The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 14, 2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Vinnie Harold

Just ordered a CQB..what else?

Hi.
After much soul and pocketbook searching, I decided to order a Wilson CQB, 5 in. in 45 a.c.p. in black on black finish.

According to the way it works, the order can be changed up until the time they start making the weapon, which will not be for many months.

The sales person told me that there was no longer much of a difference between the CQB and the CQB Elite, as both now come with the bullet-proof coating.

I decided to add the adjustable tritium night sights, and since it comes with a contoured magwell, I opted not to get the speed shoot magwell.

My question here is: As this is my only 1911 in 45 a.c.p. and will likely be for some time, is there anything else that I need to add to the order to make the firearm "complete"? What should I add that I will be sorry for not adding later?

It is to be used as a range and target auto, not CCW.

Those of you who have one might be able to give me info as to what else I should ask Wilson to do to my CQB.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old March 14, 2013, 03:48 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Quote:
both now come with the bullet-proof coating.
Niice. Post some videos of you shooting it so we know the legitimacy behind this!

Quote:
is there anything else that I need to add to the order to make the firearm "complete"?
For $2700 I would sure hope not. Wilson supposedly makes an excellent 1911. I don't think I would mess with it until I've had some rounds downrange with it.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 14, 2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Vinnie Harold

TunnelRat,

I'd love to post a picture of me shooting it, but there is a 12-18 month built time.

Actually it is not so bad. It is like I am buying it on layaway, so by the time it come time to send the money, I will have saved it.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:32 PM   #4
BigJimP

Well first of all, congratulations on making what I think is a great decision !

I would add the ambi-safety and the countersunk slide stop.....and depending on which sights you bought, I might consider some of their newer options with the battle sight and a fibre optic front sight...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...7&d=1360863612

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...8&d=1345227121

This CQB in 5" in .45 acp is my primary carry gun / and I wish I'd specd it with an ambi-safety. If I ever need to send it back to the factory for re-work, I'll have them add it - and the countersunk slide stop and probably the speed chute - but mine only has about 25,000 rds thru it ..and nothing wrong with it. ( I have an ambi safety on my Wilson Protector model 5" - and the speed chute - and I like both options ).

Last edited by BigJimP; March 14, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:38 PM   #5
RamItOne

VH not sure what type of adjustable sights come with the Wilson, my Sig 1911 Elite has adjustable target sights and I hate em. Get loose easily

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old March 14, 2013, 06:44 PM   #6
BigJimP

My mistake....

The CQB now comes standard with the Battle Rear sight ( not adjustable) and the Fibre Optic front sight..../ so the sights on your gun should be just fine. I wouldn't want adjustable rear sights on my Wilsons.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-cqb.asp
Old March 14, 2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Blue Duck

If it's a range gun, then I would stay with the adjustible BoMar style rear sight, because fine adjustments are nice, for really dialing in the point of impact, however most good fixed sighted 1911's do a pretty good job of putting the bullets on target at point of aim.

I am left handed, so I need an ambi-safety, but If I was right handed, I would not get the ambi-safety, because they are a little more trouble prone, and if you are right handed you just don't need it. The single side safety is also stronger.

For a front sight, if I ordered today, I would get the one with the gold dot in-bedded in the face. Night sights don't show that well unless it's really dark, but the gold dot is pretty easy to see, and probably more robust then some of the other high vis sights.

I have a 5 inch Wilson, It's the best 1911 I have even owned.
Old March 14, 2013, 10:25 PM   #8
orionengnr

If this is to be your only 1911, I think you have chosen well. Kind of like owning just one car, and it being a ZL1 Camaro. Like the ZL1, the Wilson is capable of pedestrian, everyday, knock-around use. But...it is also capable of exceptional performance when you choose to do so.

I am not sure that it will be your only 1911 a year from now.

Enjoy, and get us a range report with pics when you can.
Old March 14, 2013, 11:13 PM   #9
redhologram

Definitely enjoy your new gun when you get it.
My fiance' has a 5" WC 1911 .45 (I want to say he has either the Classic or Classic Supergrade, not certain off top of my head but seems right) but it is really nice to shoot. He doesn't use it as his primary carry, however, just occasionally. He typically carries his Glock 19 as primary.
Old March 14, 2013, 11:20 PM   #10
Wreck-n-Crew

If i'm spending $2700 or more im thinking Nighthawk all the way
Old March 15, 2013, 04:15 AM   #11
LockedBreech

Take lots of pictures. It will be quite a few years until I can afford one. I think Wilson makes arguably finest rig aside from the $6000+ full customs, and I think their Supergrades are easily as good as any 1911 made. The CQB is a fantastic gun, and probably the one I will get - that or an Ed Brown.

