The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 8, 2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Sad Find Today

I tried hunting my FILs small parcel today. I've only been there twice before as no other land I hunt is in the area so I don't have any doe tags.

Walking in, found this guy at the edge of the field:

Wish I'd had the chance to poke a hole in him.
I generally don't miss.

Did manage to see some live deer too... Good doe and her two fawns. Momma is lucky I didn't have a tag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355020039.674951.jpg (67.2 KB, 490 views)
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355020052.363571.jpg (81.6 KB, 482 views)
Old December 8, 2012, 09:42 PM   #2
sserdlihc

Truly is a sad find.
Old December 8, 2012, 10:00 PM   #3
klyph3

Are you permitted to salvage the antlers from a found corpse?
Old December 8, 2012, 10:37 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Everyone does, but the actual legality never occurred to me until it was my butt that would be on the line.

I was figuring to call DEC tomorrow and ask.
Old December 8, 2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Rob228

To lighten it up a bit, I saw this guy on my way to Anthropology class the other day, he's missing his right antler.

Old December 9, 2012, 06:52 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Any idea what caused the demise of that buck Brian? That would be a real shame if a hunter never recovered it.
Old December 9, 2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't dig around but it's hundreds of yards from the road and even farther from the "main" road, which is really a back road between towns.
We're at the tail-end of gun season so I assume he was shot and not recovered.
Old December 9, 2012, 03:48 PM   #8
jakemonroe

wait that isn't cu campus is it?
Old December 9, 2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I didn't dig around but it's hundreds of yards from the road and even farther from the "main" road, which is really a back road between towns.
We're at the tail-end of gun season so I assume he was shot and not recovered.
I assumed as much. That is a real shame.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:14 PM   #10
ZeroJunk

Could be one of the Hemorrhagic diseases as well. Lot of it around here this year. I found two dead around my house back in the late summer.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:27 PM   #11
David13

I was wondering about the legality and the ethic of taking the rack myself.
I came across one good rack in Sept. in Utah and that crossed my mind. It was a banged up Honda, or similar by the side of the road with leo, and the rack way on the other side.
I was tempted to stop and try to obtain the rack, but I was on my motorcycle. I thought it would look good, bungeed off the back of my bike. But it was a busy road, with not much shoulder, and I wondered if the leo didn't already have his eye on the rack. It was good looking.
Could be the car driver might have claimed claiming rights as well, or thought he needed it for evidence to the insurance company or whatever.
dc
Old December 10, 2012, 09:40 AM   #12
Hunter Customs

Nice buck Brian, I always hate to find them dead like that.

While horseback I cover a lot of ground, I've found a lot of dead deer in our part of the country this year.
I found a pretty nice six pointer and two does the other day while I was out horseback.

I find most of them near a water source, I been told that's a good sign they died of Blue Tongue or Hemorrhagic disease.
I've also been told our unseasonably warm weather and the drought were in is adding to the problem.

In Missouri you can take a rack from a dead deer but you have to contact a conservation agent first to get permission to do so.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 10, 2012, 10:33 AM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I been told that's a good sign they died of Blue Tongue or Hemorrhagic disease.
I'll have to look into it a bit closer but I've never heard of either of those diseases around here.
Old December 10, 2012, 05:49 PM   #14
markj

Quote:
I'll have to look into it a bit closer but I've never heard of either of those diseases around here.
Gee, google up CWD. It is nation wide now.

I find dead deer at times, found one was hit by a car was 1/4 mile off the road. Adrenaline helped him along I imagine.
Old December 10, 2012, 06:11 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I came across one good rack in Sept. in Utah and that crossed my mind. It was a banged up Honda, or similar by the side of the road with leo, and the rack way on the other side.
I was tempted to stop and try to obtain the rack, but I was on my motorcycle. I thought it would look good, bungeed off the back of my bike. But it was a busy road, with not much shoulder, and I wondered if the leo didn't already have his eye on the rack. It was good looking.
In Utah, road-killed deer get the antlers cut or broken off by the first available LEO equipped with bolt cutters or a saw (animal control, traffic cop, highway patrol, whatever). Then the body is left to rot, or is picked up by a disposal crew - depending on the area.
He wouldn't have let you take the head/rack.

Actually possessing a rack from a 'naturally' killed animal is a bit of a grey area, in and of itself, due to conflicting laws.
You can legally take 'found' racks that are still attached to the skull, but only after having a game warden clear any suspicion of poaching and verify a 'natural' death, on-site.
At the same time, it is illegal to possess big game parts (other than naturally-dropped antlers), without a tag or permit from the kill - which you don't get with natural deaths.
Combined with about a dozen other conflicting wildlife regulations and state laws, it creates a situation where even the game wardens aren't always sure if it's legal to possess something.

Add the fact that it was September, with Archery and Muzzleloader hunts going on... and you definitely would not have wanted to have that head/rack in your possession - especially in plain sight. Even if everyone decided you were 100% legal, it would have taken several hours worth of detainment and questioning, by multiple officers, for them to come to that conclusion.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:34 PM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by markj
Gee, google up CWD. It is nation wide now
CWD has never been detected in our deer populations, except for 5 captive deer in Oneida County and two wild deer within the containment area set up afterwords, all cases in April of 2005

No case has been detected in NY in the 7 years since, with over 31,000 animals tested.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:45 PM   #17
ZeroJunk

CWD and Hemorrhagic fever are two different things.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:22 PM   #18
Hunter Customs

Missouri Conservation Department seems to think Hemorrhagic, Blue Tongue and CWD are different types of diseases.
Hemorrhagic and Blue Tongue is spread by the same biting insects and both of these diseases are not always fatal to deer.
CWD is fatal and spread through infectious prions in saliva, urine or feces from infected animals.

We have cases of all three diseases in Missouri, however it's claimed that CWD as of now is contained in six Missouri counties.
The county I live in ( DeKalb) is not supposed to have any known cases of CWD.

Whatever it is that's killing our deer we sure lost a lot of them in our county.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 10, 2012, 10:36 PM   #19
MikeGunz

Found three dead deer this season. 1 buck and two does. Had their butts eating buy yotes but nothing like that. Think one was a victim of a run in with a car not sure what killed the other two. Definitely a waste.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:04 PM   #20
ZeroJunk

Here is a good page on hemorrhagic fever.

Like Hunter Customs said the chronic wasting disease is a prion. It is a lot more of a concern, to me anyway, because there is no treatment for it. It appears to be nothing more than a mis shapen protein that replicates itself and has no DNA or RNA like a virus or bacteria and isn't even denatured by cooking it well. I don't know whether any person has ever gotten it from a deer, but I don't want any part of one. They say that you can't get hemorrhagic fever from eating a deer infected with it, buy I'm not going to eat one that shows any sign of disease, spots, hoof abnormalities or what not either.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/diseases/hd.asp
Old December 10, 2012, 11:29 PM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I suppose it could be anything, but I'd go 10:1 that it was shot and not recovered.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:48 PM   #22
markj

Seeing deer here died of lack of nutrients due to drought conditions. Forage left isnt enough to support them, some say it causes the blue tongue some say it makes the CWD. Dont matter, deer die every day.

Found one had an arrow in its back, lungs were out its mouth it ran till it died arrow slapping it like that. Someone cut the rack off left it there.

Hit like 9 in the car and truck last 15 years. No lack of deer here in my area. Come and get em. Only good deer is a dead deer in my freezer..