The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 26, 2015, 06:51 PM   #1
308Loader

+/- Gr 9mm loads

My new lee auto drum got here today. Got it all set up on my 4 hole press. Dialed in the drop I wanted and dropped 20 charges and weighed them.

Goal was 6.1gr hs6 got
min 5.8 max 6.2 = .4gr difference. Only 1 at 5.8 and 1 at 6.2 two at 5.9. This is well inside the charge weight min/max listed in Hornady book. Do you all think this is acceptable range to stop weighing all charges and go with it, or do I need to try and tweek it some. Or should more data be collected?

One other note on this powder measure is the disconnector button. I don't need to push it every time to drop powder. I have not disabled it. If I run the turret without the indexing rod it needs to be pressed every time but if I let it rotate through the stations, not pressing the button, it drops every time. I did the initial run of 20 without indexing and pressing the button. The next 50 I did running the turret and weighing the charge before seating a bullet. Similar results as the 20 as far as consistency, just dumped the odd ones back in the hopper and kept the balls on ones.

As always I look forward to your input. Hope every one had a great x-mas.

Last edited by 308Loader; December 26, 2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old December 26, 2015, 07:34 PM   #2
KW Gary M

If you are loading target/plinking rounds I wouldn't worry about it at all. With that little of a difference you're probably fine even with protection ammo. All your charges are within the acceptable range. I'm sure if you opened and weighed the powder in a box of any factory ammo every round wouldn't be 100% exact to the grain.
Old December 26, 2015, 08:12 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

Those are plenty good drops.

I calculate a Standard Deviation of 0.10706; and an average of 6.05789.

I sing a lot of praises of my 31 year-old Uniflow. But it would be hard pressed to do much better.
Old December 26, 2015, 09:41 PM   #4
Bosn Ski

I have the drum too and disconnected the 'button'. I have found that if I over tighten the drum too much, the weights are all over the place. I back off on the torque on the knob a skosh... and I see more consistent drops.