So...yeah...pictures are what is needed to complete the gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck-n-Crew
If i'm spending $2700 or more I'm thinking Nighthawk all the way
I'm not sure how this adds to the discussion. It's fine if you prefer a Nighthawk, they make a quality 1911 (though I personally think OP made the right call with Wilson). But OP clearly bought a Wilson. The $2700 is spent. OP wants to know about finishing touches, not about getting a different gun.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:37 AM   #12
Vinnie Harold

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your help and good wishes.

I agree with the single safety as opposed to paying for the ambi one as I am right handed.

I will look into the gold bead front sight but perhaps you can tell me why you prefer that over the green or red. I understand that the tritium night sights might not be the best option if I am not shooting in the dark.

Jim, what is the benefit of the counter sunk slide stop as it is $130, which I can easily spend on the speed shoot?

Again, thanks, and keep the suggestions coming. Knowledge is ammunition, and thank goodness you guys make it easier to come by than 45 a.c.p.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:47 AM   #13
Vinnie Harold

Jim,

Sorry, I was wrong. The counter sunk slide stop is only $60, but perhaps you can tell me why you feel it is a good option.

Also, the auto comes with a contoured magwell....why pay an additional $130 for the speed shoot magwell?

Thanks
Old March 15, 2013, 06:22 AM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Harold
My question here is: As this is my only 1911 in 45 a.c.p. and will likely be for some time, is there anything else that I need to add to the order to make the firearm "complete"? What should I add that I will be sorry for not adding later?
Magazines and boolits. . . . Lots, & lots, of boolits!

Congratulations on your CQB!
Old March 15, 2013, 07:33 AM   #15
Double Naught Spy

I have several CQBs, 2 sizes, mostly standard configurations. I think they are excellent guns.

With that said, Vinnie, what is your intended purpose of your CQB? If for carry, I would suggest NOT getting adjustable sights. The standard sights are more than adequate for defensive shooting and have very little snag potential. If the gun isn't for carry purposes, then I would say that your sight choice is a good one.

I like mine with thin grips (all my 1911s, in fact) because it makes all the controls that much easier to reach without changing the grip).

Sorry your gun will take so long, but I am sure you will be very pleased with it when it arrives.
Old March 15, 2013, 11:25 AM   #16
BigJimP

I'm not a competition shooter....but I do shoot some tactical drills with my buddies...and an ambi-safety is pretty important if you're shooting "weak hand"...

I like the look of the countersunk slide lock pin...and it helps make it, a "no issue" of bumping it and jamming the gun.

I like the larger speed chute over the standard beveled mag well...my reloads are a few tenths of a second faster on my Wilson with the speed chute vs the one with the beveled mag well.
---------
Nothing is free...but long after you've forgotten the price.../ if you love the way the gun is setup, it'll be great. But those are just the options I would choose today ....

I bought my CQB in 2003 ( it was in inventory at my local dealer ) and it was the standard CQB at the time - no ambi safety, beveled mag well, and it did have the black armor tuff finish on it ) photo is in my note up above. Its been a great gun / I have about 25,000 rds thru it now / about a box a week - not a single problem with the gun.

My other wilson is a Protector, 5", in 9mm ...and its set up with ambi safety, speed chute, etc ..and I just like it better ..bought it new in 2006 and I have a little over 45,000 rds thru it now....

Both are great guns ...and yours will be too, regardless of how you spec it.
---------
Personally, if I were to rank my 1911's ....Wilsons would be #1, my Ed Brown a close 2nd ( 5" Kobra Carry) ----- don't have a Nighthawk but some of my buddies do and they're nice guns, but not better than my Brown or Wilsons, so I'd rank them at # 3 ---- a couple of my Kimbers would be a distand 4th, and my Les Baer Monolith about 5th.. ( but that is just my opinon ) based on the 1911's I own and have shot ...

Last edited by BigJimP; March 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old March 15, 2013, 11:41 AM   #17
Vinnie Harold

Just got finished reading a few posts about changing out the Wilson standard hammer and trigger, and having Wilson build the auto with their silver trigger and stainless hammer which is supposed to be lighter.

Am I getting crazy?

