The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 30, 2017, 03:56 AM   #1
mellow_c

Getting serious about cleaning rods !?

So like many others out there, I've been using the standard "Outers brass cleaning rod kits" for many years. Most of us probably get them from Walmart?

They have always worked well enough, but they bend and will even break after a lot of use.

I still like them because they are easily adjustable for pistols, and short or long rifles because of the 3 piece rod, which also makes it easy to store.

But I'd really like a good one piece cleaning rod for ease of use.

I bought a 1 piece outers cleaning rod from Walmart a while back, but NONE of the Outers Bronze Bore Brushes would fit on the end of the rod. It was the strangest thing. They were either too big, or too small to fit properly. That also includes any number of the small attachment pieces that fit the brush to the end of the rod, non of the attacment pieces were of any help to fit the brush to the one piece rod.

So, I've given up on that rod.

All I'm really looking for is a good one piece cleaning rod that I can easily attach the Outers Bronze Bore Brushes too. I want to use these brushes because they are so plentiful and relatively inexpensive, even though they wear out kind of quickly.

I'd also like a rod that will work with .22 and up.

Anyone been able to crack the code on this one yet? I'd really appreciate some help.

Thanks!
Old January 30, 2017, 09:57 AM   #2
DaleA

Disclaimer: I'm in the Walmart cheapie cleaning kit camp.

That said, the Tipton carbon fiber rod seems to get a lot of love:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/190...d-carbon-fiber

There also seems to be a LOT of interest in the 'pull thru' cleaning kits.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/666...s-cleaning-kit

Good luck.
Old January 30, 2017, 12:05 PM   #3
DMK

I got sick of screwing around with unstatisfactory cleaning rods about a dozen years ago.

I bought a Dewey handgun cleaning rod and another for my rifles. Never had to buy another.

They aren't that expensive.
Old February 1, 2017, 04:27 AM   #4
mellow_c

Great.

Thanks guys.

So, are those compatible with the cheap walmart brushes?
Old February 1, 2017, 06:06 AM   #5
Nathan

+1 to DMK's suggestion
Old February 1, 2017, 07:38 AM   #6
mdcmn7

Can you change the tips of the Dewey rod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old February 1, 2017, 10:11 AM   #7
KenL

I have a Tipton carbon fiber one piece rod. It accepts brushes, jags etc that I've bought everywhere--Wal-Mart, Bass Pro, Cabelas, and you name it.
Old February 1, 2017, 08:09 PM   #8
NHSHOOTER

I have a 1 piece stainless rod that fits all the brushes and jags I have, much better option than the 3 piece bronze. I also like the bore snakes for a quick cleaning.
Old February 2, 2017, 06:42 AM   #9
mdcmn7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSHOOTER View Post
I have a 1 piece stainless rod that fits all the brushes and jags I have, much better option than the 3 piece bronze. I also like the bore snakes for a quick cleaning.

How are those on the bore/crown?

I've always been under the impression that regular use with a hard metal rod can do damage over time. Which is why brass or soft rods are used

Those old army cleaning kits are plentiful, fairly cheap, the rods fit the Walmart kits and are sturdy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old February 2, 2017, 05:37 PM   #10
NHSHOOTER

I use a bore guide and you get much less flex from the stainless than other rods I have seen no ill effects using the stainless and I did a good amount of research here on other sites before changing to stainless.
Old February 3, 2017, 11:34 AM   #11
F. Guffey

Concord, NH! I miss going to the 'Sugar Shack'.

Cleaning rods have gone through some changes; a few have gone with the flow by making corrections. In the old days there were a few that ground the joints of the cleaning rods to eliminate the bump sound when the joints hit the muzzle/rifling and there were those that taped the joints.

And then there was a picture that has only been seen by me. It wasn't a picture for gun sake it was a picture for art's sake; anyhow, the picture won an award. I thought it was an amazing picture' and I wondered, if what I saw in the picture was accurate there is a big chance muzzle erosion (ME) may not be caused by the cleaning rod.

One day I watched a demonstration, my local gun parts man was demonstrating a bore snake in a shotgun. I do not remember ever seeing so much fluff and action. I really had to fight it but I have old metal screens I use on shotguns and lots of patches that fill the bore. A few days later a shooter called and said he had a bore snake stuck in his barrel; it was about this time I made a bore clean out system. It is impossible to stick and of lock up and even it is fool proof and no one read the directions the tool can be taken apart in the barrel.

F. Guffey
Old February 3, 2017, 05:57 PM   #12
Nathan

Quote:
Can you change the tips of the Dewey rod?
Yes, male or female type....comes with the adapter.
Old February 3, 2017, 06:50 PM   #13
F. Guffey

Quote:
I use a bore guide and you get much less flex from the stainless than other rods I have seen no ill effects using the stainless and I did a good amount of research here on other sites before changing to stainless.
And I have always wondered about flexing rods, if the rod flexes why do reloaders push them. If I was worried about the a flexing rod I would pull it, ever time.

F. Guffey
Old February 4, 2017, 07:16 AM   #14
turkeestalker

I've used quite a few different one piece rods through the years, carbon fiber, Teflon coated steel, and so on. I've settled on a couple of stainless Pro Shot one piece rods and use a bore guide from both muzzle and breech religiously. Both the larger and smaller diameter rods are the same thread which is compatible with most brushes, swabs, patch eyes, and jags.
I do use an adapter for the larger diameter shotgun items.
Old February 15, 2017, 08:36 AM   #15
rodfac

Any down side to the bore snake as to wear to the muzzle crown, etc? I do know that they occasionally break and are a royal PITA to get out. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 15, 2017, 10:55 AM   #16
Targa

A bore snake is what I primarily use. I have been using the cheap knock offs that I ordered from Amazon for a couple of years now and they have worked very well with no ill effect. With that said, they are now reserved for handgun duty and I have replaced the knock offs with Otis Ripcords for long gun use just to alleviate any possible break offs in the long gun barrels.
Old February 15, 2017, 12:51 PM   #17
BoogieMan

I use the Tipton 1 piece carbon rods. I have a 12 & 36. Fits everything I own. I cant imagine ever breaking a cleaning rod.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 17, 2017, 04:10 PM   #18
Dunsouth

I use Otis cable style instead of rods and cut my own patches. That way I can make them extra large and long. Pull through a couple times and you're good to go.
Old February 20, 2017, 09:15 AM   #19
Chris_B

Another vote for Dewey