy 1 or 2 lbs at a time, store it inside with HVAC probably 90% of the time. I use a wooden crate about the size of a machinist tool box with metal handles on the sides, figure I can carry it out of the house if needed or toss it out a window. I've noticed that the original containers allow a bit of empty space and feature tops that will pop off, no doubt to prevent too much compression in the event of trouble. As the container depleats I usually transfer the powder into something smaller - I know it's a no-no - but always label very carefully, and what I have been using is a type of bottle for vitamins or nutritional supplements with a screw-on top that has a built in flap that would easily pop open. I also have a piece of paper with a few kernels every powder I have ever used under scorch tape so I can do visual comparison. Even the mystery powders from salvaged cartridges are labeled by cartridge and charge. I don't really go to it very often, but I like to know I've got it.
Old January 22, 2016, 11:58 AM   #27
WhyteP38

I put small desiccant packs in my powder jugs. I then store the jugs with large desiccant bags in a cool, dark area. On a regular basis, I "recharge" the desiccant by heating them in an oven per the manufacturer's directions. That may be overdoing things, but the desiccant is cheap insurance against humidity, considering it's "rechargeable."
Old January 22, 2016, 03:05 PM   #28
RC20

And chemical reaction between a desiccant and a powder?

Outside the container if you really are soaking wet environment, keep the container full up.

Powder is extremely impervious if you don't mess with it
Old January 22, 2016, 04:23 PM   #29
WhyteP38

I'm not a chemist, so I suppose there could be a chemical reaction between the desiccant and the powder, but I'm using desiccant packs like you find in new camera packages, pill bottles, etc. They have a covering - which by necessity must be permeable to some degree - but physical contact between desiccant and powder is still minimal, if any. Plus, wouldn't the nature of a desiccant - drawing moisture to itself - tend against a chemical reaction with the powder? Not being a chemist, I can't really say. Maybe the desiccant bags where I store the jugs prevent too much moisture from getting into the jugs in the first place. What I can say is that I've never had any issues in the six years I've done it.

Last edited by WhyteP38; January 22, 2016 at 05:29 PM.