I thought the CQB was a darn good gun, and very few changes were necessary. I understand a change for eye appeal, but the trigger and hammer, and maybe also the flat wire spring should also be added and switch out the standard spring.

Does it ever end? Is the CQB ever done?

Maybe I should stop reading these posts and be happy with what I got...I know I'll sleep better!
Old March 15, 2013, 12:11 PM   #18
BigJimP

Oh, no, I think you should put the Wilson Web site as your screen saver....and visit the picture of your CQB to come ...at least twice a day ...

and whine, every day, for the next 18 months....

I don't know about the springs...consider it when you need to replace them is probably my recommendation. Trigger and hammer ...I don't know / its an awful nice gun just the way it is !!
Old March 15, 2013, 02:53 PM   #19
TxFlyFish

surefire x300u and crimson trace
Old March 19, 2013, 03:41 PM   #20
Vinnie Harold

List of Options Complete...thanks to all of you!

I finally took everyone's advice and made a list of what I wanted, and called WC and finally closed out my ticket.

All I have to do is wait 14 months for the weapon.

My build includes:

Wilson Combat CQB Elite 5" .45ACP
Black Armor Tuff finish
Keep Wilson logo behind the rear cocking serrations BOTH sides
Engrave "Wilson Combat" on the dust cover in a script font
Flush cut/reverse crown barrel
Ball endmill cuts
Omit front serrations
No markings on the slide
Flat wire recoil spring upgrade
G10 Black Starburst grips with flat bottom for magwell
Sterling silver grip medallions
Hex head grip screws, black Armor Tuff
Stainless hammer
3 hole trigger - keep silver color
Gold bead front sight
Countersink slide stop
Speed chute magwell – no lanyard
Single side safety

When all is said and done, I think it should be a stand out specimen.

Again, my thanks to all of you for your assistance.

Vinnie
Old March 19, 2013, 03:47 PM   #21
Spats McGee
Staff

14 months!

That's a long time for us to wait for that range report, you know.

On the up side, I guess you've got time to wait for the panic to die down and stock up on bullets. I suspect that thing's gonna be hungry!

Last edited by Spats McGee; March 19, 2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 19, 2013, 06:41 PM   #22
BigJimP

Congratulations ...I'm confident it will be a great gun !
Old March 19, 2013, 08:02 PM   #23
buckhorn_cortez

1. The Wilson low mount adjustable battle sights do not come loose, get out of adjustment, or snag on clothing. I have them on two Wilsons and they work fine.

2. Countersunk slide stop is useful if you put a laser sight on the pistol or you want the gun to draw slightly easier out of the holster.

3. Gold bead sights are easier to see in most all lighting conditions. Fiber optic sights work fine with lots of light but are difficult to see under low light conditions. I have them on two guns and do not like fiber optic sights as they get dirty from powder fouling and that makes them dimmer in any lighting conditions - so you have to clean them regularly for optimal performance.

4. Speed chute versus contoured magwell. The speed chute is a larger opening making magazine changes somewhat faster as the speed chute guides the magazine into the gun.

5. "Bullet Proof" is a name for parts and not a coating. Bullet Proof parts are made from bar stock. Wilson used to use some cast parts on CQB's - all Bullet Proof parts means every part is made from bar stock material.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; March 19, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old March 19, 2013, 09:09 PM   #24
LockedBreech

Just ordered a CQB..what else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Harold View Post
I finally took everyone's advice and made a list of what I wanted, and called WC and finally closed out my ticket.

All I have to do is wait 14 months for the weapon.

My build includes:

Wilson Combat CQB Elite 5" .45ACP
Black Armor Tuff finish
Keep Wilson logo behind the rear cocking serrations BOTH sides
Engrave "Wilson Combat" on the dust cover in a script font
Flush cut/reverse crown barrel
Ball endmill cuts
Omit front serrations
No markings on the slide
Flat wire recoil spring upgrade
G10 Black Starburst grips with flat bottom for magwell
Sterling silver grip medallions
Hex head grip screws, black Armor Tuff
Stainless hammer
3 hole trigger - keep silver color
Gold bead front sight
Countersink slide stop
Speed chute magwell – no lanyard
Single side safety

When all is said and done, I think it should be a stand out specimen.

Again, my thanks to all of you for your assistance.

Vinnie
Sounds like a very cool build
Old March 20, 2013, 02:41 AM   #25
biohazurd

You have reached a crossroad im sure i never will... Enjoy! I cant even bring together the funds for a gold cup.