The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Rangefinder

.40 S&W HP playing...

So I've been playing with some different powders again, and found a load that my .40 HP (one of my personal mold mods) REEEALLY likes...

With 50/50 alloy finishing right at 165gr and loaded over 9.4gr 2400 and set at OAL 1.135 and fired at 10yds. into water jugs... THIS happens:

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old February 7, 2012, 07:54 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Now that is just downright gorgeous!

Weight retention?

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 7, 2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Stick_man

+1 That this is a work of art. Couldn't ask for any better expansion. It looks like you have near 100% weight retention as well.

What are you shooting it out of? Any idea on your velocities?
Old February 7, 2012, 10:28 PM   #4
TXGunNut

Looks like you're on to something good! I'm guessing 925-950fps, any chance you chrono'd it?
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old February 7, 2012, 10:43 PM   #5
salvadore

Is 50/50 like WWs and lead?
Old February 8, 2012, 12:02 AM   #6
Rangefinder

Retention was 156.4gr out of 165--so darn-near 100% retention. What I haven't done yet is throw the Mic on it to see the expansion percentage--other than the general eye-ball conclusion that it would make a heck of a mess.

50/50 is WW and dead-soft. There is a touch of tin sweetening it--I tend to sweeten all my WW melts as I smelt them right before pouring my bricks, but it works out to only 1% after cut with soft.

Velocity is a guess since my chrony went to velocity heaven some time ago, but I'd put it in the 950 range confidently.

Old February 11, 2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Mike / Tx

Rangefinder,

Did your home modded mold start out as a Lee 2 cavity? If so would you mind sharing your pin deminsions?

I have a 10mm, which would probably do awful things to feral hogs, with something similar to that. I've looked at a couple of molds for it but since I have plenty to do with several other of my true hunting revolvers, I haven't gotten the itch to play with it just yet.

Thanks
Old February 11, 2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Rangefinder

Mike,
It's a Lee 6-cav, BUT I HAVE done Lee 2-cav's as well and they turn out great.

I'll have to run out to the shop in a bit to grab the pin and a mic for the dimensions for you, so I'll come back and edit those in. In the meantime, here's how I do my HP mods...

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=123677

Edit: Pin dimensions are .165 diameter set to a cavity depth of .330 and the pin point tapers to .125 from half way to the point and is rounded off.

Last edited by Rangefinder; February 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old February 11, 2012, 08:18 PM   #9
salvadore

You may find this interesting....or not. I have a 454190 Lyman mold, (the traditional bullet for the .45 Colt), That I had modified into a hollow point. I see this perfectly expanded bullet at the beginning of this thread and figure I could do just as good. I load some up using 2400 and a crimp and a half get me 4 gallon jugs of water, line em up on the tail gate of my truck put one of the catridges in my '73 win. copy, drop back ten feet line it up and touch it off. Why do you think four jugs of water would have the water go in the opposite direction as the bullet? Anyway, I recovered one .45 calibre collar button and two small pieces of lead and was almost completely dry by the time i got home. Next time I try this I will seek adult supervision.
Old February 11, 2012, 09:20 PM   #10
TXGunNut

Are we going to see the video on YouTube, Sal?
Old February 11, 2012, 10:45 PM   #11
salvadore

no vid no witnesses, shoulda kept my mouth shut.
Old February 12, 2012, 07:17 AM   #12
Mike / Tx

Quote:
and a half get me 4 gallon jugs of water, line em up on the tail gate of my truck put one of the catridges in my '73 win. copy, drop back ten feet line it up and touch it off. Why do you think four jugs of water would have the water go in the opposite direction as the bullet? Anyway, I recovered one .45 calibre collar button and two small pieces of lead and was almost completely dry by the time i got home. Next time I try this I will seek adult supervision.
Sounds like some of my past testing, but don't forgot to say, " hey watch this".

Similar test using a Gold Dot, and my 45 ACP. Had a creek bank which had some VERY suitable clay just on the other side, maybe 10' or so away at most, maybe. I decided it would be cool to pop a round into it and be easy to recover the bullet. Well turns out the clay was MUCH softer just under the semi dryish looking surface, and just like in your example, for every action there is usually an equal and opposite reaction. Yep I got a face full of mud.

Quote:
no vid no witnesses, shoulda kept my mouth shut.
Yea well, it's all good. I guarantee your not the lone wolf on this site of thinking something was a good idea at the time, I'm not even going to start with some of my other adventures......
Old February 12, 2012, 10:40 AM   #13
Rangefinder

HAH! At least we're all in good company, right? This all reminds me of testing the potential penetration on my paper patched winchester loads last fall. I lined up about 6 jugs stuffed full of shredded newspaper and topped off with water thinking to myself "this ought to work great to examine my hunting load potential...". From about 15 feet I let one rip---"BANG!!---PLOP!!---I had soggy, shredded newsprint hanging all over me. Pure Genius!

Old February 12, 2012, 11:37 AM   #14
TXGunNut

Nobody's laughing at you, Sal. Thanks for posting your story. Hope it wasn't a cold ride home.
Old February 12, 2012, 12:10 PM   #15
Rangefinder

Quote:
Nobody's laughing at you, Sal. Thanks for posting your story. Hope it wasn't a cold ride home.
Oh no, I am DEFINITELY laughing AT you... Only because I have plenty of my own Homer Simpson moments, and I'd expect YOU to laugh at ME on any such occasion. And because if you didn't all-out laugh at me on many such strokes of genius, there are things wrong with you that we can't help you with...

All hail the mighty silver stream and the many adventures it includes!

Old February 12, 2012, 12:50 PM   #16
Mike / Tx

Hey Rangefinder,

Thanks for the info.

I have probably seen that post at least a once or more over on CB's, as I have been looking at doing one of my Lee DC .452-255gr RF molds in a similar fashion. It is just hard to tell on the pins what might work better in them.

I jumped in on a GB for my 41 and am looking forward to getting that one to play with. Right now however I am simply trying to learn how to work with the Lyman Devestators. Hoping to put some of them down range next weekend through my 44.

Thanks again,

And Sal, no sir not laughing "AT" you at all, "WITH" you all the way bud. As you can see, your not alone in the crowd, we have all done something we would rather have a redo on, some of us, several times.....