The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 12, 2000, 02:30 AM   #1
hoosierboy

I heard somehere someone makes an ar-15 or ar-15 look alike that shoots .22 lr ammo. I have a friend whose kid wants one but doesnt want to spend the 800-1000 dollars.

My question is how much are they and who makes them?
Old March 12, 2000, 10:07 AM   #2
Outlaw1

Maybe this should be in the rifle forum.

You are talkin' about the AP-74 made by the Italian company Armi Jager, and imported by EMF in Kal. Several years ago Mr. Jager died, and nobody took over for him.
I think Kassnar bought out what was left and produced a few rifles called the AP-15, which was the same rifle as the AP-74. These rifles and the parts are no longer being made, but it is possible to find a used one every now and then at gun shows and through Shotgun News.
They are almost exactly the same size, weight, design, etc. as the AR-15, except they are dedicated .22 LR, and come with a 15 round magazine, which slides into the rifle through a "dummy mag" which looks like a 10 rd. AR-15 mag, but is actually part of the lower reciever.
They also accept AR-15 parts, such as grip, handguards, flash-hider, scope mounts, etc., with no or very little modifications.

I've had one for 17 years, put thousands of rounds through it, and it'll STILL shoot 3/4" - 1" groups at over 100 yards!

------------------
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-Ronald Reagan
Old March 13, 2000, 11:56 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

It's probably Mitchell Arms which imported a lookalike AK and AR from Italy.

Along a more expensive vein though, the advantage of a dedicated 22LR AR upper includes: no gas tube to foul with leading; smaller bore diameter (.221 instead of .224) for better fit, slower twist (1-7" to 1-10" are way too fast). The consequences of the latter two is that the 40 grain lead bullet gets deformed as it bounces down through the barrel. There is no accuracy to speak of. Thus, it is far better to have a .22 upper if you chose to go that route.

Accuracy Speaks makes a dedicated .22 upper as does Olympic Arms, Victor Arms and Leitner Wise. They can cost anywhere from $700 (Accuracy Speaks to $400 Victor Arms). Check out this thread for more info:
http://forums.ar15.com/Forum22/HTML/000163.html

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited March 13, 2000).]
Old March 13, 2000, 06:56 PM   #4
Outlaw1

Oh yeah, 4V50 Gary's right too. I forgot Mitchell Arms also imported it as the M16 A1/22, and also the carbine version. But I don't remember what that one was called.

They retailed for between $275 and $300, and I think the carbine went for around $350. I have no idea what they would run now though.
Good luck finding one!

------------------
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-Ronald Reagan
Old March 13, 2000, 07:52 PM   #5
hoosierboy

thanks for the replise I wen to the ar 15 thread you linked and Now that I think about it would be a nice gun to buy. I think the interest would be there for people like me that dont reload the price in ammo is a whole lot better. If theyre out there, and I say if, I would buy one. With the price of an ar15 going around $1000 bucks it would be pretty cool to get one.
Old March 15, 2000, 07:52 PM   #6
hoosierboy

I found one locally and am going to pick one up and so is my friend on friday. A company called armscor makes them fo 200 bucks. The place is www.midwestgunexchange.com
Old March 16, 2000, 04:43 AM   #7
TwoGuns

Hey, those "ArmsCor" M16 .22lr's are piece of junk, I have one. It says it's made by Squires and Bingham on the barrel, so ArmsCor must be a distributor or something. The one I got had it's barrel bent ever so slightly that I didn't notice it. Pulling back the cocking handle can give you a nice big cut because of sharp edges, and it doesn't even look like an M16 to boot.

Here's a link to a picture.
http://www.davidsonsinc.com/dealers/...ges/ga1950.jpg
Old March 16, 2000, 12:30 PM   #8
Outlaw1

I think TwoGuns is right about the Squires-Bingham rifles. I haven't heard many good things about them, except that some were used in some sort of uprisings in the Phillipines.

I don't have a link to an AP-74 pic, but there is a picture of mine in the Guns and Ammo Club, in the clubs section of Yahoo.com.
You have to sign up with "My Yahoo" and join the club to see the photos, but it is free.